Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Mese
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:41 AM
I dont like it either when I see people refer to an animal as it

I often say my dogs are my furbabies or furfriends and that im their Mum , but im fully aware that they are dogs and they do get treated like dogs
louise!
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I don't like using 'it' but I will refer to them as 'the dogs' or just 'the dog' sometimes. Their ears prick up at 'dog' as it's usually in the context of "have you fed the dogs?"/"shall we take the dogs out?"
Jet&Copper
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by louise! View Post
I don't like using 'it' but I will refer to them as 'the dogs' or just 'the dog' sometimes. Their ears prick up at 'dog' as it's usually in the context of "have you fed the dogs?"/"shall we take the dogs out?"
Yeah I do that too. I'd also refer to the children as "the kids" though!
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by DoKhyi View Post
I only use "it" on my own dogs if they've been little cacks and up to something that's annoyed me. I often use "that thing" in the same context. People who use "it" in public to refer to their dogs make me sad.

I do call strange dogs it occasionally, but he or she if it's obvious what sex they are. Often use he as a default too and apologise if the dog is a girl.

I don't use furbabies/kids, but my mum refers to herself as grandma even in public. I'm usually referred to as their pet person and they are the doglets (and bunsters for the rabbits). I often come home from shopping and shout "Mummy wolf is home!" to them as they must think I'm a hell of a hunter the amount of food I bring them.
I hope they appreciate your hunting prowess
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 02:23 PM
I hate it as well well people call their dogs it. I can understand with a strange dog and TBH i think i dislike it more when people say 'he' about my dogs as they stut about in bright pink collars! LOL I try to say their or your dog so for example, 'Your dog is lovely, whats their name?'

I dont ever call mine 'it' though we do ofter refer to Cassie as 'The Lurcher' Ela and Raina as 'The idiots'
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 04:44 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
i think i dislike it more when people say 'he' about my dogs as they stut about in bright pink collars!

This made me laugh. I saw a beautiful pink and gold martingale collar when I was looking for one for Guinness. I contacted the owner of the site to ask if it could be done in any other colours. I wasn't going to put a pink one on a male dog (to save on the gender confusion I knew would result).
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by scout75 View Post
It refers to an inanimate object. I hate it if someone refers to my dogs as IT.

A woman with a toddler was once talking to my dogs and she asked me 'does IT eat a lot' so I replied politely and then nodded towards her child and said 'how old is IT?'

Don't think she liked that.
Love it
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 08:30 PM
Originally Posted by Razcox View Post
I hate it as well well people call their dogs it. I can understand with a strange dog and TBH i think i dislike it more when people say 'he' about my dogs as they stut about in bright pink collars! LOL I try to say their or your dog so for example, 'Your dog is lovely, whats their name?'

I dont ever call mine 'it' though we do ofter refer to Cassie as 'The Lurcher' Ela and Raina as 'The idiots'
A friend put a pink diamante collar on her white GSD to make her gender clear. Like your dogs people still referred to her as "he" .

Ah well better than"it" I suppose.
PB&J
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:51 PM
Gelert has been mistaken for a girl a couple of times. I think it's because he's got quite a dainty, pretty little face I should get him a really butch collar with studs on...
I'd rather he was called she than it anyway!
Page 5 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5