View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:41 AM
Hello, this story is so lovely, Lucky is certainly what his name says!

I have no experience of pups but regarding the crying at night, my dog Joe was 1year old when I got him and he suffered seperation anxiety and cried and cried at night. I was advised on another forum to put a piece of mine or bf's clothing that smells of us, on his bed with him and also a ticking clock wrapped in cloth. The ticking apparently mimicks mum's heartbeat and settles the pup.

I used the clothing idea and it did help. I didn't use the clock as I thought Joe may eat it! LOL! He got stressed and ate things. Thankfully that's all stopped now and he's as happy as larry in his dog hotel (crate)
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:50 AM
Hi lianne1983,I have got a t shirt in with him,made sure I was a bit hot before mopping myself up.He's slept with that since day 1.Had to keep washing it at first so got 2 going.My daughter even left a t shirt for him when she was here last week(just so he didn't forget her). I do wonder if it's just he's way to young to expect him to settle.I think a clock might not be such a good idea,he chews really hard,I know!
lianne1983
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-08-2010, 08:55 AM
LOL, that's the reason Joe didn't get the clock either Maybe it is too soon for him to sleep soundly, ideally he'd be with his mum, brothers and sisters and he'd be settled more with them but as things don't always go to plan I think maybe it's just time Lucky needs. Goodluck
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 05:20 AM
Wed update. Had the best night so far even though I was on my own. I slept for 3 hours on the sofa,was woken up by Lucky at 12.15.Fed him,played till he put himself to bed,then put him to bed under the side table in our bedroom.He slept from 1 till 2.15 then wanted to play!I made a point of not joining in and then put him back into his bed.He soon tired and went back to sleep for another 3 hours.I put his rug,bed,toys ect all in the room as well so I knew he didn't want something from the living room.I think this puppy must be a cave dweller.He loves to be in small dark places,only comes out to eat,feed,play ect or if he gets too hot.Anyway I ended up with a total of 7 hours sleep which was wonderful! I think I shall send my husband into the spare bedroom when he returns until this gets a little easier and we both end up getting a good night's sleep. He loves his food and milk and is growing at an alarming rate(the dog not the husband)my only fear now is that one day he will get under the sofa and not be able to get out.Any one out there with a spare saddle?
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 07:31 AM
Originally Posted by Eileen Goodman View Post
Update on Lucky.He's eating really well,probably too well.He tends to get hiccups and seems to have a lot of bad dreams.I guess his start in life wasn't the best.He sleeps really well in the day but night time is still not good.My husband had to go away yesterday till Thursday so I'm getting little to no sleep.I tried to weigh him yesterday,he's approx 6lbs.Can anyone tell me roughly how much biscuit and dog food I should be giving him at each meal.I also give him 40ml of milk at each feed? Should I be reducing the milk or keep going with it? He's 5 weeks old tomorrow.
Many thanks
Hi haven't been on much lately, but wanted to say Im glad that he's doing fine
You say he's about 6lbs now, which is like three bags of sugar nearly, that is quite a size, you may fine that reducing the milk slowly now, until he has just water benefical, as you could risk him being overweight, (the milk is the gainer of weight) just a thought. When I have handreared I always start reducing the milk from 5 weeks, watering it down more and more, using less and less milk as for the junior food, I would personally keep him on puppy food, junior is for older ones. Can you get any mince and keep it in a freezer, you can then defrost daily what is needed
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:10 AM
Hi youngstevie,I can put him on mince,would that affect the fact that I want him to go on the bags of food later? We will have to travel with him when he is older and that will be easier than fresh or tinned food.Also being in Portugal we do have a fly problem in peak season(now).I thought the semi dry food looks to be the best and then we only have to have water on hand.I am having trouble getting the puppy food,my husband has been to every shop we can think of and up to now has only found Junior food.I'm still mixing the small biscuit that the vet sold me,doing 1 third of that to 2 thirds tinned puppy food(with a little water).He's now on 4 feeds a day,I feed on demand,I don't wake him.I can add more solid and reduce the milk,he's on 40ml of milk with each meal.
My only other concern with him at the moment is he get's hiccups after each meal and has a lot of bad dreams.He's laying on the sofa with me now and is jumping quite a lot.I find putting my hand on him settle's him a little. I do wonder if he remembers being wrapped in the weed in the garden that first day,not a great start!
Do you know if it's ok for me to put my email address on this site,would love to send some pic's to anyone who would like to see them.I looked at how to post them on this site and it was too much for my brain!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 08:37 AM
I suppose if Junior is all you can get. then junior it will have to be, I'd be inclinded to feed a reduced amount (as what the tin states) although over there it may have on it what to give via weight, which will be easier for you to work out.

I wouldn't worry about the hiccups, this is just him taking air as he eats, when they are that young they tend to try to suck up as well as take up off the plate, these will reduce/go as he gets to 10 weeks plus.....unless he is a greedy eater and then they may take a while longer
As for bad dreams, Im not sure about that, alot of puppies squeal and squeak and jump about in sleep, infact two of my adult dogs do, what they are dreaming of who knows, again though I wouldn't worry too much I am sure all things in that department will settle, sometimes a water bottle (although where you are you won;t need to fill with warm water ) but the movement of the water in the bottle settles orphan pups really well, just wrap the bottle up in a blanket.
Not sure about you email address, but if you can get a photobucket account, you can download any photos on there, then copy and paste over to dogsey

Good luck
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 10:56 AM
Hi youngstevie,Did as you said and opened a photobucket a/c.I'm still sitting here in my dressing gown!!! Managed to move photo's into a album but can't work out how to get them to Dogsey!! They have all been put in large pic's,can't work out how to resize them either.It took forever to move the pic's to the album because of the size,took about an hour to do 11 pic's.Looked at advice on this site which said read below to resize and there was no info.I don't know how to cut and paste either which doesn't help.Any advice
Eileen
Sorry I'm thick,maybe after a glass of wine or 2 tonight!lol
Eileen Goodman
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Just had a thought,if I give you my photobucket login name and password you could see the pic's anyway.Good idea or not?
Benzmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2010, 11:41 AM
Aw Eileen just been reading this thread and what a star you are, well done you for taking Lucky in< many on here know the struggles of am orphaned pup and i think it's fantastic what you are doing for Lucky.

It is also great as this is my first read of the thread and it gets happier and happier as I read through it

Now you have a photobucket account just go to the account where you can see all your pictures and then move your mouse over the one you want to put on dogsey then a drop down box should appear, slide your mouse down to the bit that says IMG code and then copy that whole code(highlight the code by clicking your left mouse button and dragging it along the whole code, then when it is highlighted click the right hand house button and select copy) it should start and end with [IMG] [IMG] and there should be a bit in the middle saying something like photobucket/luckypics/img001 (assuming you called the albu m Lucky Pics and the picture you were trying to copy was pic number 1! (hope that makes sense)

Then just go to the thread you want in Dogsey and click the right hand mouse bitton and select paste and hey presto your img code will be in the thread and when you submit your thread the pictures of Lucky should show up
Page 4 of 16 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »