Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Michact
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2011, 11:31 PM

New member with dog growling

Hi all. I have a 6 year old Lab/Golden mix whose temperment is extremely laid back. He rarely barks,loves to be around people, and shows no agressive traits other than the problem that led me to join this forum. We recently ( 2 weeks) moved back in with my mother who, despite that she loves, interacts, and feeds the dog, he has started growling at her whenever she passes my bedroom. Granted, that is the only way to get downstairs and most of the time she does not speak or make eye contact with him. It has gotten so bad that she is afraid of coming out of her room! He has never done this in the past, and often growls while wagging his tail at the same time. Is he hopeless, or can anyone advise?????
Milk maid
Almost a Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 06:59 AM
Hi,

Is the door open or shut? can he see who it is?
SLB
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 07:09 AM
Perhaps a baby gate at the bottom of the stairs - if he is trying to control who goes where in HER house, then stop him from going into these places where he is trying to control.

If my dogs ever growled at one of the others coming on my bed - they would be sent off - I don't allow it, MY bed, MY rules. The same should be applied to your Mum's house, the dog should respect the rules. He may not understand that it is her house but he shouldn't try and control anything in the house that doesn't really concern him.

If that makes sense..

I'm trying to put it without making it sound like he's dominating you (dogs don't dominate humans) but I can't, but as he is your dog - you have to control his actions. If the problem area is upstairs - you stop him going there, so it never escalates to more than a growl because he hasn't the chance to let it. But if you start this - you have to commit to it..you can't keep him downstairs then let him up the odd couple of times - it fuzzes the message you're sending and you could end up with a very mixed up dog with an even worse problem.

Hope this helps.
Kerriebaby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2011, 07:28 AM
Has he had a vet check recently? May be worth it just to rule out a medical problem.

I would suggest getting a good behaviorist in, and in the mean time keeping the dog downstairs (or bedroom door shut at the very least)