Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-01-2006, 04:18 PM

Bear was scratched!!

A cat scratched my Bear Bear. He cut her ear, and she bled a little bit. Bear just screeched so loadly, so I rushed to her and cuddled her for ages. She's sleeping now, but I'm sooooooo upset.

Never again will I let any cat go near my baby. She's so sweet and friendly, wouldn't hurt a fly, I'm almost in tears over this, I'm so worried he's scared her for life. This is a fear period for her, and he attacked her, I'm just glad he didn't get her eyes.

Who knows what damage that stupid cat has caused.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2006, 04:27 PM
Poor Bear Mike I would bathe the cut in saline, cats claws can carry infection..that is boiled cooled water with added salt about a tablespoon to a pint in this instance...

Hope it has not scared Bear too much, at lease she may have learnt to steer clear of cats..
I lubz Mini Schnauzers
Dogsey Junior
Male 

15-01-2006, 04:30 PM
I'm taking her the vets tomorrow morning. I think she actually just came out of her fear period, as it ends by the 9th week. I'm just glad she's ok. I'm just so upset and worried.

Can you explain how I make that saline stuff in more detail to me in PM?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by I lubz Mini Schnauzers
I'm taking her the vets tomorrow morning. I think she actually just came out of her fear period, as it ends by the 9th week. I'm just glad she's ok. I'm just so upset and worried.

Can you explain how I make that saline stuff in more detail to me in PM?
Mike the first fear imprint stage extends past nine weeks but don't worry about it too much Bear has had a valuable lesson in being wary of cats..

To make saline boil a pint of water, add some salt about a tablespoon to a pint in this case (the concentration can vary according to the circumstances).
Now let the solution cool so that it does not burn, take some cotton wool and bath the ear gently . I am sure Bear will be fine
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 04:47 PM
Awh poor Bear.

It's all part of the puppy learning curve, i'm interested why can you never let your puppy near another cat ?

What Bear will have learnt is a healthy respect for the feline species, if the cat had been deadly serious it would have gone for her eyes

Saline solution pint-500 mililitres of cooled boiled water with a teaspoon of salt dissloved in it

As to the fear period More from your books I suspect & some dogs like my JD have never had a fear period ! He obviously hadn't read your book
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 04:49 PM
I have quite a few cats and when Kira was a lil pup new here she was scratched a few times by the cats
she learnt to respect the cats and gets on great with them now ,she even lets one of the kittens we got last year suckle her neck
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Don't worry to much Mike

As the ohers have said, this will teach her to be wary of cats which is a good thing as a lot of cats don't like dogs!

Archie got scratched by a cat when we was the same age Bear is now, and he still tries to play with them (more carefully now though!)
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

15-01-2006, 04:56 PM
my dogs are always getting scratches on their noses from my cats - they have to live with 4 cats and have never learned that cats don't like to be rounded up and stared at
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-01-2006, 04:58 PM
aww poor bear it must of been a real fright for you both,i have cats and mine get on great with the boys but when they want there own space they will let the boys know i wouldnt stop bear getting used to cats
Jane L
Dogsey Junior
Female 

15-01-2006, 05:01 PM
Poor Bear, she must have had such a shock. Still hopefully no long term harm done.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >