Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 08:31 PM

Flipping food!

Grrrrrrrrrr - Not only does Harvey need so much more of this food but he has couple of bald patches developing so obviously something seriously missing in it.

Going tomorrow to pet store & probably have a toss up between Wafcol & ProPlan
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Oh dear and you had done so much research on it, was this Wainwrights?
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-08-2011, 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by smokeybear View Post
Oh dear and you had done so much research on it, was this Wainwrights?
He was on Wainwrights Chicken & due to inaccessibility of parking (due to a new Gym opening next door to PAH) had to stop going & have been using Jollyes instead & changed his nibs to JWB Lamb kibble.
greyhoundk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 06:02 AM
Apparently P @ H are now doing a food that it virtually the same as Fish4dogs called Fishmongers and its about £30 quid a bag.
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 06:50 AM
Fishmongers looks quite good but its only a 10kg bag and I think you have to feed a fair amount. If you google it and look at the images that come up there is a photo of the ingredients and feeding guide.

I'm considering switching to Barking Heads and I know Jolleys stock this. Its more expensive but when I emailed them they said you only feed approx 10g per kg, which doesn't seem much but if true would make it better value than it seems.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 08:53 AM
Originally Posted by greyhoundk View Post
Apparently P @ H are now doing a food that it virtually the same as Fish4dogs called Fishmongers and its about £30 quid a bag.
Ive seen it, keep price down with very plain packaging. Didnt try it tho..
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 09:17 AM
Originally Posted by wallaroo View Post
Fishmongers looks quite good but its only a 10kg bag and I think you have to feed a fair amount. If you google it and look at the images that come up there is a photo of the ingredients and feeding guide.*

I'm considering switching to Barking Heads and I know Jolleys stock this. Its more expensive but when I emailed them they said you only feed approx 10g per kg, which doesn't seem much but if true would make it better value than it seems.
Just went to their website, impressed with ingredients, their salmon & potato is simIlar to Wafcol & Wainwrights salmon & potato. They do add barley tho & im hoping to keep away from grains from now on. It does look an excellent nutritional food. It is true what they say, you do feed less of these foods & it works out quite economical

I sat down last night & got Laptop out, usually on the iPhone (as now ) & did a comparison between several foods. Wainwrights & Wafcol are very very similar & much better foods, in my humble opinion, to the one we have been feeding so its no wonder Harvey's condition has suffered.

Our big placid boy has also been a tad hyper. Didnt connect that with diet until my comparison of foods last night & compared ingredients & then it clicked into place. Food intolerances can manifest in many ways. I had thought it due to letting my nephew take them out

Im off to Jollyes this morning to stock up the cupboards!
wallaroo
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Velvetboxers View Post
Just went to their website, impressed with ingredients, their salmon & potato is simIlar to Wafcol & Wainwrights salmon & potato. They do add barley tho & im hoping to keep away from grains from now on. It does look an excellent nutritional food. It is true what they say, you do feed less of these foods & it works out quite economical

Im off to Jollyes this morning to stock up the cupboards!
You mean the wainwrights? I can't see it in the others. Toby is on wainwrights at the moment, to be honest i hadn't noticed the barley. When we were looking originally it was more the meat & rice I was avoiding. I've just started researching again as he is ill and i want him on the least stressful thing for his tummy. The wainwrights has suited him but it does result in alot of waste out the other end! My only worry is that a better quality food wont make him feel full, as he'll get less of it.
leadstaffs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 01:09 PM
JWB is one of the only foods I recommend my puppy buyers don't feed. They use Rosemary as the preservative as do some other food manufacturers but they must use more than others. Rosemary is a mental stimulant and it can make some dogs a bit hyper.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

09-08-2011, 01:23 PM
check out the fine detail on fishmongers - if you compare the cupric/copper etc content to other foods its v high

i take note of it given dobes can be prone to copper toxicosis in Proplan it was something like 16mg/kg but in fishmongers it was at least double that i figure it was dwon to using lower quality salmon? given they are know for absorbing heavy metals (not saying that copper is one of them but kinda made sense to me)
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >