View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Hi Jackie, we have decided to do as little as possible but with a new kitchen.

We were going to gut the rest of the house like we have the first half, and although doing that would add more value to the house. that market is slow - so while we could get more (maybe £20 to 30K more) the house could potentially be on the market much longer - maybe even 2 years (that's how long the next doors house was on the market for and in that price range).

So we are going to do a lot less, and price the house less as a 'house with potential' so ideal for the top end of first time buyers who can move straight in, then remodel things and make a profit - they could turn it into a 5 or 6 bed house if they wanted to

That's the plan anyway - it means £20K less but possibly a quicker sale, and that's more important to us.

Have you tried just basic decoration? Sometimes that can make a world of difference - we're going to wallpaper the rooms that are not gutted, just so they look a bit better.
IanIOW
Dogsey Senior
Male 

21-02-2013, 01:49 PM
Sometimes that can make a world of difference - we're going to wallpaper the rooms that are not gutted, just so they look a bit better.

I would say a bad move Azz to wallpaper as most of the time it gets taken down as it might not be to buyers taste etc.
Plastered walls and neutral paint job everytime then its easier enough for new buyer to re-paint if they want rather than strip off wallpaper.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by IanIOW View Post
Sometimes that can make a world of difference - we're going to wallpaper the rooms that are not gutted, just so they look a bit better.

I would say a bad move Azz to wallpaper as most of the time it gets taken down as it might not be to buyers taste etc.
Plastered walls and neutral paint job everytime then its easier enough for new buyer to re-paint if they want rather than strip off wallpaper.
I agree plastered walls would be better, but plastering would just cost too much and we just want to keep costs down. Half the house is plastered tho, and these other rooms are in the basement so hopefully it won't notice as much
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2013, 03:09 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
Trying to work out whether to get a remorgage although I haven't actually got a mortgage at the moment or use savings.
If you have sufficient savings why not give yourself a mortgage.

First work out how much your savings would earn over say 5 years.

Then add that to the amount you need to upgrade your house

Then add a 'profit' per cent, let's say 10%

Then divide that by 60 (Monthly for 5 years)

Then subtract that from your monthly earnings and if that leaves enough for all the bills, holidays, etc. etc. then go ahead and give yourself a mortgage, after 5 years you'll not only have a nicer house but a much bigger savings account balance, a win win situation
Jackalyn
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-02-2013, 07:23 PM
Lasos, and azz, thanks for your help. Sorry reread that about six times trying to get my head round it, not feeling too bright today. I think you are saying what I had thought of doing actually use my savings for the work and restart saving again and then in five years or so have my savings back. It's just the in-between time I am a bit worried about, what if some emergency comes up in the next year or so and I don't have much savings.

Spoke to the estate agency today about a remorgage , perhaps should have gone to a bank, just for arranging the mortgage , solicitors fees, bank arrangements fees etc it would come to about £700.

the only problem with wallpapering over the Walls, when the buyers have surveys done they can tell the condition of the Walls anyway so can't really be covered up.

sorry azz I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I think I will sleep on it and hope I can decide what to do.
Losos
Fondly Remembered
Male 

21-02-2013, 08:28 PM
Originally Posted by kodimeg View Post
I think you are saying what I had thought of doing actually use my savings for the work and restart saving again and then in five years or so have my savings back. It's just the in-between time I am a bit worried about, what if some emergency comes up in the next year or so and I don't have much savings.
Yep, that's what I was saying I was just trying to show it as a mortgage company would look at it.

Emergancies, yes of course you need some 'back up' money but life is always a bit of a gamble, just driving down your road could be an emergancy if you see what I mean, presumeably you have insurance for the big stuff and I hope that you are reasonably healthy (Apologies if you're not) and after year one you will have some savings and more after year two etc. etc.

Clearly it is not for me to advise you and please don't take this as 'advice' (I could be arrested for that ) but someting to think about.

Sorry Azz this is 'off topic' I'm outa here now
Azz
Administrator
Male 

21-02-2013, 08:39 PM
Hijack away - I don't mind, it's interesting hearing what others are going through too
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2013, 07:58 AM
Do you have to put new units in the kitchen, could you replace the doors and worktop? or maybe paint the doors?
Azz
Administrator
Male 

23-02-2013, 02:01 PM
Originally Posted by Kazz View Post
Do you have to put new units in the kitchen, could you replace the doors and worktop? or maybe paint the doors?
I'm not sure if we could get away with that... I will ask the builder when he comes around next week - thanks for the tip Kazz!
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-02-2013, 02:15 PM
Any news? and if you are selling I would replace worktops and doors only or whatever is neccesary to sell.
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >