Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ljru1970
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2012, 06:44 PM
Originally Posted by Dolce View Post
Rescue GSD, how could I not reply.........
Some lovely dogs on here.

Shes our first GSD and we went through GSD Rescue Scotland, who Im full of praise for.

With our working hours we couldn't have a pup, so Maddie was rouglhy 3-4 when we got her. We are her second home through the rescue, through no fault of her own. Her first owner had to move abroad with work and couldn't take her.

They are very upfront with you on any issues etc, no need to hide anything, for the first month you are on foster terms just in case it doens't work out. Maddie does not like cats, but she is great with all dogs and people.

It did take us a wee while to get thought the whole process but we are glad we persevered. We are very happy with her.

Any excuse for pics! [IMG][/IMG]

Ahh, she's beautiful, I love that last pic of her
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:31 PM
thanks, I'm.very pro rescue. hope it works out westie n.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Thanks, Kirsty. Once we get my gran on board I'll give Liz a call and see what she says. It's worth a shot anyway. We definitely could provide a good one for one, but we shall see.

Thanks for sharing your stories, pictures and thoughts. Your first GSD was lovely!
OK - good luck with it all, and if you need any more help just give me a shout
GSDlover4ever
Almost a Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 08:55 PM
I got Zara from a bad situation she was basically left in a kennel for the first 11 months of her life and miss treated…
She has her moments, but as a whole she is a fantastic dog and it took me a lot of work to get her to the stage she is at today.

Recently she has been diagnosed with arthritis of the knees and previously she didn’t want to go out for walks, which is unheard of fir Zara.
However she is on various Herbal treatment/supplements and bio collar and she seems to be doing great. She will be 8 in September. She loves to please me and still acts like a daft puppy. Maisy is her best friend, Zara lets her away with murder…

Maisy, Matty & Zara by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

Maisy & Zara by Foxy Robyn, on Flickr

JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Isn't Abbie just lovely? What a sweetheart. ..............

Thanks for sharing the video!
Yes she was She adored my Dad & when she died suddenly he was heartbroken-they are together again now though at The Bridge
Kiing
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2012, 12:39 AM
We got Anton from an all-breed rescue near us - we hadn't done enough research, went there wanting a medium sized dog, ended up with a GSD because he was the nicest to walk on the lead!

The rescue itself was a bit odd - Anton had/has a lump on his head; no one there seemed to know what it was until someone finally decided that it was an abcess that had been removed. That probably should've sent alarm bells ringing. Also, Anton wasn't castrated even though they told us he was, leading to confusion all over the place, as we (stupidly) didn't actually realise until someone pointed out that he was clearly still intact (I did have my suspicions, but hey, the rescue said he'd been done). The rescue said he had no behaviour problems - which is fair enough, he didn't start showing signs of any issues until he'd been with us for 2 months and after his castration, so maybe there was no sign of it at the centre.

As it is, Anton is people-aggressive towards strangers in the house is they are not properly introduced and he's also reactive onlead towards other dogs. He's absolutely perfect in every other way, and 99% of the time is a pleasure to own. I do think he would have done better in a GSD-savvy home where his owner would have understood him and his behaviours from day one, but we're getting there now and that's what matters.

Some great advice on this thread, if you rescue a shep, that'll be one lucky dog.
Dolce
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-04-2012, 08:26 AM
[QUOTE=Kiing;2510710] I do think he would have done better in a GSD-savvy home where his owner would have understood him and his behaviours from day one, but we're getting there now and that's what matters.
QUOTE]

i think by the sounds of it, he has found the perfect home. Many may not have persevered.
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3