Our sister sites
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:02 PM

otis going crazy

Sorry Guys

In on my own again and guess what... Otis is really playing up again
So much so i have been bitten three times by him. Really running out of patience and dont know what to do.

Usually he is the most loving little fella and loves cuddles and kisses. But sometimes he has 'crazy' moments and turns aggressive.

Maybe i need to see a behaviourist- but don't know where to start looking for one.

The main problem is when he gets on the sofa and i tell him to get off. I have tried really nicely trying to entice him down, but that don't work. Then i shout and say otis off, then he turns on me, starts growling, shows his teeth. And if i dare go anywhere near him to get him off, he literally bites me. Never draws blood but i am covered in bruises. Some one told me to roll up a newspaper and lift it above my head. He just tried attacking that instead and leapt in the air to try and bite me.

What do i do. Sitting here crying cos think my 6 month of pup is going to turn into an aggressive monster and all i want to do is show him i love him.

jx
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:27 PM
Have you still got the PMs I sent you last time? The same advice still applies.

I've no idea why anyone would recommend you use a newspaper; maybe I'm just being dumb.

You haven't got a monster, you've got an enthusiastic, bouncy, puppy who just needs to be taught the boundaries

PM me again if I can help.

Becs
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 08:29 PM
Hi Otis,

Do you have any previous experience of Staffs?

Graeme
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:38 PM
sorry guys- i know i must sound like a right idiot. Becs still got ur pm's and i promise i am trying to follow them. Just have no one else to turn to.
Graeme - never had a dog before. otis is my first.
He is now sitting on my lap wanting cuddles!!!
maybe its me who needs to see a behaviorist!!!
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:42 PM
Honestly, you don't sound like an idiot - raising a dominant male can be a hair-tearing out time But he's not a monster, ok? I'll PM you - be on the look-out .

Becs
candie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:45 PM
hiya
Having recently had 2 staffy pups with only 3 months between t em i can relate to you .You do however need to let them know whos boss by the tone of your voice, routine and careful training.Please dont ever hit him with a newspaper or anything else.
Have you tried time out when he gets too boisterous?out of my two, candy gets very very hyper , and has mad fits at night where she jumps on me and mouths my hands so i'll play with her!!is this what otis is doing rather than biting you??!!
PLease read the pms becs sent you she is a star!!
otis
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-08-2005, 08:51 PM
thanks candie

I promise i would never hit otis, not even tap him. Someone told me to do that thing with the newspaper so they know who is the boss. Don't thhink i will try that again!!

I try and tell him who is boss with the tone of my voice but it just don't work. I do make him have time outs, when i can get him to go in the hall without him biting me!!However, if my other half tells him off, he knows he has to calm down!!
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Originally Posted by otis
Graeme - never had a dog before. otis is my first.
OK, In my opinion Staffs are a bit different to other breeds when it comes to people. However, as Becs says it's mostly dominance. You need to show him who's boss because currently it seems he thinks he is above you in rank. Don't however do this through agressive tactics like raising a newspaper. If he doesn't think you'll go through with it he'll simply try to stamp his authority on you again.

Tone of voice as Sal said is very important. If you listen to a dog that's angry it uses a very low pitched growl/bark. So you need to mimic this with your voice. Be firm, deep and show no sign of giving in. Aileen is just getting the hang of this with Saffy and is amazed at how Saffy now listens to her. Also, get a good, firm and consistant NO!

It may take a while to get it right but get it now and you should be OK.

Graeme
Archaeopath
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-08-2005, 09:00 PM
Ok it's not just about tone, though that's important. It's how you behave around him - how much he's allowed to get away with, how many 'privileges' he gets, and I believe in pack theory, so that's important as far as I'm concerned.

If you can't move him to time-out without him biting, try having him on a tracking lead around the house - then you don't need to hold his collar or pick him up when you want to move him.

If he demands attention, for play, for fuss, ignore him - you decide when these things happen, not him.

For some bolshy puppies, no amount of shouting works. If time-out doesn't work, try squirting with water (keep the squirter hidden so he doesn't associate it with you), or shake a can of pebbles or pennies.