View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 02:31 PM
obviously I am not trying to play down the attack and say it is OK for dogs to attack other dogs - but just that sometimes we have to try and move on from things, thats done, we now know he dosent like that kind of thing and move forward
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 03:24 PM
Lots of good advice!!! Also try to remember to BREATH, (not only when you are out) practice this all the time, nice & slow, make sure your body is relaxed & the lead is loose.Hope this makes sense.

Good Luck & don't beat yourself up.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by shadow_the_staff View Post
Hey Labradork,

Well my dogs have different behaviours depending if they are walked alone, or walked together. Alone, shadow is very good, very obedient, wont bark at other dogs unless provoked (although she does bark at trees, big rocks, and jeeps.....am bit concerned about her eyesight tbh!!). Bandit on his own was agressive towards other dogs, he almost pulled me accross a main road once growling at a puppy!! He is the one I would say is least dog friendly. (he is also very anti-small furry animals, he once killed a neighbours rabbit, so am wondering if he thought the little puppy, was a little furry animal.)

When they are together they used to be a nightmare, they would attack each other if they saw another dog! However, now thinking back on it, since I have had the halti's they are much better behaved.

My walking routine is non-existant im ashamed to say. Given any opportunity I will try to avoid it, because it scares me so much. As odd as it sounds, Im happier walking them in the lighter months, than during the winter months. I find my eyesight isnt great at nightime (?!) so i get even more anxious as I feel I cant scout ahead for loose dogs as well.

They go out at most twice a week (I already know thats not enough). Once with my dog walker (who btw, walks them off lead, and although is careful when she meets other dogs, has not yet ever had an incident with my dogs and another; she's been walking them for 4 years now). And once on the wkend with me, hubby and little boy.
Do you drive? how about driving to quiet place at the crack of dawn to walk them where you won't see anyone? you could muzzle Bandit if it made you feel more comfortable. Avoiding the problem isn't going to change their behaviour, but some positive walks where you can feel comfortable that nothing 'bad' will happen will boost your confidence.

Also, what about finding an obedience class for reactive/aggressive dogs so you can work on management techniques?

Are your dogs insured? some insurance companies will pay for consultations with behaviourists.
shadow_the_staff
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:11 PM
wow....thanks everyone for all the advise. And for understanding.

There is so much here for me to consider, and I think for me, writing it all down and reading it, made me realise where my actual fears lie.

I think i have built this up in my head into such a big deal, and the longer its gone on the worse it has gotten. I need to face it, but sensibly, and making sure i dont do anything thats gona set me (and my doggies) back.

Im going to try to make sure they are getting more walks, but will continue for the time being taking them out separately. I do have a car, and i think it might be something for me to try, taking them somewhere quiet where I can reduce my stress levels when walking.

I dont know about anyone else, but I find I put a lot of pressure on myself to be a good dog owner, and when I dont live up to that I feel a lot of guilt. I suppose I have to remember that Im not perfect, and neither are my dogs......one step/paw at a time eh?

Again, thanks everyone for being so understanding.
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2