Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TiMop&Angel
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2011, 12:25 AM

Aggression Holistic products suggestion

Hi
A dog I walk is jealous of the family's other dog and acts especially aggressive over food. She has bit the other one over this. and she is fearful of men on the street (just shies away). But they can't trust her in the dog run. Otherwise, she's sweet. Can anyone suggest a product that will help?
Petalive Aggression Formula and CalmDown have been suggested to me. But I can't find enough reviews on either of them to know if they are good. Or maybe there is something else? Also I don't want he sedated and knocked out.
Please give me any suggestions you might have.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by TiMop&Angel View Post
Hi
A dog I walk is jealous of the family's other dog and acts especially aggressive over food. She has bit the other one over this. and she is fearful of men on the street (just shies away). But they can't trust her in the dog run. Otherwise, she's sweet. Can anyone suggest a product that will help?
Petalive Aggression Formula and CalmDown have been suggested to me. But I can't find enough reviews on either of them to know if they are good. Or maybe there is something else? Also I don't want he sedated and knocked out.
Please give me any suggestions you might have.
It is normal for dogs to resource guard, they do not do sharing so rather than trying to "cure" it I would concentrate on environmental management, ie feeding them apart, not leaving bones etc around for dogs to fight over. This is not a sign of an "aggressive" dog just a normal one.

As for fears over men, well if all she does is shy away from them, there really is no problem is there?

You will not be able to change her conditioned emotional response (CER) by supplements alone, for that you will need to use behavioural modification; it is true that some help may be suitable in order to put a dog in a "position to learn" but supplements alone will not change anything.

I am not really sure I understand about the dog run issue?
TiMop&Angel
New Member!
Female 

15-05-2011, 06:35 AM
Thanks so much for your help.
My clients are doing those things. But due to the situation, they are both in crates in separate rooms or let out in the apartment, one at a time. And they can't walk together. I am working on the training so that they can walk together but I assumed a supplement might help as my clients are fearful of doing this, despite my working with them and the dogs. And they claim that the one that has issues (who was there first and had been abandoned and perhaps abused) is too unpredictable to be trusted loose at the dog run. So she only gets walked.She needs more exercise than that and socializing. So I thought that a calming supplement would also help. I never meant for a supplement to be used instead of environmental changes and training. I myself had 2 dogs who had a food issue. And I fed them separately. But they played together all day and slept together with themselves, their kitty and me. But with these dogs, it's not the case.
So if you do know of any supplement that is helpful, please do let me know. thanks
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 06:53 AM
Originally Posted by TiMop&Angel View Post
Thanks so much for your help.
My clients are doing those things. But due to the situation, they are both in crates in separate rooms or let out in the apartment, one at a time. And they can't walk together. I am working on the training so that they can walk together but I assumed a supplement might help as my clients are fearful of doing this, despite my working with them and the dogs. And they claim that the one that has issues (who was there first and had been abandoned and perhaps abused) is too unpredictable to be trusted loose at the dog run. So she only gets walked.She needs more exercise than that and socializing. So I thought that a calming supplement would also help. I never meant for a supplement to be used instead of environmental changes and training. I myself had 2 dogs who had a food issue. And I fed them separately. But they played together all day and slept together with themselves, their kitty and me. But with these dogs, it's not the case.
So if you do know of any supplement that is helpful, please do let me know. thanks
Are these two bitches? Are either or both fixed? Can the dog who is unpredictable not be run in a muzzle? What about running next to owner or being biked? What about tracking? How long has the second dog been in the house?

HAve both dogs been checked by a vet to rule out any underlying medical conditions?

I have looked up the first supplement and it is a mixture of homeopathic and herbal elements designed to calm a dog, I have not seen this mixture before, I generally use either herbal or homoepathic. However the use of it certainly cannot hurt.

If the Calmdown formula is the one by CSJ this is a herbal mixture again designed to calm dog down.

There are other possible avenues to explore, diet, dietary manipulation eg adding tryptophan, or magnesium.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 07:40 AM
The cure is training, I`m afraid. There is no medicine on earth that can undo years of poor management. It takes a committed handler and a long long period of patient re-shaping.
It is possible that supplements or herbs can help. But they won`t alter the dog`s learned behaviour. He has to unlearn that, which takes time and effort. While he is crated and isolated he is not learning. I feel the situation is not one that will address this dogs` needs.
Stormpants
Dogsey Senior
Female 

15-05-2011, 09:16 AM
I agree with the other posters that your dogs need more than just supplements. But I think that supplements could definitely help too, alongside the training. Have you thought about Bach Flower Remedies? I have heard people have had positive results on animals with these and I know some people will say it's just a placebo effect, but animals do not understand what they are being given and so the placebo effect wouldn't really work on them as it would with humans!

http://www.doggiesparadise.com/bach.shtml
http://www.bachflower.com/Pets.htm
zoe1969
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-05-2011, 10:24 AM
I agree..the cure is training. My greyhound Guinness had major food guarding issues and we were warned by the rescue not to feed him with my other 4 dogs. I decided to train this out of him rather than feed him separately and it worked very quickly. He soon learned that he was going to get food if he waited. I started by feeding him first followed by the others in quick succession so he was bust eating whilst they were getting fed. Now I can feed him last and he doesn't try to grab the others' food.
Whilst they're at home can they not muzzle him? Surely it's better than crating all the time? That way the dog with issues can have contact with the other dog and learn to accept without the fear of a fight breaking out? Just a thought.
I muzzled Jenny when we introduced her to my mate's greyhound as she's fear aggressive and this allowed her to get near him, sniff his butt etc without the fear of her biting him. It worked and now she adores him and doesn't need to be muzzled around him.