Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Why am I the one who feels guilty?

If anything like what happened today happens?

I was walking the dogs, and had them under control when I saw two people with a beagle and a cocker spaniel enter the field, I called mine back and went to put them on lead, but saw the others werent so though oh well but kept mine near me, when the two little dogs clocked us and ran over barking like anything, mine stayed with me until the dogs got within about ten foot of us (without any calls from the other owners either) and then decided to play, now my dogs are fast and are larger then these dogs, and I know that without meaning too my dogs can scare another dog by just being them, as having bigger dogs running around at such speeds can unnerve a dog that isn't 100% confident, anyway mine tried to play with the other dogs, the spaniel was fine, but the beagle fled with its tail between its legs, which at this point I knew that I should of had my dogs on lead, as the dogs thought that it was then a chasing game or summat and kept running and at this point became deaf, thankfully the dog stopped running and they all greeted with wagging tails, at which point I still hadn't heard a peep from the other two people, and as I was wanting to leave the fields called my two back and also got the beagle which after a few minutes left us again, but why on earth do I feel so guilty about a dog that looks so nervous but the owners just don't seem to care?
Kerryowner
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 10:51 AM
Oh dear-sounds like you are a very sensitive person like me!

I shouldn't worry-I am sure that like me most people seeing your type of dogs would realise that they are going to take off running and if their dog has a problem with that then they could have called and leashed him.

I see it from the opposite point of view as Parker is fine with greyhounds, running dogs etc but when they start running he will take off after them and have a bit of a wuff but he is not nasty and definitely not fast enough to catch up with them! But I do wonder if the owners realise that if you have a Kerry Blue running after your dogs? I do say he is friendly and just playing if they are within earshot.
Sosha
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:26 AM
I wouldn't feel guilty - sounds like the Beagle ended up having fun - did after all come over (rolls eyes) in the first place - then came back over again after its initial "Yikes" moment. Could take a bow for managing to "Recall" a beagle though...!
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-01-2011, 11:34 AM
The thing is this sort of incident isn't that rare, it happens a few times, sometimes the other owner looks worried, but I do worry, because its the sort of thing were someone could get hurt, Diesel himself when he was younger ran into a brick wall in the back garden and hurt his leg after doing the same thing with Honey , and I worry that as the other dog is scared aggression could come out from it to try and save itself, which I'm not sure how that would end up, and I'd hate for something to happen round here with someone else's dog, espcially as there are barbed wire fences and at some points there is a drop to a river, which a blind run like I have witnessed before could lead the dogs too, and after spending so long with Honey getting her over problems I don't want to have mine knock another dogs confidence because of something like this, but its harder when the other owners don't seem to bother with their dogs.