Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
madmare
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 12:00 PM

Cleaners

I am getting really behind here with my cleaning now I am working and I have thought about splashing out a little and getting a cleaner in before christmas to give the whole place a good clean.
How much do cleaners charge these days?, just so I have an idea what to expect and if I can afford it.
Also do they supply the cleaning stuff or do they?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
I hate to tell you this Bev, but they're usually £10 an hour nowadays! It's not just the getting one either, it's getting a GOOD one imo! They have all stressed me out far too much over time coz they just don't cut it with me, but then I'm a fussy begger, and although it's classed as a menial type of job, you really do need quite a few marbles in place to do the job properly which some of them, just don't seem to have had when I've found them.

One of them never dusted along the top edge of the recliners and couch, and when I said about it one day, she turned round and said "oh yes, I do mine every, single day along there" but not mine then and I'm paying you???!!!

I found the older ones were more thorough and got the job done quicker, but they're very hard to find, so good luck, but they'll want all of £10 for an hour.
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2011, 12:44 PM
Ten pounds per hour is very reasonable. Hire one with good word of mouth refs and give them a detailed work list to stick to from the off
angelmist
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 01:17 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
I hate to tell you this Bev, but they're usually £10 an hour nowadays! It's not just the getting one either, it's getting a GOOD one imo! They have all stressed me out far too much over time coz they just don't cut it with me, but then I'm a fussy begger, and although it's classed as a menial type of job, you really do need quite a few marbles in place to do the job properly which some of them, just don't seem to have had when I've found them.

One of them never dusted along the top edge of the recliners and couch, and when I said about it one day, she turned round and said "oh yes, I do mine every, single day along there" but not mine then and I'm paying you???!!!

I found the older ones were more thorough and got the job done quicker, but they're very hard to find, so good luck, but they'll want all of £10 for an hour.
Tell me about it! My mum interviewed a woman for cleaning our house (when I lived at home) and when asked have you got any questions she said 'yes, how do you use the hoover'. Needless to say she didn't get the job!
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 01:23 PM
£10 per hour for mine, and she's a little gem.....

I supply the cleaning stuff

She does two hours a week and that's two hours I don't have to do.....

Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by Krusewalker View Post
Ten pounds per hour is very reasonable. Hire one with good word of mouth refs and give them a detailed work list to stick to from the off
I tried that, with the emphasize on the "tried"!

I had one woman who used to clean the local pub, and she insisted on using her own materials, which would include her own cloths No thanks, I had nightmares about that cloth being used in the gent's loo that she was using to whiz around my kitchen cupboards She didn't last long either!!!
Krusewalker
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-12-2011, 01:43 PM
I tried that, with the emphasize on the "tried"!

I had one woman who used to clean the local pub, and she insisted on using her own materials, which would include her own cloths No thanks, I had nightmares about that cloth being used in the gent's loo that she was using to whiz around my kitchen cupboards She didn't last long either!!!
I'm guessing the work plan worked then as she didn't follow it so you could fire her. I would supply the equipment as well
Baileys Blind
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 04:13 PM
I googled cleaners last year when OH asked what I wanted for xmas!! A year of only basic cleaning I thought - BLISS I was amazed at the cost

Luckily for me (unluckily for her though) my friend got made redundant just after xmas and while she was job hunting I mentioned I could do with a cleaner and she jumped at the chance of a bit of spending money and even better she's a bit OCD when it comes to cleaning and she's still coming almost a year later - I'm dreading her getting a job now Although I'll be glad for her when she does just not for me
abbie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-12-2011, 04:48 PM
We had a couple of disasters with cleaners

Once came home to find Polish music blasting out of the house with cleaner sat watching star trec whilst listening to full blast music

Another one for some unknown reason decided to go through photo albums polishing the photos. Loads were ruined.

Another thought it was her right to help herself to shower gel etc from the bathroom.

Needless to say none lasted long
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

12-12-2011, 06:55 PM
No thanks, I had nightmares about that cloth being used in the gent's loo that she was using to whiz around my kitchen cupboards

Yes, that's exactly where my mind went when I read your post. Ewww.

I'd love to have a cleaner as housework murders my back, but I just don't like giving up on things. There's so much I used to enjoy that I cannot do now and even though I hate housework, I'm damned if I'm going to let it turn into one more thing I don't do anymore.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >