Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
I like clinical though, must be the scientist in me!

I don't think you are mad, I have learned so much from you

Kikopup does a lot of talking to!

I do wonder how much of it is really just background noise to the dog though, and it's just us who think we are helping them in any way?
Lol
Yes sometimes the clinical quiet does work, sometimes the chatter seems to help
For some reason I could never get Ben to maintain the 'sit up and beg' position for any time at all till I had read about the intermediate bridge
usually to maintain a position I would rapid fire treat - but that made him unstable - or left bigger gaps between the clicks
But neither was working for him
but I tried the IB type thing (I do lalalalalalalaLALA) and he happily held still

For something like the weaves tho i found chatter not helpfull at all and I am better to keep silent till they figure it out for themselves

So it kind of looks - for me and my pair - the IB/KGS noises work for maintaining positions and movements that dont require much thinking about - but if they have to use their brains its best if I am quiet
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:04 PM
Originally Posted by rune View Post
Mine is 'what do you think you're doing!

Rhetorical question!

rune
love it!
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
It depends on your style and the individual dog and your ethos.

Nina Bondarenko for example uses a "bridge" or "keep going" marker using ex ex ex ex EXCELLENT!

I sometimes use it in a particular context (mine is clever).

So it is not only a variance in methods but what your dog copes with.

My dogs generally find verbals in most contexts as an interruption to their concentration. This is because their MAIN keep going cue is of course, SILENCE!

So basically whether or not you use the voice can depend on you, the individual dog, the exercise, the environment etc.

Does that make sense?

As in all things, I think you can give too much and too little feedback whether it is verbal or body language or clicking etc.

This is why, when training or judging others, it can be difficult (unless you know the partnership well) to determine (at first) whether handlers are being helpful or obstructive!
This is very interesting to me, as I was always told I talk to my dog far too much when training, and when I stopped with that particular dog her concentration and focus increased. However, the reverse happened with one of my border collies. Obviously, as with most things in training, there are no set and blanket rules.

Thanks for that
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
Lol
Yes sometimes the clinical quiet does work, sometimes the chatter seems to help
For some reason I could never get Ben to maintain the 'sit up and beg' position for any time at all till I had read about the intermediate bridge
usually to maintain a position I would rapid fire treat - but that made him unstable - or left bigger gaps between the clicks
But neither was working for him
but I tried the IB type thing (I do lalalalalalalaLALA) and he happily held still

For something like the weaves tho i found chatter not helpfull at all and I am better to keep silent till they figure it out for themselves

So it kind of looks - for me and my pair - the IB/KGS noises work for maintaining positions and movements that dont require much thinking about - but if they have to use their brains its best if I am quiet
That really makes a whole lot of sense, thanks! The only prolonged position I have trained is a sit/down stay, so it's not came up yet

I'm just thinking now, with the open channel weave, I wonder if I should start adding a NRM right away if he takes the wrong entry, rather than let him run on and bring him back in with just no reward? I am now overthinking this? I just let him run over and over, when he makes the right decision, he gets the ball. Then up the criteria incrementally once he gets it?
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 03:15 PM
Originally Posted by Jet&Copper View Post
That really makes a whole lot of sense, thanks! The only prolonged position I have trained is a sit/down stay, so it's not came up yet

I'm just thinking now, with the open channel weave, I wonder if I should start adding a NRM right away if he takes the wrong entry, rather than let him run on and bring him back in with just no reward? I am now overthinking this? I just let him run over and over, when he makes the right decision, he gets the ball. Then up the criteria incrementally once he gets it?
Yes that might be a good idea, then he gets feedback at the exact point he has done the thing wrong and he will begin to pair it up with not getting the ball at the end

I am looking forward to seeing how you guys get on with the channel, I didnt have access to one when I was training so just lured

- have to say as well this new spacing of the weaves has REALLY speeded Ben up - got a fright last night how much I had to run to keep up with him!
PATRICIA NSON
New Member!
Female 

13-04-2012, 07:06 PM
can i have i chance to take part in here
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 07:09 PM
Originally Posted by PATRICIA NSON View Post
Feel free!

rune
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 07:56 PM
Originally Posted by PATRICIA NSON View Post
Just jump in
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 08:13 PM
As with all teaching and learning you not only have to take account of individual learning style, but also the thing you are trying to teach. Some things beg encouragement along the way, while others need a quieter approach so that it can be worked out. In other words, there's no hard and fast rule.

I always train with a 'soft' tone of voice. In an emergency situation, I use a 'strong' tone. If you use a strong/deep/loud tone throughout training, you lose the impact of it when you really do need to stop the dog from what it's doing or is about to do.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
I tend to say "wrong" to mine when training them something new and they aren't getting it right, and use "no" for occasions when they really are doing something I want them to stop doing immediately.
Yes me too.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >