28-10-2006, 06:04 PM
Just incase anyone is interested

http://www.blueweimaraner.com./tell.html
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 06:56 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
Sadly there will always be people trying to make a fast buck on colours they see as "rare" its a disgrace IMO, how many people charge more for a white GSD, blue Staff or choc Lab? How on earth do they justify it? MONEY, thats all, these Wei's are nothing different, bred for colour alone and greed!
Dawn.

Dawn - hold on to your chair - I totally agree with you

I am worried by the increasing trend of breeders promoting designer dogs, [ aka crossbreeds / mongrels ], and `designer` colours as something to be sought after as status symbols.

My old girl was a scruffy little crossbreed. The cross she was born from so many years ago and was given away to her original home because of, [ `free to good home`, we all know that one from accidental matings ], is sold for up to grand a piece today as a Labradoodle...

The designer colour thing is done in America to the Rough and Smooth Collies which have been bred to create predominant whites, and sadly not suprisingly seems to have increased deafness in those breeds over there because of those not being careful with the genetics of what they are mating to get the whites
In UK, white predominant Roughs and Smooths are not recognised in breed standard.
In the US they became included in breed standard.

Two of my deaf white collies are the result of their breeders deliberately breeding for Merle colour using merle to merle parents hoping it increased the chances of merle pups to sell for higher money :smt075

The price on the Blue Weims is the sort of thing which would attract status buyers, as opposed to a realistic price for ` mismarked pet quality` dogs bought by genuine dog lovers who just love their prefered breeds and are not bothered about Showing.
That sounds a bit snobby, I don`t mean it to be, [ I don`t Show except Companion shows for fun ], I just mean the price tag, and the breeders attitude / sales pitch, is trying to make out the dogs are something extra-special in the breed when they are not even breed standard but the wrong sort are likely to jump on the bandwagon to perpetuate the designer dog / status thing
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 07:07 PM
Originally Posted by Patch View Post
Dawn - hold on to your chair - I totally agree with you

I am worried by the increasing trend of breeders promoting designer dogs, [ aka crossbreeds / mongrels ], and `designer` colours as something to be sought after as status symbols.

My old girl was a scruffy little crossbreed. The cross she was born from so many years ago and was given away to her original home because of, [ `free to good home`, we all know that one from accidental matings ], is sold for up to grand a piece today as a Labradoodle...

The designer colour thing is done in America to the Rough and Smooth Collies which have been bred to create predominant whites, and sadly not suprisingly seems to have increased deafness in those breeds over there because of those not being careful with the genetics of what they are mating to get the whites
In UK, white predominant Roughs and Smooths are not recognised in breed standard.
In the US they became included in breed standard.

Two of my deaf white collies are the result of their breeders deliberately breeding for Merle colour using merle to merle parents hoping it increased the chances of merle pups to sell for higher money :smt075

The price on the Blue Weims is the sort of thing which would attract status buyers, as opposed to a realistic price for ` mismarked pet quality` dogs bought by genuine dog lovers who just love their prefered breeds and are not bothered about Showing.
That sounds a bit snobby, I don`t mean it to be, [ I don`t Show except Companion shows for fun ], I just mean the price tag, and the breeders attitude / sales pitch, is trying to make out the dogs are something extra-special in the breed when they are not even breed standard but the wrong sort are likely to jump on the bandwagon to perpetuate the designer dog / status thing
:smt044 :smt044 Miracles do happen eh Patch! I quite agree with your post too!
Dawn.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 07:12 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn View Post
:smt044 :smt044 Miracles do happen eh Patch! I quite agree with your post too!
Dawn.
Any first aiders in the house - two lots of smelling salts for Dawn and I are needed please :smt005
wildmoor
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 07:17 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Maybe they will be recognised Jessica, but the only reason I see for breeding is to better the breed. So both parents are to be sound dogs of as close as possible to the breed standard.

Blue isn't even in our breed standard...
I agree with this, its like the white GSD, apart from the outer colouring it doesnt have the grey undercoat that others have the only exception in my breed to a grey undercoat is a black one in an all black GSD. Also as orignaly white ones were pts so all the whites in this country are extremely close related to get an all white litter white must be bred to white. Why breed if it is not to improve the breed, I can only summise they do it for money.
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 07:37 PM
Originally Posted by wildmoor View Post
I agree with this, its like the white GSD, apart from the outer colouring it doesnt have the grey undercoat that others have the only exception in my breed to a grey undercoat is a black one in an all black GSD. Also as orignaly white ones were pts so all the whites in this country are extremely close related to get an all white litter white must be bred to white. Why breed if it is not to improve the breed, I can only summise they do it for money.
Exactly, no other reason unless creating a whole new breed, and even that I don't really condone. I personally feel we have enough breeds, but then I am settled with my chosen breed, so I would say that!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 07:37 PM
*Smelling salts out for Dawn and Patch*

pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:02 PM
Originally Posted by random View Post
Just incase anyone is interested

http://www.blueweimaraner.com./tell.html
That's a really good website with some great information.

According to them, the occurrence of blue was down to a chance mutation and not a cross to a Dobermann. Sometimes that does just happen. Still doesn't make the colour correct though
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 01:11 AM
precisely!
I have a purple leg due to a gene mutation (no, really I do) but it doesn't make it right! And if it were hereditary (which it's not) I wouldn't go looking for someone with the same gene mutation so we could have lots of purple legged babies!

edit, sorry if this makes no sense and holds no relevance whatsoever, it's very late, I'm not really thinking before typing and I always type silly things when I'm tired then look over them when I've woken up only to find they really weren't funny...
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-10-2006, 07:58 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
precisely!
I have a purple leg due to a gene mutation (no, really I do) but it doesn't make it right! And if it were hereditary (which it's not) I wouldn't go looking for someone with the same gene mutation so we could have lots of purple legged babies!

edit, sorry if this makes no sense and holds no relevance whatsoever, it's very late, I'm not really thinking before typing and I always type silly things when I'm tired then look over them when I've woken up only to find they really weren't funny...
No that makes perfect sense Lottie

What they are doing is capitalising on a mutation simply because it makes the dog look different from the rest of the breed. Normally, a dog with such a fault would be discarded from the gene pool.
Page 5 of 6 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 >