Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amymichele913
New Member!
Female 

10-09-2016, 01:16 AM

Puppy fights

Me and my roommate both got our puppies on the same day 7 months ago. My roommates is an aussie lab mix and mine a boxer pit mix. They are 2 months a part and currently 8 and 10 months old. When we first got the puppies we would always feed them together with no problem. But in the last few months every time one is eating around the other they try to rip each others heads off. It takes a lot of work to get them apart. But now it is getting worse, they fought last night over a bone and again just now over nothing. I don't know what to do since usually they are best friends and spend the whole day playing. Any advice?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

10-09-2016, 07:12 AM
Feed them separately. Make sure high value treats like bones are given in different rooms if possible.
Are they both the same sex ?
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2016, 07:26 AM
Tbh anyone with an ounce of experience could have told you what would happen in this situation. They are resource guarding and it's best stopped before it starts. You could do as Lynn says, it solves the problem but teaches them nothing and most likely they will start fighting over other things after a while. What I would do involves some effort from both owners and will not be a quick solution but they will learn not to resource guard. I would put some space between them, stand in the space, make them sit before putting their bowls down, no sit no food. If they even look at the other dog or their food, tell them sternly to leave it. Stay there until they finish and then praise them, pick the bowls up and do it every day for months. It's hard work but it works and teaches them they are not making the decisions, you are. If they are fighting over bones make them stay in their bed with their bone and do not allow them to move from their bed, if they move pick the bone up. They will learn.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-09-2016, 10:02 AM
Good advice Trouble, but I do agree with Lynn that with bones separation is the best way - at least to start with. They are such a valuable resource to dogs that to be on the safe side, I would separate them for at least a few weeks.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-09-2016, 12:44 PM
Yeah it's either separate or watch like a hawk, I prefer to watch like a hawk tbh and they eventually learn they get a bone each and they have no right to swipe anyone else's.