View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 01:36 PM

Are breeders in it soleley for the money ?

I read earlier about the Mal who needs a new home and the breeder would'nt take him back, I did'nt want to hijack the thread so I've started this one.

I was a member of Scottish Rotts but I no longer wish to be associated with them.
At the last AGM a year ago a committee member stated that once a puppy was sold this person wished not to take it back.

The reason this person gave was that once a puppy is sold and the new owners have had it for a few months or even a year and they've lost control of it, the breeder does'nt want a nutter of a dog coming back and upsetting the rest of the dogs the breeder has kennelled.

Most of the members at the meeting agreed with this statement, and most of them are breeders.

I have broken all contact with the Club since then as I cannot stand hypocrites, if all breeders of all breeds had this attitude the rescue centres would be overwhelmed with unwanted dogs.

Such a sad day for the Rottie world IMO.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 01:40 PM
lol how do you feel about your own breeder....

I am more than happy to take any dogs I breed back, Im more than happy to do my bit for rescue also, I have offered use of my kennels should they need emergency temp accomidation for a dog.
moetmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 01:44 PM
If breeders are not going to take responsibility for the dogs they produce they shouldn't be allowed to breed, after all the dogs wouldn't be in that position if they hadn't been bred and placed in that particular home in the first place.

I couldn't imagine members of our clubs being that irresponsible.
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-02-2009, 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

I am more than happy to take any dogs I breed back, Im more than happy to do my bit for rescue also, I have offered use of my kennels should they need emergency temp accomidation for a dog.
I know where you stand on this subject Shona, I've read your posts on the Rottie up north and your attempts at buying him back.

In now way am I tarring all breeders with the same brush but there's a few out there as you all know with this attitude of going,..going,.. gone.
Tassle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I think some are....

I knew Sirens breeder before I get her. She has always been willing to take dogs back.

Sirens brother went back to her at 8 months due to a marriage break up....she has homed him on to some people who had seen his sister and were very impressed.

I don't think I would touch a breeder who wasn't willing to give that kind of back up should (god forbid) I need it.
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I love rotties, if I can help a rottie in need, be it my own breeding or someone elses, then I will.
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I agree, if you aren't prepared to take back anything you've bred then don't breed in the first place.

I know my circumstances have changed vastly since I bred my two litters but everyone knows that although I couldn't take them back here at the moment, I would still collect them and take them to an alternative home that I would find, even if it was just a temporary foster home until I had secured the right permanent home for them.

We never know whats around the corner but to breed in the knowledge that you won't take something back is very bad practice imo.
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 01:57 PM
Some are..

I wish I knew who the breeder of this mal was so I could give you definitive answer!!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Obviously I have not had a dog directly from a breeder, but my thoughts (if I did) would be that I could rely on that breeder, not just to have the dog back, (hopefully that would never be a case with us) but also for help if I had problems.

I can see what Nero is saying, my sister had a dobbiex years back (accidental mating) but never-the-less the breeder (albeit was accidental) was wonderful and when that dog died, she sent my sister a sympathy card etc.,

Now she has a Westie, and the breeders boast of over twenty years exprience, of all the Westie Clubs that they are part of, boast of thier reputation etc., when Ellie first started with her skin allergies, my sister rang the breeder for advice, they were so rude to her, she came off the phone in tears. Then when my BIL rang them they replied.....''well have it PTS and we'll sort you another out, but are not making any promises that it will not have the same issues with it's skin''

Luckily for Ellie, my sister and BIL love her to bits and although she has been rather expensive, they have no regrets

But I think it depends on the breeder and thier conscience
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally Posted by Shona View Post

OOOh can I add you to the fosterers list for Bullies in Need then Shona, it'd be a great help ?
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 > Last »