View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
daveydw
New Member!

13-04-2008, 06:39 PM

Staffys Fighting Help

hi i desperately need some help/advice i have 2 staffys 1 male castrated 4 years old and one female 3 years old they have been ok together upon till 1 year ago they had a fight a result of jealousy i think and they had a fight 2 days ago which resulted in vet treatment again when i was playing with them both and the bitch who is the alpha attacked my male can any one give ,me advice of any kind to help my situation as i dont want to have to rehome one of them
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 06:44 PM
oh hun you must be upset, i am not sure what the answer is, is the female spayed or not. it might be that she is due in season and her hormons are all over the shot.

maybe when its play time do them 1 at a time start with the female have a good play then put her away to rest and play with your male doglet.

it is always hard when they fight but as you say you think its jealasy. it might be she is over protective of you. it pay to get the vet to do a health check as well just in cse there is some thing going on that you can;t see but at least you will now.

i am sure there more people that will help you hun good luck.
Sal
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Difficult one,
Sorry to hear of this but I'm sure as your aware now the least little thing can trigger a fight.
Is she the dominant one?

The only thing I can suggest is to keep a close eye on them and watch for the warning signs,if there is any chance of your bitch starting,seperate them.

Keep them seperated at all times when you are not there,staffords can do an incredable amount of damage in a short amount of time and two staffords fighting without any intervention could result in two very badly injured dogs or one or possibly two dead dogs.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 07:15 PM
oh no sounds like a case for shona
daveydw
New Member!

13-04-2008, 07:32 PM
yes the female is the dominant one and know shes not speyed they are kept in a dog run and kennel together during the day and are fine grooming each other and cuddling up theres only ever a problem when iam there or the wife
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2008, 08:07 AM
Originally Posted by daveydw View Post
yes the female is the dominant one and know shes not speyed they are kept in a dog run and kennel together during the day and are fine grooming each other and cuddling up theres only ever a problem when iam there or the wife

In which case, the problem may be related to you or your wife as a resource, it may not be rank related at all.

I'd suggest getting a reputable behaviourist on board who can suggest a plan to modify the behaviour fast before it becomes too bad, hopefully there is still time

Meanwhile, use management techniques to control the situation, ie childgates, whatever is best in your environment - and hold off any thing which could initiate a problem. Don't set up a situation where the behaviour can be practised, and avoid punishment.

Try www.apbc.org.uk for advice