Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sassysarah
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Help my dog kills cats!

Hi im asking for some advice for my brother he has a 4 year old Siberian husky. He is well exersised and even goes to work with my brother but When he is out in the garden and a cat hops over the wall that's it the cat never leaves again he has know killed 8 cats in the last year next door are not too happy so the question is 1 can he deter the dog from killing or
2 how can he stop cats from jumping his fence.
He thought about a Muzzle but he shouldent have to in his own garden? Thankyou any advice would be appreciated x
jade the sbt
Dogsey Junior
Male 

10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
hmmmm. those are some stupid cats. keep the dog inside or muzzle him.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Huskies are known for their preydrive, as as you say, the dog should be free to run around without a muzzle in its own garden. Even with a muzzle, the damage it could inflict to cats could still be fatal.

I would suggest that your brother alters the fencing to make it more difficult for cats to get in - take a look at the cat-proof fencing systems designed to keep cats out, e.g. inclines on top of the fencing or roller-style toppers for fence. He may be able to do a DIY version a bit cheaper, or perhaps the neighbour(s) would be willing to chip in as it's to protect their cats.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 11:47 AM
I know it's horrible, but in the end, it's the husky's yard, and it's the cats that are trespassing. It's not like your brother is setting his dog on cats on purpose.
labradork
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:16 PM
I'm surprised it has taken 8 cats getting killed before he realized that he needs to do something about it.

Is there any reason why he cannot check the garden for cats before he lets the dog out? or supervise the dog while outside?

The more a dog practices a behaviour the better they get at it. I hope this dog doesn't get let off the lead in a public place.
BeagleBella
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Ooh dear :-S Poor kitty kats. I understand its his gardens, but I don't know if cats work and think that way...

Definitely look into a way so cats can't get into the garden so easily. And as a temporary caution for now, put him out on a lead / supervise when he is in the garden.

Bit silly really, cats usually stop on the fence if they see a dog...I think they have a death wish :-S
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:46 PM
He must have known that this was a potential issue when he chose to have a husky - not that it makes it any less unpleasant.

If I were him I would speak to all the neighbours and make them aware - perhaps put wobbly trellis on top of the fence to deter cats.

I don't think it would be fair to only allow the dog outside supervised - it's his garden.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:51 PM
I think in this instance, the best you can do, is cat proof your garden, make it as un inviting to cats as possible. Fishing line the tops, cut back any bushes etc (hiding places!) And then go and speak to your neighbours. I do not agree with only letting the dog out supervised (practical?? not!) nor do I agree that muzzling is the solution.
Northernsoulgirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 12:58 PM
It's not very pretty but what about the rolled barbed wire on top of the fence, I'm assuming it's a high fence anyway?? surely that would deter cats. I was quite nervous when we went back to our old house last year for a few weeks as our neighbour has 3 cats which she lives for. It was a small garden fortunately and I just checked before I let my two out. I figured once they were out the cats would have more sense than to trespass.....
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 01:27 PM
8 cats? Are you sure? What`s he doing - leaving spiked food down?
I`m sorry but - 8? In 40 years of dog owning my dogs have only harmed one and that was because it was in my shed (I didn`t realise and let them out). Any other time the cats have scarpered over the fence.
So... honestly? 8?
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 > Last »