View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 08:47 AM

Those of you who run training classes...

How did you start off ?

Am thinking in the beginning of next year I would like to start my puppy classes and maybe an older trick training class. Havent quite sorted the details yet but theres time for that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:11 AM
I started off with one-to-ones free of charge. Went on to charge once confident then started up classes.

Never had more than six in a class and loved every one of my classes.

It is important to mix and work with a number of different breeds before starting off so that you know how to handle tricky situations effectively if they arise.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
I started off with one-to-ones free of charge. Went on to charge once confident then started up classes.

Never had more than six in a class and loved every one of my classes.

It is important to mix and work with a number of different breeds before starting off so that you know how to handle tricky situations effectively if they arise.
Thankyou Chris,

I have just started to offer one to ones at a very cheap price (to cover my fuel more than anything) so that I can get more on the job experience. Ive been dog walking for 3 years now and have quite a bit of experience with different breeds/ages/genders and behavioural issues! Though as I wasnt being paid to fix them I only did work if it would make my life easier ie - no barking in the car!

Im also doing one to ones with the back up of another trainer who is actually going to watch me through my first few one to ones to make sure Im doing it right.

I was thinking 6 is a good number to have, if I find a good venue to use I am more than happy to do a couple a week if there is enough intrest.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-04-2012, 10:16 AM
A nice guide to how to progress training is the KC Good Citz Tests.

See what's involved in all four stages and it gives you a progression route even if you don't participate in the scheme.

Scheme of work and lesson plans can help you out so that you have a set plan to work to.

Be prepared to deviate from them though because rarely does a class go strictly to plan as owners ask various questions related to training that are easier to demonstrate than talk about
TangoCharlie
Dogsey Senior
Male 

13-04-2012, 10:08 PM
Maybe look around for an organisation who's guidelines you like and agree with. That can help promote your club and show your methods to potential customers. Kind fair and effective, first in the field etc.

It is also worth doing a C&G Prepairing to Teach in the Life Long Sector course (PTLLS). It is geared towards teaching adults anything. The course shows you how to plan lessons, plan a course, risk assessing, learning styles etc.
V valuable.

Dont be a trainer who just has watched The Dog Whisperer and has owned a dog and has been lucky!
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:26 PM
Shall follow this with interest...
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2012, 10:29 PM
One of the best ways to prepare is to go and WATCH lots of OTHER people give classes, you can get great ideas of what to do and what NOT to do for free.
Pawsonboard
Almost a Veteran
Female 

14-04-2012, 07:08 AM
Whoops! forgot I started this thread

Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
A nice guide to how to progress training is the KC Good Citz Tests.

See what's involved in all four stages and it gives you a progression route even if you don't participate in the scheme.

Scheme of work and lesson plans can help you out so that you have a set plan to work to.

Be prepared to deviate from them though because rarely does a class go strictly to plan as owners ask various questions related to training that are easier to demonstrate than talk about
Yeah that sounds like a good idea. I would like to maybe do 40 mins training and then at the end have 20 mins that people can either stay for and get some help with things or ask questions or leave. Does that sound like a good idea?

Originally Posted by TangoCharlie View Post
Maybe look around for an organisation who's guidelines you like and agree with. That can help promote your club and show your methods to potential customers. Kind fair and effective, first in the field etc.

It is also worth doing a C&G Prepairing to Teach in the Life Long Sector course (PTLLS). It is geared towards teaching adults anything. The course shows you how to plan lessons, plan a course, risk assessing, learning styles etc.
V valuable.

Dont be a trainer who just has watched The Dog Whisperer and has owned a dog and has been lucky!
Haha, trust me I wont be one of those! there is a huge section in the Kennel club Accredited Instructors Scheme that im doing on all that stuff and as I work at the riding for the disabled I do have experience with lesson planning, risk assesment and dealing with all sorts of people (parents are the most difficult!) though will have a look at the city and guilds too. thankyou

Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
One of the best ways to prepare is to go and WATCH lots of OTHER people give classes, you can get great ideas of what to do and what NOT to do for free.
Am actually off this morning to watch a puppy class and have a few lined up that I have been invited to observe/help with so that will be really good I think. Have enquired with other people and havent got much response sadly. Though if I need to watch someone to know how you dont train recall it will be our local 'dog whisperer' who I saw attempting to alpha roll a doberman when it didnt come back. The dobie still didnt come back - now why didnt that work?? haha