Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2011, 12:37 PM

What Do You Know About Pork For Dogs?

I feed a raw food diet but never feed pork meat. I don't know why because it's a cheaper meat than beef and lamb. Is there a problem with dogs and pork as there never seems to be pork in pet food. I think this influences me so I never get pork meat although I do give uncooked pork back fat along with uncooked chicken fat as I believe this is an exellent fat for dogs far better than saturated beef or lamb fat as it contains essential fatty acids. I have a boxer and I feel sure that in Germany before they were brought to this country they fed boxers pork meat. Is it because pork used to be considered unhygienic before standards were raised or some other reason?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 12:49 PM
Originally Posted by rueben View Post
I feed a raw food diet but never feed pork meat. I don't know why because it's a cheaper meat than beef and lamb. Is there a problem with dogs and pork as there never seems to be pork in pet food. I think this influences me so I never get pork meat although I do give uncooked pork back fat along with uncooked chicken fat as I believe this is an exellent fat for dogs far better than saturated beef or lamb fat as it contains essential fatty acids. I have a boxer and I feel sure that in Germany before they were brought to this country they fed boxers pork meat. Is it because pork used to be considered unhygienic before standards were raised or some other reason?
I personally don't feed raw pork, and certainly never raw offal, because of the risk of tape worm. I don't actually know how much of a risk there is, but I avoid pork just in case.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 12:50 PM
There are lots of old wives tales about pork. Some people say it is "too rich" (Whatever that means) for dogs, others are concerned about parasites.

Basically there is no reason NOT to feed pork to dogs and I regularly feed it including liver, trotters etc to mine, from domestic farm animals.

It is even SAFER for everyone to eat now as the restrictions on what pigs can be fed now are much higher than they used to be (when pigs were traditionally fed whatever any other animal did not eat).

The risk of parasites, including tapeworms, roundworms, etc exist in ALL meats.
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:30 PM
I feed it regularly in the form of pork spare ribs which I get cheaply from my butcher. My dogs get two each every day. I also have fed pork liver and pork hearts. I haven't seen anything untoward at all and it seems to suit them very well.

I agree that it is now a much safer meat than it used to be.
Petticoat
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:33 PM
Pigs used to carry worms, from what I read in an old book I read, but that was many years ago, think as long as you freeze for at least 48hrs you should be fine.
I used to feed pork shoulder and pork ribs, they loved the latter!!
rueben
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
There are lots of old wives tales about pork. Some people say it is "too rich" (Whatever that means) for dogs, others are concerned about parasites.

Basically there is no reason NOT to feed pork to dogs and I regularly feed it including liver, trotters etc to mine, from domestic farm animals.

It is even SAFER for everyone to eat now as the restrictions on what pigs can be fed now are much higher than they used to be (when pigs were traditionally fed whatever any other animal did not eat).

The risk of parasites, including tapeworms, roundworms, etc exist in ALL meats.
I do tend to go along with this opinion as the hygiene and quality standard has been raised to produce much safer meat and I may start to introduce some pork. I still find it strange that manufacturers of dog food seem to use other popular meats but not pork. Especially as the cost would be cheaper than other meats!!
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:51 PM
I do feed Pork, only problem I have is Rupert's backside afterwards (think rotten eggs, and you are almost there!)
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:53 PM
Pork used to contain trichinella spirosis but I believe British pigs are tested for it now. Freezing will kill the parasite anyway so I just freeze anything with pork for a few days (well, everything tends to get chucked in the freezer for at least a few days regardless)
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:55 PM
I think you will find that the majority of pork cheap cuts go into the wonderful world of cheap sausages, pork pies etc so it would actually be too expensive for dog food manufacturers!

The above outlets are not available for MRM from lamb etc
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-04-2011, 01:57 PM
for some reason im still more worried bout chicken bones than pork! (i know,its the years of being a v.n ingrained!! im working on it! lol)
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >