Our sister sites
Our sister sites
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 02:15 AM

The Book Club Thread..

For all you readers out there - tonight is book club night.. we have just read:

"Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet" such an amazing story, very fitting for us as it is set in Seattle, and there is a lot of very interesting history to it also, it is about the Chinese and Japanese American's during WW2 and how they were treated, a wonderful story that also does a good job of detailing the racism and racial profiling that occurred.

Would I recommend it - Absolutely!!!!
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 06:38 AM
Book clubbers just left...

Books discussed = 1
Wine drunk = plenty!!!
Gossip talked = endless!!

Good fun, and everyone agreed it was a fantastic book!!
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 06:46 AM
I'm a big time reader... but I've not found a book club... but WOW you all were up late! Oh wait, you're an hour behind me so it's only 10:45 pm there... so not that late lol.

Gossip and wine sound like a fun combo! Lol
lore
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 07:07 AM
I was reading Anne McAffrey Enjoy reading about her dragons on PERN.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 08:48 AM
great idea dd.

Recently reread My Favourite Wife - Tony Parsons.

Young family relocated to Shanghai during the boom years - seeking to better themselves via his high power attorney job.

He is one of my favourite authors - I've read everything he wrote and wish he wrote more!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

15-11-2013, 08:56 AM
That book sounds somewhat similar to Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson, which was set in Puget Sound and which also had racial overtones towards the Japanese because of WWII.

I think it is about time I read it yet again, so thanks DD for reminding me of it.
DaisyD0g
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-11-2013, 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
That book sounds somewhat similar to Snow Falling on Cedars by David Guterson, which was set in Puget Sound and which also had racial overtones towards the Japanese because of WWII.

I think it is about time I read it yet again, so thanks DD for reminding me of it.
Yes we discussed this book too, it is very similar, I haven't read Snow Falling on Cedars but definitely intend to, as some of the ladies had read both and said they were both equally excellent, if you enjoyed it I would recommend "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet"
Jenny
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 04:55 PM
I bought 'Snow Falling on Cedars' some time ago and its still sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. This has just reminded me to read it next.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-11-2013, 05:13 PM
I'd forgotten about this thread? I read one of Jen's chick flicks last week. So memorable I've forgotten what it's called. I will dig it out.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-11-2013, 05:14 PM
Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
I bought 'Snow Falling on Cedars' some time ago and its still sitting on my bookshelf waiting to be read. This has just reminded me to read it next.
I will be interested in hearing what you think of it when you have read it. I know that my twin, who lives in Seattle, loved the book as much as I did, but was sadly disappointed in the film. But then that happens quite often when a really good story is ruined by the film version.
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >