Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-04-2012, 04:33 PM

Training treats for a delicate tum

My lab seems to get the squits easily.

Rawhide chews cause her an upset tum and when I bought some training treats (coachies IIRC) she had dreadfully upset stomach the following day.

I have been told by the local pet shop that its seems common for labs to have trouble with rawhide etc so what are good training treats, currently I'm using her food, but I would appreciate any recommendations.
Deb/Pugglepup
Almost a Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 04:37 PM
I use the Harrington's Training Treats. They sell them at Tesco and do sensitive treats as well in the same range.

My two love them
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
Difficult to advise as we do not know what your dog is sensitive to.

I make my own from dried cooked heart.

What are you feeding her at the moment?

You can feed ONLY when you train so the food has value if it suits you and the dog.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I use pretty much anything and everything with Spencer. His food, shop bought dog treats, chicken, cheese, liverwurst, roast beef, apple, carrot, banana, peas. Pretty much anything I have in really. At home I use the more boring things like veggies, his food and shop bought treats and save the high value things like chicken for when we're out.

Do you know whether she's had a fairly bland diet before you got her? If she's only really had one type of food and few treats it may take a while for her to get used to new foods. Or if you're really unlucky she may be like my rottie mix was and anything new causes horrendous dire rear for days no matter how slowly you introduce it
zoeyvonne
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 04:55 PM
I use chicken breast cooked and chopped up or wainwrights from pets at home Samsons only 5months so he has turkey and rice puppy ones
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-04-2012, 06:32 PM
I also use heart, also liver or little bits of chicken. I cut them into little pieces, dry them the oven on a low temperature, then bag them up and freeze them until I need them.
Moon's Mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 06:53 PM
I was also going to suggest baking dry treats out of meats she is on with - eg chicken, beef, heart, liver, white fish.
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-04-2012, 06:55 PM
My dogs get upset tummies after rawhide too. They are fine with most treats though, I like the "Wagg" ones which come in various different sorts and are sugar-free and reasonably priced. Pedigree ones I wouldn't touch with a barge-pole as sugar in and other nasties.
Jeltz
Dogsey Junior
Male 

07-04-2012, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the replies, I like the idea of dried meats that would make them different.

I don't know what her food was before we got her other than it was a dry food from a farm shop. She's on Tesco complete now and has settled into it now.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2012, 08:49 AM
Originally Posted by Jeltz View Post
My lab seems to get the squits easily.

Rawhide chews cause her an upset tum and when I bought some training treats (coachies IIRC) she had dreadfully upset stomach the following day.

I have been told by the local pet shop that its seems common for labs to have trouble with rawhide etc so what are good training treats, currently I'm using her food, but I would appreciate any recommendations.
It's a good idea to have a hierarchy of training treats if you can find enough of those suitable for your dog's stomach

My dog is on a special diet for her stomach, and I've found I can use chicken, quorn, tripe sticks, a small amount of tuna (dried/baked), and her kibble is made more exciting by throwing it

However all dogs are different, and you may find your dog is ok with more than you think. You may find she even likes treats like carrot and apple

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >