View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:26 PM
And as you are due a Baby yourself soon, Iwould leave her to it, if you sell momma you will be out more expense feeding a baby lots of extra food, when the mare will only need Supplementing and grass.
Sure it's coming into the summer anyway's soon Iwouldn't have thought it to expensive to feed the momma compared to all the replacement feed.
We had a stallion rember Royal flush Jayne the big nasty one, He was bottle reared from 2 months as his momma ran into the barbwire and had to be shot, you would have thought handrearing would have made him a good one wouldnt you, boy He was one nasty piece I'l tell you, I was walking him out on day he reared booted me in the noggin and out like a light I went, I swear that's what caused my brain to be a bit slow catching up with my gob.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
And as you are due a Baby yourself soon, Iwould leave her to it, if you sell momma you will be out more expense feeding a baby lots of extra food, when the mare will only need Supplementing and grass.
Sure it's coming into the summer anyway's soon Iwouldn't have thought it to expensive to feed the momma compared to all the replacement feed.
We had a stallion rember Royal flush Jayne the big nasty one, He was bottle reared from 2 months as his momma ran into the barbwire and had to be shot, you would have thought handrearing would have made him a good one wouldnt you, boy He was one nasty piece I'l tell you, I was walking him out on day he reared booted me in the noggin and out like a light I went, I swear that's what caused my brain to be a bit slow catching up with my gob.
LOL I remember him he was a horrid horse he killed one of our mares too if I remember right xxxxx
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-05-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally Posted by bajaluna View Post
LOL I remember him he was a horrid horse he killed one of our mares too if I remember right xxxxx
Yeap the one with the 2 month old baby, broke her leg, just the one kick and Tiba smashed.
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 01:19 AM
Ok Im not trying to say that I didn't want Dixie or anything like that. Also we found out that she was preggo like 3 days before she delivered. She was in very bad shape when we got her. Also I never said that I was going to wean her now I just dont understand what is going on and Im just looking for someone who knows horses a bit more. Everything that Im reading is conflicting with whats going on.

I spent all day out there today and Luna never once nursed, not the one time. When feeding time came she ate her bit that we gave to her (half scoop and its a 3 pound scoop) and nibbled out of the other buckets as she could. She did follow her mom some but again was mostly with Sassy.

As far as us messing with Luna we try to keep Dixie around but she doesnt want anything to do with us. She runs when we approach the fence, which she has never done before the baby. If we try to mess with her she bites at us and tries to pull away. We are supposed to be having someone working her for us but it seems rather hard to get help when you need it around here (where I live). Luna and Sassy greet us at the fence and we have worked and played with them. I posted a pic somewhere that showed how anti-social Dixie is and unless you have food she wants nothing to do with you and if you have food she only wants the food.

This is a pic that I took at feeding time of Luna sharing a bucket with Sassy.

Dixie was off eating hay.
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 01:48 AM
ok so heres some previous pics you posted of sassy you also said in previous posts A:youve never owned a horse before B:sassy was bagged up meaning she was getting ready to foal
now here is todays pic of sassy I can see the mare has lost at least 150lbs if not more, now she is very underweight she looks like a different horse

so you have 2 senerios(spelling?) either she has stolen luna and is feeding her,which mares do if the babies are not with their mom or the mare is more dominant than the mom

or she is not getting enough food for a pregnant/lactating mare
so If I were you I would be seperating sassy from everyone and feeding her up so she can foal safely if luna is nursing she will take all the colostrum for the impending foal and it will die,then maybe lunas mom will be more interestedxxxx
AussieGeek
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 02:07 AM
Sassy has not lost any weight. Her belly has dropped. ??? Her food intake has not changed from the pics and Luna has not been nursing from Sassy.

Im really confused...Im asking for help and its seems Im only getting criticism that I dont understand.

This pic was also taken today
bajaluna
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 03:23 AM
dont lie there is no way that pic and the one above it were both taken today we were only trying to help you,and you insult us and waste our time you can clearly see the hips and ribs in the first photo you posted and they miraculously dissapear in the second come on
horses are a never ending source of education we learn new things everyday even after years and years we still learn,no one knows everything about horses which is why I told you to start a thread and get more opinions,.
theres an old saying I learned along time ago and it is simlpy this
"you cant learn anything with your mouth open"
enough said sorry we couldnt help you xxxx
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 08:16 AM
cani just ask though - why are you even considering weaning so young???

get your vet out and havea word with him/her - you'llvonly do damage in the long term by weaning early!!

just because the mare has not shown much intrest in the foal dosent mean they should be separated!!! shes jutst needs time to adjust and a little help! so like i said - vet!
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 08:28 AM
I know what your saying hun.....and I'm no horse owner, but come from 'Farming stock' if you know what I mean.
I'd leave it Hun, let things ride, Dixie maybe leaving Luna with Sassey by her own choice, and I do really think Helena had a point, I wouldn't take Luna off too often without walking Mom too.
I have thought back to when I was small, and Gran never walked foal with parent.
It sounds to me as if Dixie needs some attention with her attitude problem and animals do get jealous....IMO
Dixie could be resenting the attention Luna is getting.......hard to imagin I know, but when I worked with the horses I found them more intelligent than we gave them credit for.
Give it ago........see what happens. But I wish you luck xxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-05-2008, 11:59 AM
I'm speaking as an ex-horse owner for over 30 years now, and the pic of Sassy with Luna taken today, she's not looking good. As Bajaluna is right in what she says about horses dropping off weight, putting it back on all so quickly, you have to be really experienced in knowing just how much you can step up the feed plus knowing which food is best for putting weight on, especially for a mare in foal. She actually looks like my horse did when he didn't come through the winter very well, with a full clip, no grass, and a good 4 hour ride most days (and I like to go fast!), he was quite an embarrassment to me at the time, but then a lot of experienced peops told me you can't have a fat FIT horse, and he was top notch fit at the time. He too had the sloping hindquarters like your Sassy has, but quite honestly, she should look really well covered, no ribs showing and definitely none of her hindquarter bones showing like that, to ME anyways, but like I said, I've never been the owner of a mare in foal, but I have been around them, and they always look in their prime, just like a pregnant mum would do!

From all your posts, I'm sorry to say, I think things are going wrong big time, and it's time to call in the vet, even just for him to see all the horses and have a chat with you and see what advice he can offer you? That's what I would do anyway.

YOu can never cut corners with horses, it shows within a week of doing so, and that's how quickly things can start going downhill if you haven't got it quite right with the feeding. Am I right in thinking you are just about to go into Winter over there too? That would be even worse, I would want my horses to be as well covered as possible to start the cold, lean winters, coz winter really takes it out of them, especially if they're not kept warm enough. Cold can lose more weight, than not feeding them enough. That's why all of the foods have a "heating" quality to them, horses convert food this way, heat into energy, even if it's only for moving around a paddock all day, they still need it, and the cold winter winds can play havoc with their weight if they're not kept warm enough either.

I'm not wanting to upset you, same as Bajaluna isn't, but if you can honestly admit you don't have enough experience with all that's going on around you with your horses, then it's time to get an experienced person THERE with you to discuss it more fully and offer you advice. All the best, but give that vet a ring, I'm sure he'd be more than willing to come out for a chat
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >