Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 06:54 AM
Yes, loladobie - a very good reason!

Blue eyes in dalmatians are a fault because they used to think it was linked with the deafness gene - not sure if they've been corrected now, and with dalmatians being white dogs anyway, deafness has to be carefully worked with.

I'm afraid I have a real problem with people breeding dogs that don't fit with the breed standard, as what is their purpose for breeding? I would only breed to get as close to the breed standard as possible and can't understand why someone would want to try bringing in an unrecognised colour.

I have a feeling that a lot of the people who would pay this for a 'new and rare colour' wouldn't be experienced weimy owners and knowing that weimies have a similar temperament to dalmatians it begs the question as to where they'll end up.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by Ripsnorterthe2nd View Post
See Pod and Gracelunds posts for the best answer to this question!
thanks
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 07:32 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
Yes, loladobie - a very good reason!

Blue eyes in dalmatians are a fault because they used to think it was linked with the deafness gene - not sure if they've been corrected now, and with dalmatians being white dogs anyway, deafness has to be carefully worked with.
It does seem that the more data that are gathered on this, the more the link with blue eye and deafness is confirmed. Blue eye is acceptable in the USA standard, consequently the rate of deafness in their country is higher.
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 08:32 AM
There is most certainly a strong link between blue eyes in Dalmatians and deafness (and probably the other 40-odd breeds affected by deafness) and yes, some of the "non-recognised" colours in the breed are due to breeding extremely poor quality stock, often interbred, from puppy farms. Patches are also seen as a fault and when I bred, if I had any, they went for half price and were endorsed, as all my litters were. A well known breeder told me that she doesn't even register the patched ones. Developing a new colour can (but not always) involve messing with genetics and IMO there are usually consequences of doing this. If it is a good idea, why doesn't it appear in nature?
I don't know why some people are so keen to look at what is going on in other Countries and copy it, especially the US. It doesn't make it right, or desirable, and much as I dislike a lot of what the UK Kennel Club is and does, I am in full support of the KC not letting this "development" get out of hand; however, you may find that "Apricot" Dalmatians (washed out livers) will be registered as liver as that is "recognised" and is the only way they can be registered with the KC, who do not ask for any proof. As far as price goes, that will be whatever someone is prepared to pay for it. I'll never forget meeting a couple with a badly patched Dalmatian, they had paid over the odds for her as "pick of litter".
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 09:07 AM
thanks for the info on blue eyes.

Can I ask then, what is it that makes it ok for white huskies to have blue eyes but not dalmatians?

That's what puzzled me! I'd just like to know, sorry it's a bit off topic!
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 09:28 AM
Sadly there will always be people trying to make a fast buck on colours they see as "rare" its a disgrace IMO, how many people charge more for a white GSD, blue Staff or choc Lab? How on earth do they justify it? MONEY, thats all, these Wei's are nothing different, bred for colour alone and greed!
Dawn.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally Posted by Lottie View Post
thanks for the info on blue eyes.

Can I ask then, what is it that makes it ok for white huskies to have blue eyes but not dalmatians?

That's what puzzled me! I'd just like to know, sorry it's a bit off topic!
Yes, good question

All genetic differences between dogs and wolves are unatural, caused by mutations and only occur because humans have selectively bred for them, either deliberately or not. This includes the colour variations - blue, lilac, brown, white, spots etc etc and also any eye colour other than the usual light brown of the wolf.

Some of these mutations are detrimental to the dog and I think because standards were written before inheritance was properly understood, they are still bred for because of tradition. The allowance of blue eye in Siberians but not Dalmatians, has good foundation though.

There are different types of inherited blue eye in dogs and the one that the Dalmatian has is a direct consequence of the white coat colour. Lack of pigment causes the white coat but the detrimental effects are blue eye and deafness, hence the link between these.

The normal type of blue eye found in the Siberian Husky is inherited in a different way and isn't associated with defective hearing.

But, it's not that simple.... there are two types of white in Siberians. The usual solid white (as in Luz's avatar) is a type of white that has pigment present, so no associated blue eye or deafness here. The other type of white is extreme white as in the Dalmatian, Bulldog, JRT etc, so there could possibly be colour related deafness and the second type of blue eye in the breed too.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:03 AM
I paid more than that for my Mal who has an incorrect coat.. which is a fault as the KC standard goes... BUT he is still registered..

I didn't want to show but was prepared to pay those prices.. SO I suppose if people want a BLUE dog they will pay the price as long as they don't want to show it
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:23 AM
Thanks for the info pod! It had been bugging me for a while.

I find it all quite fascinating but am afraid, I'm just not clever enough to fully understand genetics! What I do understand I find incredibly interesting though!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-10-2006, 10:53 AM
Upon asking her again she has informed me that she is not actually the first breeder of the Blue in this country, it seems she is aware of another lady who has bred them over here.

I dare not ask her to join, I don't think she is best pleased with me as it is!
Page 4 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 >