Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:28 AM

So Proud

We spent the weekend with my brother's friends who have 2 girls, 7 & 5 years old.

Before we got there my brother explained that both were terrified of dogs. Sure enough when we met them, their Mum said it was so bad that the girls would pull her into the road rather than have to share a pavement with a dog.

Well.. they met Hoki & Kip on Friday night and by the time we left on Sunday evening the girls had:-
  • taken the dogs for a walk on lead (only in controlled areas) and played fetch with them off lead
  • fed the dogs biscuits/treats by hand
  • learnt how to give basic commands such as sit and down
  • entered 3 classes each in the companion dog show (one
    child with Kip, the other with Hoki)
  • gained so much confidence with Kip & Hoki that they asked to stroke just about every other dog they met at the companion show.

I am just so proud that my two dogs, neither of which have had much experience of children previously, have made such a positive impact on these 2 wee girls.
rachelsetters
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:35 AM
Well done to Kip and Hoki - that is wonderful - its so sad when children are terrified of dogs like that. But you must be really pleased that your two have set the record straight

Well done to you and your dogs (esp. as your dogs aren't used to children!)
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:42 AM
Well done, they must have felt awful being that frightened that they'd gointo the road to avoid a dog. You and your hairies have just improved the lives of 2 little girls.
Becky
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by rachelsetters View Post
Well done to Kip and Hoki - that is wonderful - its so sad when children are terrified of dogs like that.
Thanks Rachel

Its funny, but I always thought it was the parent's fault if a child was terrified of dogs, but meeting this family I've realised that this isn't always the case. The parents were doing everything they could to try to stop the fear, but without knowing people with suitable dogs, they hadn't made any progress.

Made me think there is an argument for a type of PAT dog in schools, though I guess the education departments wouldn't consider it necessary.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:36 AM
That's excellent, I'm not surprised you are so proud of Kip and Loki, well done to them especially as you say they are not really used to kiddies
Nicky1979
Almost a Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:41 AM
:smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Yay well done Kip & Hoki - doggie ambassadors (sp).
It's lovely to hear such a positive story - you must be a very proud parent & deservedly so!!!!
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:46 AM
Aww how lovely that your two have changed those kiddies lives, probably forever, they will no longer be terrified of dogs. I personally think Kip and Hoki deserve a medal
hayleybella
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 10:51 AM
thats a great acheivement for kip and hoki! and for the 2 girls nice to hear such a positive story
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 11:03 AM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
Well done, they must have felt awful being that frightened that they'd gointo the road to avoid a dog. You and your hairies have just improved the lives of 2 little girls.
Becky
Originally Posted by Toby View Post
That's excellent, I'm not surprised you are so proud of Kip and Loki, well done to them especially as you say they are not really used to kiddies
Originally Posted by Nicky1979 View Post
:smt041 :smt041 :smt041
Yay well done Kip & Hoki - doggie ambassadors (sp).
It's lovely to hear such a positive story - you must be a very proud parent & deservedly so!!!!
Originally Posted by scorpio View Post
Aww how lovely that your two have changed those kiddies lives, probably forever, they will no longer be terrified of dogs. I personally think Kip and Hoki deserve a medal
Originally Posted by hayleybella View Post
thats a great acheivement for kip and hoki! and for the 2 girls nice to hear such a positive story

Thanks guys, I don't think I have ever been so proud of them. I couldn't help telling all the owners of the dogs the girls then wanted to pet (there isn't a smilie for 'big head' is there???)

The only trouble is, the girls now love dogs so much that they are asking their parents if they can have one...unfortunately although both parents like dogs (and have owned them previously) they don't feel in a position to own one at the moment
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-08-2007, 11:13 AM
That is excellent. It always amazes me how many kids are scared of dogs having had no bad experiences at all.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >