Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 06:30 PM

Advise me on my next vehicle!

Ok...

So in April I get a new motability vehicle. This time it's gonna have to be bigger than my wee micra!

When I got my micra, it was fine, the wheelchair folded up in the back comfortably and I hadn't got a dog, this time I'm going to need a much bigger vehicle. Ideally, I'd like to fit a large crate to fit both dogs and my scooter in the back but I know this is going to be tough.

I think the best way to do it is going to be an MPV with removable back seats but I'm rubbish on cars so any advice as to which MPV (or other type of vehicle) would be best would be much appreciated.

I need:
space for mobility scooter, with access without me having to lift it in
space for both dogs in one or two crates
passenger space
not too high up for me to get into

Don't want much do I?
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-11-2007, 06:41 PM
You could always get a Citroen multispace

http://www.citroen.co.uk/level3/mota...ype=multispace
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 07:02 PM
Thanks Colin... I'm not sure it'll be big enough

The mobility scooter I'm getting will be a large, robust one for 'cross country' type use and they don't fold up as small (if at all) as the shopmobility type...
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 07:16 PM
kangoo??

not sure who makes them though
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 07:19 PM
I know a lady with a kangoo and she's struggling to work out how to get her 2 dogs (mini and standard doodles) and her scooter into it so not sure it would be the best choice....
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 07:42 PM
What about the Renault scenic or Espace?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-11-2007, 08:09 PM
How about a mercedes vito ?

Mercedes-Benz's second-generation Vito is a highly competent medium-sized panel van, also offered in window and multi-seat versions. Two wheelbases, two roof heights and three body lengths are available. All diesels are modern and economical, with auto options and a powerful V6 petrol version is also available. The Vito probably has more safety features as standard than any van of its type, with airbag, anti-lock brakes and electronic stability control. It is a great panel van that seems to cope with anything an owner could ask of it.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-11-2007, 10:03 PM
Thanks guys,

I'll look them up. There's no rush but I like to be prepared!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-11-2007, 08:13 AM
Hi Lottie.

You should ask Lovezois - she got a new car recently (not sure what it was though), but I know that the back is really low and that there is plenty of room for her 2 borzois, so may be worth looking into?
Sez & Amber
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-11-2007, 10:17 AM
I have a Citroen Picasso. Loads of space in it for my wheelchair, easy access, and I can fit both dogs in (although not in a crate... you may need to take measurements). All the back seats come out (well, they do for someone more able-bodied than I!), and the car turns into a mini-van - very useful when OH was moving in with me. In fact, you can use it with two, three, four or five seats, so if you needed the space and didn't have to carry more than two passengers, you could just remove the middle and one side seat for room for your scooter, etc.

I am considering selling the Picasso and getting a car on the Motability scheme, as the Picasso is coming up on it's eighth birthday and has done more than 80,000 miles. It's soon going to start costing a bit to maintain. I found two motability cars that I really liked, required no payment upfront and I think one of them didn't even require the full amount of DLA every week. Unfortunately, they're on my favourites on my home laptop, so I have no idea what they were , but my OH thought they would happily accommodate both us, the dogs, my wheelchair and any luggage if we were going on holiday. If my addled brain reminds me, I will find them when I get home.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >