Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
gerry taylor
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 09:28 AM

Pulling on Lead

Hi, we have a 5 year old mastiff and he is soft as pudding the only failure he has is he pulls on the lead especially if he sees another dog, my husband takes him for a wall as he is too strong for me, and we wonder if maybe a harness or an halti would help. Any info would be apprciated...thks...
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 09:36 AM
A headcollar is a help, especially if he can physically pull you over/towards a dog. Personally I prefer the Dogmatic brand to the Haltis, but different brands suit different dogs (and owners).
It isn't a substitute to training loose-lead walking though, so look up various methods to find which one works for you. I've used the 300 peck method with good success before - www.druidalegsd.karoo.net/300_peck.pdf
Also tried the 'stop and start' method - after a week, she was still pulling so I switched to changing directions rather than just standing still, every time she pulled in front I changed directions. You have to be consistant, do it every time even if your neighbours are watching you with a puzzled look on their face but it only took her a few days to get the hang of it and stop pulling. Different methods suit different dogs, but they all require persistance and consistancy, so make sure your husband is on-board and uses the same method. You'll struggle if you're doing one method when you walk him but hubby is letting him pull when he walks him!
gerry taylor
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 09:48 AM
Is it still possible to train them at 5 years, we adopted him when he was 2..
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 10:02 AM
Yes. It`s possible to retrain dogs of all ages.
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 10:04 AM
Definately You just have a few bad habits to work out, unlike the "blank slate" of a puppy - this is why consistancy is important, an adult dog will soon learn when (or with whom!) it can get away with bad behaviour. If you can't spend the time doing the loose-lead training then either postpone the walk until you can, or if you really need to walk him, use a different piece of walking equipment. Decide now what equipment you would like to use - I walk mine on a harness and headcollar (using a double-ended lead), for example. Then on those essential walks where you know he'll be pulling like at train, use a different bit of equipment - so I'd use just a regular lead on the collar. Alternatively, dogs are generally smart enough to distinguish between different styles of harnesses, so you might want to have a "training" harness and an "rushed walk, you'll-probably-pull" harness, so he knows when he needs to be behaving himself and when he can get away with a bit of pulling.
Bella2012
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-04-2012, 11:14 AM
I have used the halti on my newly aquired one year old retreiver- she is a strong girl and I couldn't keep going with stopping, starting as it was hurting my arm on normal lead. Tried her on Halti for just over a week and she hated it but it worked. I have now gone back to normal lead and she is not pulling as much and I am trying the stop, start again I was suprised that just within such a short space of time she is getting the hang of it - good luck with what you decide
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 11:21 AM
If you do go for a headcollar, do try to introduce it slowly so that the dog doesn't hate it. There are several video guides on Youtube showing how to introduce one, e.g.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fw3ovsOvTss

The face is a sensitive area so slow introductions are essential for most dogs to learn to tolerate a headcollar
gerry taylor
New Member!
Female 

10-04-2012, 04:35 PM
the problem we have is when he sees another dog, not sure whether he wants to play with them or not he trys to pull to get to them and there is not stopping him, when he is on his own he is fine, or if we go into the woods with no-one about and off leash he just trots by the side of us..
DoKhyi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-04-2012, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by gerry taylor View Post
the problem we have is when he sees another dog, not sure whether he wants to play with them or not he trys to pull to get to them and there is not stopping him, when he is on his own he is fine, or if we go into the woods with no-one about and off leash he just trots by the side of us..
I'd personally look up your local dog training classes and take him along. That way you will be guaranteed to have dogs around that can act as your 'stooges' while he learns not to react to every dog he sees by wanting to go over to them and dragging you with him. Get both you and your hubby to handle him at class so he learns to listen to both of you and performs consistently for you both.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >