View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2013, 10:09 PM
I am reading something I got free on Kindle called 'Falling Star' - it hasn't grabbed me yet but I hate to chuck the towel in on a book.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 04:23 PM
Well it has been a few months, we have had 2 more bookclub meetings and have read some great books.

"The Art of Racing in the Rain" another book set in Seattle, thoroughly recommend.

"Where did you go Bernadette" another Seattle book (see a pattern) and the concensus was that it was great however the ending was rushed and seemed like the author was given a page limit and made it work whatever, such a shame as people felt they really didn't ever find out what happened.

So this months book is "Until Tuesday" a perfect dogsey book, it is about a US service man who comes home from his 2nd tour of duty and PTSD and other issues to be matched with Tuesday a Golden Retriever who has had some issues with service dog training, it is basically a story about they rescuing each other. I can't wait to get started.

I just need to finish up Bridget Jones 3 - which is wonderful and I am thoroughly enjoying!!!!!!!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 04:57 PM
DD,please don't say what happens in Bridget Jones yet,I've just started it...will have it read in a jiffy though
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 05:34 PM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
DD,please don't say what happens in Bridget Jones yet,I've just started it...will have it read in a jiffy though
Oh I won't spoil it for you, I am really really enjoying it!!! I have pretty much read it solidly all weekend *wonders why nothing else got done*
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 05:38 PM
Originally Posted by DaisyD0g View Post
Oh I won't spoil it for you, I am really really enjoying it!!! I have pretty much read it solidly all weekend *wonders why nothing else got done*
I'll be the same, no doubt Thanks,will let you know what I think xx
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 09:02 PM
I'm bad - hardly read anything over Xmas and left the book I started reading on the plane behind and now can't remember what it was called so it couldn't have been that enthralling!

I've read two books since - The Boy in the Striped Pyjamas - John Boyne. And The Descendants = Kaul Hart Hemmings. Got the DVDs at Xmas and wanted to read the books first so put them on my Kindle.

Reason for so little reading is the number of DVD boxed sets I was given for Xmas pressies! I won't go into detail about those as this is not a Movie thread!

I loved The Descendants and loved the movie too.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 09:04 PM
BUT we still want to hear all about them.... so post away
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 09:13 PM
Well Boy in Striped Pyjamas ... quite implausible plot but very thought provoking, mainly addressing racism and segregation (the way Jews were treated) and touching on how aware Germans in general were of the situation and the propoganda put out about 'the camps' at the time.

Descendants. Well, I don't think I've ever seen a George Clooney movie I didn't enjoy! Mmmmm.....

Wife in a coma from a boating accident - two very difficult daughters to deal with. Started off thinking I really wouldn't like any of the kids but ended up liking them all! Set in Hawaii but giving a glimpse of it that isn't tour guide-ish and interesting stuff about the head honcho families there and how they came to own what they own.

Loved it from start to finish.

*spent two or three WHOLE evenings watching every episode of 2 series of some BBC drama called The Paradise! Oh I do like a period drama I do!

Saving myself up to watch the whole lot of Downton Abbey!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 09:19 PM
WOW - Descendents sounds interesting, and I would watch Boy In Striped PJ's just for the title.. was the book good?

OMG I was late to the party on Downton and watched all of it in about the space of 2 months.. I was SO disappointed by this years xmas special, it was just pants, I felt like they thought the audience were idiots with the terrible story line. I actually stopped watching it about 2/3rds of the way through.

I just read a book called the "Family Fang" - I will never get that time back, the premise was ok, about a very dysfunctional family who disrupt regular day to day lives of other people by doing weird art performances.. anyway I kept at it thinking it was going to go somewhere... and it didn't I was gutted, I was so annoyed I had vested so much time into it and it amounted to Nada... hey ho!!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-01-2014, 09:22 PM
Oh when I can't think what to read (and I do like books that address the family dynamic) I will pick up a Tony Parsons and read it - even if I've read it before. Guaranteed to make you laugh and cry.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >