Our sister sites
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by bullyboy View Post
all i am trying to say that you cant go through life without some stress,
i would love to here what anti cm people would have done with the herding dog
Theres positive pressure & negative stress. i ask alot of my dogs to improve preformance, but any stress will cause them to go back.

If i had taken on a dog with issues that the ACD had (i like Colliemad would have STOPPED that behavoiur early on with our own dogs)

Firstly i would spend WEEKS building up a relationship with the dog, & monitor the dog so nipping could not happen. In order to break the habit & habituation behaviour & i wouldnt want the dog to think that it could ever do that with me. All this time id be kindly teaching a instant down, & also food & toy refusal eg "leave it",
id themn when i was happy with my training bond & control, test the dog in a very mild way (ie so it COULD succeed)whilst i was around with a Dummy person, that person would have treats or a toy to reward the dog, id gradually up the anti, supervising & taking a step back if i needed to. Id mainley have used 5 things

A new bond with the dog
A break in the dogs Habituation
A instant down ,to improve my control at a distance over the dog,
A leave it command that the dog understood
& reward for correct behavoiur

IF the dog liked balls i MIGHT use a tennis racket to hit the balls across the field as reward!!!!!
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by mishflynn View Post
As im completly fed up with this & feeling that i am going to rip into Sarah at any moment & get banned.

Id like to hear from Pro CMers

1.what problems with your dogs have you had & what CM technique did you use

2. can someone video their dog having some CM style Training, maybe doing some stopp pulling, stop barking etc

3.anything else you can tell/show me to show how these methods could be used.
Mish as you know I am a perfect owner with perfect dogs and therefore they have very few issues.
but Syd my male Dobie likes to bark at animals on the tv. agravated by the fact that it is a large 422 tv and hung fairly high on the wall, so the animals are always higher than him. I tried everything to get him to stop with little success, so eventually I submitted him to what a lot of anti cm'rs would call flooding. We sat and watched endless episodes of the dog whisperer, dog borstal and it's me or the dog. During this time I told him quiet and made him sit, he expressed his displeasure loudly, so he was told to lie down and again he was barking and when told to stop he grumbled loudly and was tense. So I told him to submit, something I have trained previously, he lies on his side and relaxes, if he raises his head I use one finger and push his head back down telling him submit after a couple of attempts at grumbling he lies down head on floor and falls asleep.
No trauma, to him, me or the OH who is trying to sleep. Now when I want to watch a dog program or a wild life program I tell him to lie down and submit and peace reigns supreme.
Can't video as I can never work out how to load the thing after I've filmed it.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:24 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
Hey Ben McFuzzy, isn't it great to have a debate where we can all give our opinions and not be reduced to playground tactics (unlike in some other places you and I know about ).

I agree, we'll never see eye to eye on this, but hey ho, it doesn't matter. What's important is we all want what is best for our dogs. Whichever training method we choose, as long as our dogs are happy and healthy it doesn't matter in the end.

LH I don't believe CM is a bully and I never will believe that. The way I see it, he didn't cause the situation. The owners caused it by not addressing the issue soon enough. How else would he have corrected the dog's behaviour indoors without actually putting it in the situation? Would you be happy leaving a dog outside for the rest of it's life? I know I wouldn't.

So true - 58 pages and not really got that nasty at all
and I know your boy is much loved and you do the best for him as I do with mine - no matter if we disagree on this one point

and yes in all these cases the owners have caused the problem - I would have fixed it differently but hey ho - if we were all the same then everyone would want my squaw
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:33 PM
What CM achieved was to get Jonbee to submit - whether he was relaxed or not is down to the observer's opinion.
Why should the dog have to be forced to submit ? Surely better to gain dogs trust so that he is happy and willing to lay down on cue ?

Yes it was thrashing about and it looked awful, but it was Jonbee who was doing the thrashing. Cesar wasn't ragging the dog about.
Sorry but that`s the same sort of excuse used by pro-choker users, that the dog is hurting themselves - no, the dog is trying to defend, to escape, from completely unnecessary situations which the dog has been forced into with no regard to the dogs ability to cope with that situation

My ex `red zoner` on the other hand, will happily lay down and offer me his tum for tickling, its a game, its pleasant and relaxing for him, he has`nt been stressed or forced into `complying.
I would rather a dog lay down willingly and with confidence that it is not going to lead to anything fearsome for the dog than to have to be forced down and scared about it.
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 05:36 PM
Theres positive pressure & negative stress. i ask alot of my dogs to improve preformance, but any stress will cause them to go back.

If i had taken on a dog with issues that the ACD had (i like Colliemad would have STOPPED that behavoiur early on with our own dogs)

Firstly i would spend WEEKS building up a relationship with the dog, & monitor the dog so nipping could not happen. In order to break the habit & habituation behaviour & i wouldnt want the dog to think that it could ever do that with me. All this time id be kindly teaching a instant down, & also food & toy refusal eg "leave it",
id themn when i was happy with my training bond & control, test the dog in a very mild way (ie so it COULD succeed)whilst i was around with a Dummy person, that person would have treats or a toy to reward the dog, id gradually up the anti, supervising & taking a step back if i needed to. Id mainley have used 5 things

A new bond with the dog
A break in the dogs Habituation
A instant down ,to improve my control at a distance over the dog,
A leave it command that the dog understood
& reward for correct behavoiur

IF the dog liked balls i MIGHT use a tennis racket to hit the balls across the field as reward!!!!!
i have no dout that would work but it would be too expencive to get someone in for that amount of time
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:41 PM
Originally Posted by bullyboy View Post
as people think cm should not handle dogs should agility be banned until a non stressful way can be found for all schools that teach it
How is agility stressful?? if it is then you are going to the wrong schools
My boy has loved it from day one, never has he been stressed
Tunnels were started squished up as hoops and all the dogs in the class were running them fully out in a couple of goes loving every min
infact most dogs love the tunnel so much that its hard to get them to stop doing it
the contact obsticles were started on the floor and in no way were the dogs stressed - again Ben loves to be up high showing off

we also have a v shy dog doing agility and it has been so good for her
she shied away from all people and was scared of dogs (excpt ben)but now she wonders up to people and is so relaxed - and she can stand on the dogwalk for hours getting the admiring glances cos she knows she is stunning

Ben can be unsure in some situations (the other day I felt the lead go tight and looked back to a dog feet planted scared to go on the pink textured blind pavement at the pedestrian crossing, I just laughed, dropped the lead and walked on, he plucked up courage, put a paw on it, saw it was OK and then ran over to me wagging his tail happily - proud that he had figured out the scary thing. now that didnt even really happen to Ben at agility but that is about the extent ofthe stress I see at agility - apprehention at a strange new surface and joy when they have figured out it is fun

I only do agility cos my boy loved the bits we did at training class
if in any way he had disliked it then I would not have done it
if he ever dislikes it I will stop

It has made him so much more confident - last week he actually followed my b/f and climbed a tree!!

It has made my friends mad OTT collie pup (who they had tried to domonate) calm a bit, bond with them and be more attentive to commands

What on earth have you seen in agility training that makes it any way akin to winding a dog up till it attacks and then choking it??
bullyboy
Dogsey Junior
Male 

18-04-2008, 05:43 PM
never said agility makes a dog attack just said it could stress some dogs while they are learning to do it
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:46 PM
As im completly fed up with this & feeling that i am going to rip into Sarah at any moment & get banned.
Gosh, I'm quite shocked by this. I was led to believe that Dogsey was a friendly place to be.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post

One point I forgot to mention on that clip
at the start cesar mentions the dog is weary and fearful and says you often see fear in an agressive dog

to me that means that most of the dogs he are dealing with are fear agressive rather than actually agressive
with a dog who is agressive becuase it is scared forcing it to be more and more scared is nasty

to turn it around - if you had a child who was scared of something would you try and address the fear (in one of many ways) or would you just punnish them for being afraid until the child is more scared of showing you its fear than it is of the scary thing itself
in a dog what you end up with is going from one who lets you know when it is uncomfy with a situation and only turning on you if you push it too far to one terrified to warn you that it is unhappy, letting it build up and build up till it snaps with no warning
Then the end result there is a hair trigger dog that is most likely to be PTS for its agression
Precisely, yes.
That`s why my ex-biters have not been rehabbed with force or by adding to their fears, instead they have been given confidence and the ability to cope in situations which previously caused them sheer terror. To punish a dog for being afraid is horrendous cruelty imo but that`s exactly what CM does to them

Also at no time does he ever mention the possibility of a physical / medical cause for a problem.
Jonbee for instance, did the dog ever get seen by a chiropractor to see if he had a previous spinal injury which was causing him to be so reactive at his back being touched with force to try to make him lay down ?
Nope.
Was there any mention of a blood panel to see if he had a thyroid imbalance ? [ a very common cause of aggression in dogs ].
Nope.
Can`t remember who posted it now but a dog which had suffered at his hands did subsequently turn out to have been very unwell or had a bad injury, I can`t remember the exact details now - but health is something CM seems to completely disregard as a possible cause of problems in dogs, I don`t think it occurs to him, let alone to say on his programs that any excessive behaviours should have any medical cause investigated and ruled out first, nor does he consider foods as a factor but anyone who has worked with `problem` dogs will attest that health and feeding are vitally important considerations before proceeding to attempting any behaviour modification regardless of method.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-04-2008, 05:47 PM
Gosh, I'm quite shocked by this. I was led to believe that Dogsey was a friendly place to be.
Well you arent being very friendly are you? What do you want a hug?
Page 60 of 102 « First < 10 50 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 70 > Last »