Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:53 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I can't recall his name off hand but I think I might if someone said the name. It was a man and he was talking about how he trained, I think he was also very well known amongst the circles he moved in but I can't recall anything else I am afraid.

I would Google, but honestly I find shock collar training articles/info/vids so utterly depressing!

Firstlight, can you explain why you feel it is OK to use shock collars for sporting reasons? Is this something you can defend? I can't see how to be honest.

Wys
How 'bout you google "retriever trainers". I would really like to know who you saw.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:55 AM
Originally Posted by Wysiwyg View Post
I can't recall his name off hand but I think I might if someone said the name. It was a man and he was talking about how he trained, I think he was also very well known amongst the circles he moved in but I can't recall anything else I am afraid.

I would Google, but honestly I find shock collar training articles/info/vids so utterly depressing!

Firstlight, can you explain why you feel it is OK to use shock collars for sporting reasons? Is this something you can defend? I can't see how to be honest.

Wys
How 'bout you google "retriever trainers". I would really like to know who you saw.

Already answered your last statement and question, which you asked earlier. Sorry it took so long to get to it.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 12:58 AM
Originally Posted by Tessabelle View Post
Gosh! I wish I hadn't looked at this thread.

Firstlight - Is it possible you could edit the subject line to something less misleading? even changing 'discuss' to 'argue about' would be more relevant.
I don't consider what is going on here to be arguing, altho I do admit there is precious little discussion going on.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 01:45 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Sounds like it all happened in and instant. Do you think she would have obeyed the whistle command to stop, given the chance or was there a gap long enough for her to react between whistle and shock?
She had her one chance with the flush, (remember the flush was the command), and she chose to ignore the command. Since flush means sit, and obviously I could not repeat the flush with a correction, I used the sit whistle.

I can't think of any circumstance where there should be a gap between command and shock, the message is right now. How long a gap should there be? What if she kept going in the gap, thus continuing the self-rewarding behavior (totally unfair to allow the dog to do that), and getting that much closer to her demise? What if she finally started to sit just as I decided the gap was long enough and hit the button, thus correcting the behavior I asked for?

Employing a gap between command and shock has a lot of
potential for disaster, no? And for what it's worth, the "what ifs" I posed are both examples of what I would consider to be abusive use of the collar.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 02:27 AM
Originally Posted by Brierley View Post
Takes many forms, but the context in which I used it which may well have led to subsequent comments and beliefs of others is in respect of, simply, emulating what happens within the pack in training.

The 'purists' (for want of a better word) go whole hog with the alpha roll, not letting the dog take a higher position, eating before the dog etc.

The posts I commented on (and I'm going from memory here) at first suggested to me that you didn't buy into it and yet in other posts you got 'lost' in what happens within a litter and how dogs behave with each other.
Thanks Brierley, I was pretty sure that's what the promarc post meant, but I had difficulty understanding the wording; still not sure whether he/she meant alpha role or alpha roll.

Whole hog with the alpha roll huh? I got a call from a woman who was advised by a trainer, who had never even seen her dog, to use the alpha roll (advice and "how to" imparted over the freakin' phone!) The woman called me the day after her trip to the ER to have her face sewn back together. Amazing how theories get all knotted up, isn't it?

The posts where I got "lost" were meant to convey my observations of pack behavior, including dominance.
Firstlight
Dogsey Junior
Female 

31-01-2013, 02:30 AM
Originally Posted by egroeg View Post
Oh dear. I think we have all been wound up enough.

Firstlight, do some research on modern training techniques.
Karen Pryor is a good place to start.
Re: dominance, see my answer to Brierley.

RE: KP, been there done that.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 07:42 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
She had her one chance with the flush, (remember the flush was the command), and she chose to ignore the command. Since flush means sit, and obviously I could not repeat the flush with a correction, I used the sit whistle.

I can't think of any circumstance where there should be a gap between command and shock, the message is right now. How long a gap should there be? What if she kept going in the gap, thus continuing the self-rewarding behavior (totally unfair to allow the dog to do that), and getting that much closer to her demise? What if she finally started to sit just as I decided the gap was long enough and hit the button, thus correcting the behavior I asked for?

Employing a gap between command and shock has a lot of
potential for disaster, no? And for what it's worth, the "what ifs" I posed are both examples of what I would consider to be abusive use of the collar.
It was a question (about whether or not you think she would have obeyed the whistle without the shock) rather than a condemnation.

The point is, the dog couldn't have associated that shock with the first command (in this case the flush) as a reminder command had been given. She got the shock without any 'choice' of action on that command.
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-01-2013, 07:47 AM
I don't see or get involved in many e-collar discussions these days. Going back a little I did and what I always found amusing was when there were two or three collar trainers on the threads. It was guaranteed that, before long, each were calling the other abusive in how they used the collar.

One, among many, very good cases for banning the tool is to get two or three users in the same place and let them do battle
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-01-2013, 09:06 AM
Originally Posted by Firstlight View Post
All it "proves" is that I haven't gotten around to it yet, I only have ten fingers and one keyboard. Glad to know you are so anxious to hear my reply!
right i'll re-ask then you do believe in dominance theory, anyone half clued will know what this means without being told the meaning, dominance from dogs to humans dominance from dog to dog, as you mention alpha roles ect. also i wanted you to have a look at this article, it was posted by a leading dog trainer in positive training, in the article it also slams E-shock collars from leading behaviourist and trainers ect ect but yet your trying to say there safe.

http://www.squidoo.com/collars-shock
promarc
Dogsey Senior
Male 

31-01-2013, 09:12 AM
post upon post take time out put your feet up and listen to some actual experts. by the way only asking dont worry, but are you a qualified trainer/behaviorist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=CuC4hEaZQeY
Page 22 of 36 « First < 12 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 32 > Last »