View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Tass
Almost a Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:59 AM
Be carefully you smooth off any edges if you remove some of a Baskerville Muzzle, you don't want anyone getting a scratched hand from the muzzle!
The instructions for soft muzzles say they should be fitted so you can get a finger between the muzzle and the dog's mouth but I have known a number of instances where dogs have still bitten and broken skin with these by biting with the incisors through the front of the muzzle, and as has been said, they are unsuited to situations where the dog may need to pant.

You say he likes to lean into people for a cuddle. How about asking them to ignore him, to encourage this behaviour, which allows him to control the approach as he feels comfortable, not be pushed into anything, then start with you treating him while they pet him, before moving on to them treating him directly?
Aside from anything else it gives you, and your dog, a chance to decide if these particular strangers are suitable to take the interaction further.
Some people just cannot follow instructions consistently and be calm, or non interactive, or avoid direct talking and eye contact with dogs, all of which can be overwhelming to some dogs.
Remember that on a dog walk the other dogs, and other people can provide distraction, including to the other owners, and so result in them being less focused on your dog, and so less challenging.

Many dogs react differently to single individuals, human or canine, to how they react to groups, for all sorts of reasons.
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 09:43 AM
I would never use one.
For one thing the dog can overheat (can`t pant)
Secondly the dog can still nip. I magine a child`s fingers....
No, stick to the safe ones.
BTW I find you can poke Gravy Bones in through a Baskerville.

BTW I would not be happy with strangers treating my dog. Apart from the worry about him being dognapped - he might well start pinching food from passing strangers. Imagine explaining that one.
What I do want is for my dog to not react. So try standing chatting to strangers with your dog in a sit and you reward him?
TomtheLurcher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 10:17 AM
Originally Posted by Moon's Mum View Post
Awwww is that Bella? She's so pretty What sort of toys can Tom pick up? I wish I could find a way to muzzle Cain and play with his squeaky ball (he doesn't respond as well to food outside, much prefers his ball) but they are incompatible! I'd like to try and find a toy I could use with a muzzle.

The greyhound muzzles look interesting, nice light and spacey. Cain isn't likely to launch into a savage attack on anyone but it's handy to use sometimes "just in case" he might snap or something. If I could find a muzzle I could feed and use toys with, he could probably get a bit morefreedom. He's a good dog really, it's just for my peace of mind really as he is a tad unpredicatable on occassion - but mostly a good boy
Thank you , she is pretty hound !The greyhound muzzles dont seem to trouble them too much , Tom can play with rope type toys but not his ball and boy does he love his ball ! Treats can be a bit fiddly at first but its easy enough when you and they get used to it , Bella is better at getting treats with the muzzle than Tom but maybe because she has probably always worn a muzzle and his was introduced later, hope you get sorted out
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:09 AM
I'm happy to cut holes in his muzzle if it works well, just his mouth seems quote far from the end. Maybe he'll have to learn to lick them up
I feed treats through the gaps at the side of the Baskerville, much easier to get them to the dogs mouth from there.

I keep looking at the greyhound ones but I'm not sure what size to get and measuring him is a nightmare as he thinks it's a game
krlyr
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:10 AM
Originally Posted by sarah1983 View Post
I feed treats through the gaps at the side of the Baskerville, much easier to get them to the dogs mouth from there.

I keep looking at the greyhound ones but I'm not sure what size to get and measuring him is a nightmare as he thinks it's a game
If the Baskerville is a good fit could you use the measurements from that?
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:24 AM

where i get mine from its 'one size fits all' on the 'walking out' greyhound muzzles.
Sara
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 11:59 AM
I use a basket muzzle for Oliver, it's metal and leather. I do find it easy to give Ollie treats when he's wearing it, I think the metal rungs are further apart than the Baskerville Muzzle (I had to google it, as I didn't know what it was) I would never use a soft muzzle on Oliver, for above mentioned reasons. I would think the dog would be less anxious when able to open his mouth.... Just my opinion, I dunno if it's true, as I've never tested it with Oliver.
smokeybear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:25 PM
I agree with Dyane I would not do it.

I don't mind strangers feeding my dog when I request it (it won't make dogs more likely to be nicked, if they are friendly they are friendly and if you have dogs under control how can they steal food?).

However I do have serious concerns because you have failed to consider (at least on this thread) what would happen if someone WAS bitten by your dog!

Dogs can actually nip someone very hard with their incisors, so what will be your contingency plan then?

What if the person presses charges?

I think you should reconsider your (insufficient) planned strategy and if you were to follow this line of thought, use experienced trainers/dog handlers and make sure you start with people only, take dogs out of the equation.

You want as few variables as possible in order to adequately monitor his behaviour.
sarah1983
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
If the Baskerville is a good fit could you use the measurements from that?
I'm not really sure how good a fit it is to be honest. I made sure he could open his mouth enough to pant but when I look at greyhounds in muzzles they have a lot more room to open their mouth.

where i get mine from its 'one size fits all' on the 'walking out' greyhound muzzles.
I'll have to see whether I can find some of them.
Tupacs2legs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-02-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm not really sure how good a fit it is to be honest. I made sure he could open his mouth enough to pant but when I look at greyhounds in muzzles they have a lot more room to open their mouth.

I'll have to see whether I can find some of them.
http://www.jansgifts.co.uk/list.php?type_id=113
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >