Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 03:44 PM

Raw Sardines

Just given my gang raw sardines for the second time.

The first lot (on another occasion) went down lovely.

Not sure if todays were off, but they were not so keen. The pup and the Goldie ate them, and then within 20 mins the pup was making the 'ooh aah' noises associated with vomiting .

As he was in the kitchen, I quickly lifted him and carried him towards the back door, where before I'd put a foot outside he yielded forth said sardines. It all happened so quickly and as I was on the move, I trod in it, slipped and skidded towards back door , ( I let out a little scream ) where further sardines spewed forth.
Lulusmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:36 PM
OMG poor you, hope you are o.k. Bet the vomit smelt wonderful! doesn't sound too good. Were they fresh defrosted frozen. Maybe your pup ate far too fast?
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 04:41 PM
Originally Posted by Lulusmum View Post
OMG poor you, hope you are o.k. Bet the vomit smelt wonderful! doesn't sound too good. Were they fresh defrosted frozen. Maybe your pup ate far too fast?
Luckily I didn't go over, it was more like standing on a roller skate .

They were fresh from Tesco fish counter, I gave them to them as I unpacked the shopping. The goldie woofed his whole, so surprised his have stayed put, but the pup took his time, eating the head first then the rest. They didn't smell, but maybe they were not that fresh.

Just pondering whether to throw the antique rug he so carefully didn't miss.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:36 PM
Upchucking fresh fish is quite common.

That is why I always advise caution to begin with.

The beauty of it is that they get to enjoy a meal all over again, so they get two meals for teh price of one.

The downside is that IME they tend to upchuck on your antique rug, fitted carpet or in side the car when you are on a long journey.

I am very careful where and when I feed raw fish!
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Upchucking fresh fish is quite common.

That is why I always advise caution to begin with.

The beauty of it is that they get to enjoy a meal all over again, so they get two meals for teh price of one.

The downside is that IME they tend to upchuck on your antique rug, fitted carpet or in side the car when you are on a long journey.

I am very careful where and when I feed raw fish!
Ha ha . They were fine the other week when they had them. No, they would not go back for seconds. I've tried begging the cats to clear it up, but no takers there either. Fingers crossed for a passing penguin or sea lion .

The antique rug is staying until the kitchen starts ponging like a bad UTI
Wozzy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 05:55 PM
Mine sometimes throw up their fresh fish so I tend to stick to tinned stuff now, or feed it frozen and it seems to go down a bit better. I find if they arent too keen on eating it but force themselves (perhaps due to pressure from another dog) then they bring it back up again.
kate_7590
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 06:42 PM
Mine have never thrown up fresh fish :S
Unfortunatly only Simba will eat raw fish.
Tegs_mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-05-2012, 08:22 PM
I can just see you skidding

Teg chucked up sardines the last time he had it. I could tell he didn't really want it but ate it anyway. Thankfully he was in the garden although a year ago he threw up a load of fish in my front room on the carpet! And last week Hocus sicked up some tripe also on my poor front room carpet, that wasn't better second time round

Salmon is much loved in my house (by me and them ) and is never brought back up.
dragonfly
Dogsey Senior
Female 

08-05-2012, 10:19 PM
Interesting!
My pup threw up his herring last week too - three times! each time he ate it again but the 3rd time I saud enough was enough and cleared it up. He ate it with gusto and I had bought it fresh the same day . He has not been sick with tinned sardines or the piece of fresh makerel I gave him before.
Does anyone know why they are sometimes sick with raw fish?

To the OP, sorry you slipped! but I had a chuckle at your story (I once had a similar experience with a vomiting child, shudders at the memory)
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-05-2012, 08:25 AM
Originally Posted by dragonfly View Post
Interesting!
My pup threw up his herring last week too - three times! each time he ate it again but the 3rd time I saud enough was enough and cleared it up. He ate it with gusto and I had bought it fresh the same day . He has not been sick with tinned sardines or the piece of fresh makerel I gave him before.
Does anyone know why they are sometimes sick with raw fish?

To the OP, sorry you slipped! but I had a chuckle at your story (I once had a similar experience with a vomiting child, shudders at the memory)
I don't know, he was fine last time, & he was not keen to re eat, although the remained in situ in my old goldie, who vommed his prize mince & chicken liver on a walk on saturday . Maybe they were off? I'll try them once more & see how they go.

No worries, I find the funny side in everything, just disappointed that my son who was glued to the TV didn't witness it & get a giggle out of it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >