Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
chaz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 09:36 AM

I feel ill.

I met someone last night, never met her before, but was talking to her, she was another dog walker, we talked for a while, about the Hereford's in the meadows, and she also warned me about a lady who takes on rescue cases, but is a bit of a hoarder, can't afford medical care, and her dogs have kennel cough, and they are spreading it around the meadows where we walk.

Anyway, we were talking about other things, she said that she was planning on breeding her little cross breed dog, I then gave sublety things that can go wrong, and the risks (some people think that I shouldn't do this, but I feel as a animal lover, I should, and one of the reasons I gave was the amount of dogs in rescues needing homes) after a while she talks about how she use to be a rabbit breeder (we were walking together at this point), I have rabbits so we talked about this, she then said that she use to have a rabbit who had dental problems, in the end she got fed up with it and drowned him, which made me so sad, poor rabbit, if it was one of mine I would make sure that they got all the help they need, and if it come to where it was unfair on them I would pts at the vets, not drown because I got fed up of him. She then said that she has a small young cat, who she thinks is pregnant, again, I said well why don't you go to the vets, and see if you can get her spayed if you think that, apparently the cat had kittens as a kitten, and day by day one by one died, until there was one left, she said that she might, but if they are born she'll more then likely drown them, as like I said there is too many animals in rescues needing homes.

Now some may say I'm too sensitive, but hearing someone so flippent about lives made me start to feel sick, how can someone be like that, and to use me saying about rescue animals when she wanted to breed her dog as a 'reason' to drown kittens because she hasn't or doesn't want to spay her cat yet is to me a horrible thing to do, and I was sat with Drew (my bun) yesterday, and wondering how on earth someone could drown a rabbit either. I will say that during the war my Grampy was asked by a neighbour to drown her dog, the dog was ill, and old, and the woman could not afford medical care for her dog, my Grampy has been affected by this since (he did do it), and it still makes him sad about it, but that, I can get my head around, as the dog was suffering, and it wasn't easy for anyone at that time, but to plan on drowning animals, and say things like this like it was nothing, I just can't understand at all.
Manyana13
Almost a Veteran
Female 

10-09-2010, 10:10 AM
I just cannot understand people like that either. They make me sick. No, I don't think you are being too sensitive. It is an awful thing to do, even more awful to go talking about it as if it's nothing. I don't know how these people sleep at night. My OH knocked over a cat that jumped out of a hedge on a country road when he was 17, now 13 years later it still haunts him.