View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-12-2014, 10:31 PM
if fox hunting iks brought back or not it won't make much difference. There are so many urban foxes anyway that can't be hunted as they are in peoples back gardens, have a vote to bring it back is irrevelent.

Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 01:21 PM
I'm sure it will make difference for farmers who lose stock to wild foxes. I doubt they give a fig about urban foxes.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 01:48 PM
Here, wild foxes are moderately rare, but considered a nuisance/pest. They are often "exterminated" as owners see fit. This is rarely done by shooting, by the way. People will set vicious dogs on them, poison them, or animal control will trap them and then they are put down.

There are no laws here against hunting them, I dont think (could be wrong, do not know much about hunting laws) but people have their own "interesting" ways to get rid of them, anyway so I doubt it would matter whether it was legal or not!
Chris
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Dobermonkey View Post
I'm sure it will make difference for farmers who lose stock to wild foxes. I doubt they give a fig about urban foxes.
Farmers can legally shoot foxes. I would imagine that most farmers have more control of wild fox numbers this way than by allowing the hunt through their land
CaroleC
Dogsey Senior
Female 

28-12-2014, 04:56 PM
Not all land is suitable for the hunt, and shooting them isn't always easy. A friend on a Derbyshire hill farm was losing a significant amount of poultry to the fox, so she booked a couple of shots. They spent 2 weeks of nights trying to get a sight of him, without any success.
I once lost a dozen of my small flock of free range hens in broad daylight - they were kept in a stable at night. I was so disheartened that I gave the rest away.
Dobermonkey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 05:46 PM
Last chickens we lost were on Mother's Day between 1pm and 3pm. We have a pheasant shoot across the road so the gamekeeper shoots most of them but there's a regular through our gardens. We back on to fields so the chooks are fair game I suppose. One of our remaining 2 was rescued from the jaws of Foxy Loxy by my boy
chlosmum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 07:16 PM
Foxes are numerous in Hungary and I often see them running across the fields when I drive into town. Until they brought in oral vaccination of wildlife foxes were the main carriers of Rabies.
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 10:14 PM
Originally Posted by gordon mac View Post
Gnasher - A true Democracy may be an impossibility, but do suspect that our attempt at it (with all it's faults) is probably one of the better options, given what you can so readily see happening in most of the rest of this "civilised" world. Azz - Suppose you had to put it somewhere as we don't have a Labour Party Political Support Section. Can't help feeling that I know where you ought to put it.
As a salient species - and currently the top dog
- we should always strive to achieve perfection, but we are a million miles away from "it" - a true democracy - in terms of mind and state. Maybe for the very reasons that I have already stated, a true democracy is indeed impossible!
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 10:26 PM
Humans will never be able to collectively see each other as equals. Yes, a true democracy is not possible, but you have to bekieve in your fellow man, and believe that he is truly trying. Make the best of what you have.

I'm black, we are less than 12% of the total population here. Before I go ultra complaining that things aren't fair, I should use my brain. As only 12% what true good can we accomplish that cannot be done more effectively in higher numbers?

You stand your ground, you hold onto what you believe in, you treat others fairly, and if you're anything like me, you remain realistic at all times. Sometimes, what we percieve as bigotry or whatnot is simple logic and effectiveness. And if its not? Best to look at it that way anyway. Life isn't fair and accusing people of not being fair has not changed that over all these years, now has it?
Gnasher
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-12-2014, 10:41 PM
Originally Posted by mjfromga View Post
Humans will never be able to collectively see each other as equals. Yes, a true democracy is not possible, but you have to bekieve in your fellow man, and believe that he is truly trying. Make the best of what you have.

I'm black, we are less than 12% of the total population here. Before I go ultra complaining that things aren't fair, I should use my brain. As only 12% what true good can we accomplish that cannot be done more effectively in higher numbers?

You stand your ground, you hold onto what you believe in, you treat others fairly, and if you're anything like me, you remain realistic at all times. Sometimes, what we percieve as bigotry or whatnot is simple logic and effectiveness. And if its not? Best to look at it that way anyway. Life isn't fair and accusing people of not being fair has not changed that over all these years, now has it?
I believe we are no different from any other animal on this planet - we currently are the top species but that could change in the the blink of an eye. Black or white, we are still the same species, Homo sapiens, and whereas racial intolerance does exist, of course it does, nonetheless it is totally illogical ... Irrespective of percentages, it makes no sense for a white American to make a discriminatory remark against yourself, as a black American, purely on the grounds of your colour. That is just nonsensical.
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >