View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Azz
Administrator
Male 

19-08-2010, 07:17 PM

Food processer question and recommendations please!

Probably a daft question (!) but can a food processor slice carrots into sticks?

Like this:

I think I'm going to be doing lots of stews and hotpots so would be handy if I could easily get my carrots sliced into sticks

Also, can they dice onions? Like this:

That would save me sooo much time as I'm so slow

Also, which ones do you recommend?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

19-08-2010, 08:01 PM
For me it's always a magimix, they're fab built to last with spare parts available for about 25 years and an endless array of accessories. The only down side is the price but I recently replaced mine after about 30years so and was quite shocked at the price of some of the lesser machines by comparison. You need a Julienne cutter for those carrots which is usually an extra.
http://www.magimix-spares.co.uk/cata...asp?PrGrp=1000
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-08-2010, 08:31 PM
If i'm cooking in bulk or for more than two I use a mandoline for all my slicing and dicing requirements and it's always been pretty good.

Having said that I would love a food processor and would probably go for a magimix.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-08-2010, 01:07 PM
Thanks both

Those magimixes look expensive didn't want to spend that much

So I need one of these Julienne slicers I guess - which one do you think is best?

I'm thinking the one in the middle - as I guess the 1st will always leave some, and the last will be restricted to size!

Unless there's a cheap ish food processor for less than 30 quid that does it too?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-08-2010, 01:23 PM
middle one is a mandolin and the best of the three, try to get one with a few different attachments if poss and mind your fingers or you'll lose them.
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Azz I bought the first one and it was a waste of time.If it was me I would buy a good sharp knife and do it by hand. Although slow at first you will get quicker really soon and then any of the gadgets would be redundant....you still have to peel the carrots etc which is actually the longest part!
esmed
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 01:50 PM
I've got one similar to your middle picture and would be my choice out of the three.

Mine has 4 settings so you can grate and slice in three shapes and sizes which is great for julienne but also great if you want to evenly slice potatoes for the top of a hotpot or something.

I do still do most stuff with just a knife but if i want precision or am cooking in bulk then the mandoline becomes a life-saver!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-08-2010, 02:09 PM
Thanks guys - ordered the middle one will let you know what it's like!

Fudge - I don't peel my carrots just wash them with a 'brush' they are organic so I try to keep the skins on as they are good for you the non-organic ones taste like water to me lol
Fudgeley
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-08-2010, 03:07 PM
Originally Posted by Azz View Post
Thanks guys - ordered the middle one will let you know what it's like!

Fudge - I don't peel my carrots just wash them with a 'brush' they are organic so I try to keep the skins on as they are good for you the non-organic ones taste like water to me lol
Azz

As I was typing I knew you were going to say that! Enjoy! I would still get handy with a knife though! A bit like being able to use a camera in manual mode I reckon!
Azz
Administrator
Male 

20-08-2010, 03:42 PM
Lol I know... but knowing me I'd chop me finger off or sommin
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >