Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:20 PM

Shooting Squirrels

Hi all, I've been told by neighbours that a man in our grove has shot 2 of the squirrels with an air-rifle because they have been going into his garden (although they weren't when he shot them).
Yes, they were greys, and the RSPCA say they are classed as pests, but surely he is not permitted to shoot at them ?? The trees in which they rest/reside back onto a lane leading to an old folks home, and he has been seen shooting up the lane too!!!!

He openly admits what he's done, and apparently has explained his actions to his 6yr old daughter!. We live about 100yds from woods, open common etc. and also have foxes etc. crossing the road and such, WHAT DOES HE EXPECT???? I have tried to find my local Wildlife liaison oficer, but can't.

I AM FUMING
doglover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:25 PM
OMG how cruel i can't believe ppl sumtimes
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:28 PM
I think he is 'entitled' to shoot them, in that they are not protected.

However, I think he may be on sticky ground by using an air rifle ?in the street/?on public land. You'd need to ask a legal expert.

I had an incident where a loooong garden backing onto mine had traps set for foxes (wire crates). One of my cats was trapped . He was OK, I climbed in and rescued him but i contacted the RSPCA about the traps and they said they couldn't do anything if it was on private land
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:33 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
I think he is 'entitled' to shoot them, in that they are not protected.

However, I think he may be on sticky ground by using an air rifle ?in the street/?on public land. You'd need to ask a legal expert.

I had an incident where a loooong garden backing onto mine had traps set for foxes (wire crates). One of my cats was trapped . He was OK, I climbed in and rescued him but i contacted the RSPCA about the traps and they said they couldn't do anything if it was on private land
I see what your saying, but what if he shot a cat that was peeing on his Petunias, what protects the cat but not the squirrel ?
Dinahsmum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 05:35 PM
The cat is protected, the squirrel isn't.
It's the law, that's how it is.
Don't know why - somebody much cleverer than me said 'the law is an ass' and they could well have been right
amts
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Dont know if its any help, but he wouldnt be allowed to shoot here unless he was sure the bullet cant do any harm no matter where it lands (other than the target of course).

I dont think he can be sure of that if he uses a gun so close to buildings, pplīs homes, etc?
jake
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:01 PM
Have you tried shooting him instead................ Just a thought
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:08 PM
Originally Posted by Dinahsmum
The cat is protected, the squirrel isn't.
It's the law, that's how it is.
Don't know why - somebody much cleverer than me said 'the law is an ass' and they could well have been right
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that the cat shouldn't be, it's just not right that he can 'take a pop' 'cos he's in a bad mood. News got round really quickly, I had someone waiting to tell me as I got out of the car!!

Another lady had picked up the bodies, he hadn't shot them in his garden, but like you said, on public ground. I don't understand why someone would live in the country, and then shoot the wildlife
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:14 PM
Originally Posted by jake
Have you tried shooting him instead................ Just a thought
Don't even joke about it. I'm locking the door early tonight, 'cos everone (it's only a small grove) is more than upset, I just hope there isn't going to be trouble
Ashlady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-06-2005, 06:19 PM
Originally Posted by amts
Dont know if its any help, but he wouldnt be allowed to shoot here unless he was sure the bullet cant do any harm no matter where it lands (other than the target of course).

I dont think he can be sure of that if he uses a gun so close to buildings, pplīs homes, etc?
Have to say, I don't know anything about the law and guns, but it just seemed so pointless and cruel, if he had livestock or something like that then he would have a reason...
'livestock'???? doh! I have a friend with an aviary, and she had problems with squirrels getting in and eating the eggs - thats what I meant - sorry!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >