View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:27 PM

Which dog 'started' it? Was this just rough play?

Just wondering if any of you can offer some feedback? Thanks in advance for any answers

Today at the park I was as usual walking Dexter on a loose lead and normal collar. We enjoyed a few, much improved greetings with some gorgeous other dogs and Dexter was much calmer than previously.

A bit later we were standing by the cafe when a man walked past with a huge Rhodesian Ridgeback, off leash. Instead of following his owner, the RR came walking over to where I was standing with Dex (still on loose leash).

As I didn't know the RR, I stood partly between the two dogs. The RR approached very slowly, in a straight line, eyes locked on Dexter. When he reached us everything was fine for a few seconds.

Then Dexter - who always wants to play - did his 'mock bow' for want of a better description. (down on front paws, longing to run and chase etc).

The RR then started barking and next thing I know he's lunged at Dexter and is nipping his rear end - I think I managed to get Dex away just as the other dog's teeth reached him.

I wedged myself between them. The RR didn't draw blood but then he just stood there, staring at me. His owner had come back, perhaps hearing the barking. Then they went.

Two minutes later his owner came walking back with this dog and started chatting to me. He asked if I let my dog off leash at any time - as his dog "loves to play and is never aggressive and they can play together".......

Can you advise - was this just rough play? To me it looked like a bit of aggression on the part of the RR.

Did my dog prompt it by doing his 'mock bow' thing??

Am I wrong for resolving not to let my dog off leash when this RR is close by?
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:33 PM
I think it is irrelevent what I would do is to make sure that not only did I put myself inbetween my dog and the intruder and also not allow a staring contest to begin.

I would also walk away from any dog that was approaching mine, whilst keeping an eye on it.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:35 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
I think it is irrelevent what I would do is to make sure that not only did I put myself inbetween my dog and the intruder and also not allow a staring contest to begin.

I would also walk away from any dog that was approaching mine, whilst keeping an eye on it.

You're right.

I guess I was just keen to know if my dog 'started' it because if it happened once it could happen again and I want to try and prevent it.
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Judging by your descriptions and none of us being there to see it, it sounds like the RR doesn't know how to properly greet another dog (approaching slowly and stiffly, eyes locked on the other dog) and doesn't understand common play signals (play bow). I'm going to guess that he didn't even remotely understand Dexter's signals to play, got frightened and over-aroused, and went after him.

It's definitely not a dog I would feel comfortable letting my dog play with.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by Crysania View Post
Judging by your descriptions and none of us being there to see it, it sounds like the RR doesn't know how to properly greet another dog (approaching slowly and stiffly, eyes locked on the other dog) and doesn't understand common play signals (play bow). I'm going to guess that he didn't even remotely understand Dexter's signals to play, got frightened and over-aroused, and went after him.

....some breeds do this and there is no threat meant in it at all... Tupac does this then ends up hitting the deck... also some dogs do this when they are unsure and are waiting to see what the other dog is going to do to 'break the ice'
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:04 PM

Thank you

I certainly don't intend to let Dex play with him - but it's really good to know I'm not just over-reacting and that others agree!
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:06 PM
Originally Posted by Tupacs2legs View Post
....some breeds do this and there is no threat meant in it at all... Tupac does this then ends up hitting the deck... also some dogs do this when they are unsure and are waiting to see what the other dog is going to do to 'break the ice'
I didn't mean to imply there was a threat, but it CAN be perceived as a threat by other dogs (though it doesn't sound like Dexter saw it as such). Dogs who are in tune to social cues see a dog staring at them, moving slowly and stiffly as a potential threat. A dog who moves more loosely, doesn't make eye contact and comes at the dog at an angle is usually perceived much better.

The dog might very well have been unsure (and his reaction to Dexter's play bow indicates that was likely) but I still think his approach shows a lack of social skills.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:14 PM
Ridgie started it by coming over in the first place. If I had fallen asleep and my dog wandered over to see a dog on a lead, if he got a play bow that would be all the invitation he'd need to go into "Yeeha! let's go bounce yipee" mode - the lead wouldn't register.

Edit: though he'd come back when I woke up and called him.
TabithaJ
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:26 PM
I didn't mean to imply there was a threat, but it CAN be perceived as a threat by other dogs (though it doesn't sound like Dexter saw it as such). Dogs who are in tune to social cues see a dog staring at them, moving slowly and stiffly as a potential threat. A dog who moves more loosely, doesn't make eye contact and comes at the dog at an angle is usually perceived much better.
Yes this is a good point. Dexter doesn't read signals well - if a dog approaches he's ready to play, no matter how the dog might be moving etc.

I guess another dog might have decided not to dive into a 'bow' and things might have ended up more calmly...
Crysania
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 03:29 PM
Originally Posted by TabithaJ View Post
Yes this is a good point. Dexter doesn't read signals well - if a dog approaches he's ready to play, no matter how the dog might be moving etc.
I can sympathize with that. Dahlia thinks every single dog is going to be her friend, even if the other dog is snarling at the end of the leash and looks like it wants to eat her.

Unfortunately she can sometimes greet like the RR did. We've been working on it and she's getting better, but sometimes when she sees dogs, she freezes and goes into a stalking posture. Which freaks some dogs out.

When we first got her she did NOT understand canine body signals. She was friendly, loved other dogs, but things like play bows were not understood (she just stared at the dog looking somewhat bewildered). She's starting to get it now and has been playing a LOT more than she used to.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >