View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 07:11 AM
I hope it goes well at the vets today with Bentley.
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:43 AM
Hi everyone… I managed to get an early appointment with Bentley so just back from vets now.

Its just a skin prob!!!

The vet checked him over and said he was showing no other signs of the serious illnesses I worried myself about from google last night lol.. and that it was just typical general Westie probs.

The vet said although his groin is bad at the moment there are no fleas and that his ears/face/around eyes/paws are perfect and that he is actually really lucky to get to 8 yrs old and have so few skin probs!!

He wanted me to try him on Hills ZD ultra.. he said it’s perfect for Westies but he had a trial on that when he was 1 year old when he was quite itchy and it didn’t make any difference so I said we will think about it. He said that I should change Bentleys food though because its not truly hypoallergenic (the bag says it is!!!) and go for one specially for sensitive skin... so any recommendations??

He has given me some tablets for him… Viacutan Plus 550mg... 1 tab once a day, he has given me a 2 months supply for now. Said to stop the fish oil I give him and just use these.

Also been given some Maleseb shampoo that I have to wash his groin in 2-3 times a week, and some Fuciderm gel that I have to put on his twice a day.

Really relieved it was nothing too serious (although could seriously have done without the £83 bill… insurance doesn’t kick in till £90!! Grr.. but Bentley is ok.. that all that matters).

THANK YOU SO MUCH to all those that reply/reassured/help... you are lovely people!!
SneaksyWhippet
Dogsey Senior
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:48 AM
I'm glad to hear that Bentley is OK

One of my whippets gets very darkened skin under his legs and around his groin area when he's been in the sun. The change since we had the mini heatwave a few weeks ago is really noticeable! It worried me at first too

I imagine a lot of advice you might get regarding feeding will suggest trying him on a raw diet. I know of quite a few dogs whose skin conditions have cleared up really well after switching to raw. It's truly hypoallergenic because you yourself control exactly what the dog gets

Is raw feeding something you would consider?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Food wise, I'd be inclined to forget the Hills just now and try Burns or James Wellbeloved instead - you could try a different protein source to what he has at the moment.

What food is he currently on?

You are lucky, same as me, to have a Westie at 8 years old with few skin issues. My Molly had a minor one years ago but managed to get on top of it, changed food etc and she has always been fine.

She does well on Burns and James Wellbeloved. She is currently on James Wellbeloved fish and veg.

Plenty of oily fish is good too, like mackerel and sardines. Well, I've found it helps Molly.

She also has moist food like Nature Diet and Natures Harvest mixed through and occasionally Lily's Kitchen foil trays, too.

Hope this helps.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 09:50 AM
Raw feeding is not the be all and end all, BTW, so don't worry. I'd try the foods mentioned above for now.
EmmiS
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by Westie_N View Post
Raw feeding is not the be all and end all, BTW, so don't worry. I'd try the foods mentioned above for now.
agree, there are lots of good hypoallergenic foods on the market what do you currently feed?
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 10:07 AM
Originally Posted by SneaksyWhippet View Post
I'm glad to hear that Bentley is OK

One of my whippets gets very darkened skin under his legs and around his groin area when he's been in the sun. The change since we had the mini heatwave a few weeks ago is really noticeable! It worried me at first too

I imagine a lot of advice you might get regarding feeding will suggest trying him on a raw diet. I know of quite a few dogs whose skin conditions have cleared up really well after switching to raw. It's truly hypoallergenic because you yourself control exactly what the dog gets

Is raw feeding something you would consider?
Hi, thank you for your reply.

I don't think I could manage raw feeding to be honest.. i'm veggie and it takes all I have to cook any meat for Bentley and my boyfriend.. never mind feeding raw!! meat

if raw feeding would really be loads better for him though I could try and give it a go... although i dont really want to!!

Food wise, I'd be inclined to forget the Hills just now and try Burns or James Wellbeloved instead - you could try a different protein source to what he has at the moment.

What food is he currently on?

You are lucky, same as me, to have a Westie at 8 years old with few skin issues. My Molly had a minor one years ago but managed to get on top of it, changed food etc and she has always been fine.

She does well on Burns and James Wellbeloved. She is currently on James Wellbeloved fish and veg.

Plenty of oily fish is good too, like mackerel and sardines. Well, I've found it helps Molly.

She also has moist food like Nature Diet and Natures Harvest mixed through and occasionally Lily's Kitchen foil trays, too.

Hope this helps.
Hi Westie N I'm really pleased molly doesnt have any skin problems either.

Bentley used to be on James wellbeloved turkey & rice right up until about six weeks ago... then we moved in with my boyfriend and to save buying two lots of different dog food I moved Bentley onto what he feeds his dog... Arden grange sensitive.

I did think it could be the change in food that has upset Bentley but I wasnt sure as the skin discolouration started way more than six weeks ago... do you think its the Arden grange that might be adding to the problem?? it's fish and potato and hypoallergenic (altho vet said it wasnt really!!!) .. it wouldnt be a problem to move him back to James wellbeloved if really needed.

Bentley already has a tin of sardines (in water not salt!) for his treat at the weekend lol

Do you think it would be ok to use fish oil alongside the tablets the vet gave us??? I normally give Bentley one Omega fish oil capsule a day... i thought more fatty oil for skin the better really but vet said the capsules he gave us were better??
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 10:08 AM
I'd be tempted to try him on something like Wafcol Salmon and Potato so that you can run an elimination diet to see if you can identify any possible food intolerances/allergies
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Arden Grange is a really good food. Not every food is suitable for every dog though, even if it's a really good quality dry. Sometimes it's trial and error with some dogs to find what suits them best.

I meant to add that when I wash Molly, I use Malaseb too or Epi-Soothe, which helps keep thing under control too.

Why don't you try Burns? Failing that, JWB again?

No, I wouldn't give him the oil alongside what the vet has given you for him.

Also, make sure you wash things he comes in to contact with with non biodetergent as well and wipe him down with a damp towel ater walks etc, just in case.

You certainly are doing your best for Bentley, so don't be too concerned! He looks a really lovely boy and, like your vet has said, is fine in every other way.

Would like more pics of him, please!
BentleyBoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

17-04-2012, 10:37 AM
Arden Grange is a really good food. Not every food is suitable for every dog though, even if it's a really good quality dry. Sometimes it's trial and error with some dogs to find what suits them best.

I meant to add that when I wash Molly, I use Malaseb too or Epi-Soothe, which helps keep thing under control too.

Why don't you try Burns? Failing that, JWB again?

No, I wouldn't give him the oil alongside what the vet has given you for him.

Also, make sure you wash things he comes in to contact with with non biodetergent as well and wipe him down with a damp towel ater walks etc, just in case.

You certainly are doing your best for Bentley, so don't be too concerned! He looks a really lovely boy and, like your vet has said, is fine in every other way.

Would like more pics of him, please!
Yes I think i will go back to the James wellbeloved for a little while, it cant hurt to try... can just buy the smaller 2kg bags just for him. I would try Burns but I know for sure I can get JWB from the pet shop down the road so it's handy if i ever forget to order online.

I'm v careful with what treats he has aswell.. just fish4dogs jerky, JWB biscuits and bits of cooked chicken really.

I will stop the fish oil capsules for now. Already wash his bed in ecover sensitive non-bio stuff and just use a steam mop on the floor... no flash or fabreeze on anything!

I will take some pictures for you

Thank you ever so much for your help, you have been really great.
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >