Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-01-2014, 07:24 PM

Problem solved - temporarily - maybe

I have been having problems with Pereg and the major munchies lately [see She cannot be hungry. I accept that it is not really her fault but is a part of her epilepsy but she has been driving me crazy demanding food, food and more food even when she is not post-ictal following a seizure and somehow I have to break her of this as she has gained weight after 18 months fighting to get it down from when she first started on meds.

She is not just selectively deaf but the word "No" is meaningless to her at such times and nothing stops the barking, pacing, nagging, climbing up the side of my chair and grabbing my arm except giving her more food. I know she is not hungry and it is the crossed wires in her brain that make her think she is, but I just cannot go on like this, with one day OK and then days of the gimmee gimmees. Especially as her claws have now dug gouges out of the side of the hard rubber moulded left arm of my chair.

So I closed the door. Unclipped her tether. Put something heavy on the kitchen bin so she could not raid it - put a "gate" across the doorway of my bedroom [no interior doors] so she could not get in there to cause havoc, ignored her completely...

...and for the last four hours she has forgotten about food and is flonked on my recliner. Possibly sulking but at least I have had a few hours peace and she has not even bothered to get up and follow me into the loo!

Yet...
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 09:33 PM
Good work Malka, I hope this continues to work for you. If not... I know that you have tried everything, but maybe something food-ish instead of actual food might do the trick?

This is what I am doing with Nigredo. He will go to his bowl and whine/cry because he expects more food. Except that he can't have any because he is going to be a chubcakes if he keeps eating like a piggy.

He gets a bone/durable toy to try and keep him from begging. This usually works, but if it doesn't... he is merely ignored just like you're doing. There isn't a point in telling him "no" as he will not listen.

In the end, all that matters is that under no circumstances is he to have more food. Which I have been able to do so far!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Myra - when Pereg has the gimmee gimmee munchies, the only thing that will stop her is yet another frozen chicken wing, and then yet another half a frozen chicken back, and then another frozen half a turkey neck, believe me I have tried everything...

... but it is now 11.40pm and she is still on the recliner and has not asked for any more food which is A Good Thing as she has had her final medication for the day and we will be going to bed as and when I feel like it!

OK so it worked today. Might not tomorrow, but I really do not want the arm of my chair gouged out by her claws as although it is replaceable it would no doubt cost a fortune.

She has even let me go to the bathroom for a pee without following me!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 10:00 PM
I'm glad it seems to have helped Malka... I know how stressful it can get sometimes. Have to be made of tough stuff to keep from shoving her off of your chair arm and shouting obscenities in the process

Our cats have damaged so much furniture. Cat trees, scratch posts, none of it is useful and it's painful to see your expensive furniture torn to shreds by little 10-15 lb pointy-eared things.

It is of no consequence as they could destroy the entire house and we'd still keep and love them. Nigredo has destroyed lots of things as well, I hardly even got mad TBH.

Try and get some rest tonight, you will probably need it!
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

12-01-2014, 10:05 PM
Myra, I am talking about an $11,500 electric wheelchair, a new arm of which would be rather expensive.

And I just do not want to go to bed while Pereg is quiet because at least I can now spend some time on the computer without her driving me totally doolally.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-01-2014, 10:10 PM
My word! That does sound very costly to go trying to replace!! Let's hope you don't end up having to replace that arm, would be a nice chunk of pocket change!

I understand about the quiet thing, too. High time you go to bed... she will wake up again though!

(okay admittedly, that was mean)