Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-11-2012, 05:30 PM

Pestle & Mortar

I bought one of these a few months ago, and must say I love it - I feel like a proper cook now

It was only £10 from Sainsburys too! Do you guys use yours often?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

16-11-2012, 05:35 PM
I have had one for a long time but must confess I very rarely use it.

I should use it more shouldn't I
I also have one of those mezzaluna knife and board and don't use that either great for chopping herbs. It is on show though.
My excuse is I am waiting for my farmhouse kitchen.
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-11-2012, 05:36 PM
I use mine for crushing dog tablets
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2012, 05:41 PM
I haven't got one. Last time I used one was for chemistry.
Meg
Supervisor

16-11-2012, 06:06 PM
Yes I have one and sometimes use it for pastes eg herbs and garlic but for spices and most things I really I prefer my little coffee grinder which does a better /faster job
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2012, 06:15 PM
We have one, I like the idea of it and do use it occasionally but in practice I find it quite uncomfortable if crushing loads of stuff
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

16-11-2012, 07:31 PM
No pestle & mortar here. I do have a mezzaluna - correction, I have three [why? ] - a small single-bladed one with an indented board, a slightly larger double-bladed one [without a board], and a very large single-bladed one.

But I rarely use any of them. Instead I have two wet & dry electric grinders, one for wet and one for dry [of course]. I also have a coffee grinder which I use for flax seeds.
Heather and Zak
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2012, 07:48 PM
Oh dear I thought you were talking about walls. Our house is built with stone and mortar. I had to google to see what you were talking about. Can you tell I haven't got one.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

16-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
I have had one for a long time but must confess I very rarely use it.

I should use it more shouldn't I
I also have one of those mezzaluna knife and board and don't use that either great for chopping herbs. It is on show though.
My excuse is I am waiting for my farmhouse kitchen.
You and me both Lynn I actually use the dinning room to do most of my prep as I hate the kitchen. It's a really old style one and is actually falling apart! Look forward to getting it done - hmm maybe when one day!

Originally Posted by Carole View Post
I use mine for crushing dog tablets
lol mind you that's a good idea, I might buy one of those little porcelain ones for that - Sainsburys had them on offer for about £4 the other week.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star View Post
I haven't got one. Last time I used one was for chemistry.
Remember bunsen burners?

P&Ms are great - especially for herbal stuff

Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Yes I have one and sometimes use it for pastes eg herbs and garlic but for spices and most things I really I prefer my little coffee grinder which does a better /faster job
I have one of those food processors (bought it for Rocky when I was feeding him raw) but the bit that I think is for grinding just isn't very good. I probably need a dedicated one. Although tbh I don't mind this one as I find it quite relaxing

Originally Posted by majuka View Post
We have one, I like the idea of it and do use it occasionally but in practice I find it quite uncomfortable if crushing loads of stuff
I think the trick is to go round and round whenver I try to crush anything I get bits flying off everywhere lol. But going round and round seems to grind it down well. (Guess it would only work with seeds/dry stuff)

Originally Posted by Malka View Post
No pestle & mortar here. I do have a mezzaluna - correction, I have three [why? ] - a small single-bladed one with an indented board, a slightly larger double-bladed one [without a board], and a very large single-bladed one.

But I rarely use any of them. Instead I have two wet & dry electric grinders, one for wet and one for dry [of course]. I also have a coffee grinder which I use for flax seeds.
I don't have a Mezzaluna but want one - as I always make a mess of coriander, especially the last bit!

I have no idea why you have three tho Malka

Originally Posted by Heather and Zak View Post
Oh dear I thought you were talking about walls. Our house is built with stone and mortar. I had to google to see what you were talking about. Can you tell I haven't got one.
Your house must be like this one Heather 100 year old with thick stone walls - I want to knock the wall down seperating two rooms in the lower ground floor, I would get about a 3rd of the room space the walls are so thick! About a metre wide
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-11-2012, 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post

Remember bunsen burners?

P&Ms are great - especially for herbal stuff

Oh yeah! Great fun! Putting your arm through the 'safe' flame ...
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >