Our sister sites
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 03:26 PM

Has Anyone Tried "They Love It" Food?

I found this listing on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Frozen-Dog...item1e7b288cd0

They have a website too with various different bits of chicken with free delivery as far as I can tell:
http://www.theyloveit.co.uk/

About the mince, it says "prepared from fresh chicken carcass and thigh which gives a 15 - 20% natural bone content".
Since its just meat and bones, would I need to add anything extra?

Does anyone have any experience with this in particular?
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 04:19 PM
Depends on whether you want to feed the actual raw diet or just barf. For raw you would need to add organs e.g. stomach. For barf you need to add some vegetables and some rice or something like that. But then for barf you also need to cook the mince while for raw (as many raw supporters would argue) there is no use in feeding this sort of mince. It defeats the purpose of raw as a way of making the dog really chew big chunks of meat and clean his teeth... Either way I would suggest to read some articles on both diets and decide what you want
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 04:24 PM
I worry a bit about a name like 'they love it' because I know that dogs, like kids, love all sorts of stuff that isn't very 'good' for them!

I try to find a balance between food that is nutritional and healthy for my dawg and that she also LIKES. Because however good it is for her - it's no good for me if she doesn't like it.

*actually, me being ancient, I am very glad that pet food is analysed so much these days.

Decades ago people just bought by 'brand name' or indeed fed their dog from family leftovers.

I am not decided on the subject of how many 'disorders' there seem to be these days affecting dogs what with so much nutritional info on food available out there.

I never see a STREET MUTT who doesn't look healthy and isn't at optimal weight!
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by k_azu View Post
Depends on whether you want to feed the actual raw diet or just barf. For raw you would need to add organs e.g. stomach. For barf you need to add some vegetables and some rice or something like that. But then for barf you also need to cook the mince while for raw (as many raw supporters would argue) there is no use in feeding this sort of mince. It defeats the purpose of raw as a way of making the dog really chew big chunks of meat and clean his teeth... Either way I would suggest to read some articles on both diets and decide what you want
If feeding barf you do not cook the mince. It is given raw with fruit and veg if you choose too and bones as a snack or recreational past time to clean the teeth also raw as we know cooked bones splinter.
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 04:40 PM
Hmm well regarding street muts I always say that out there the law of "survival of the fittest" rules. So yes, those muts might be looking healthy but one must remember that there's also lots of dead muts who could not survive on what they could find. While not all dogs that we keep and raise as pets would survive after getting kicked out of the house...
k_azu
Dogsey Junior
Female 

03-06-2013, 04:49 PM
Lynn I know you don't give cooked bones! I never said you should. I assumed that the bones in the mince the OP speaks of aren't full bones but more like bone powder? I mean I assume they turned the whole chicken carcass into mince? I don't know much about barf apart from what I learnt when I was researching it and many said that if you give meat with cooked rice, pasta or some sort of porridge you should always put the meat in the boiling water just a couple of minutes before the rice is finished cooking. I believe it was something about boiled rice etc and raw meet being digested at different rates. So cooking it just for a short time helps the digestion or something like that..
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2013, 04:58 PM
You don't usually give grains with the raw mince it is just the same as feeding a prey diet except some prefer to use minces and a chicken wing or lamb or pork or beef rib for the purpose of teeth cleaning rather than a say a whole rabbit or pigeon or similar.
Certain minces such as lamb and beef contain no bone this is also where the giving of a wing or similar comes into play.
Rabbit, chicken, turkey etc., do contain bone but like you say ground.
There is no need to feed grains with a barf diet.
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

03-06-2013, 05:34 PM
No idea where you have been doing your research, adding porridge or rice, or indeed grains is not part of raw feeding, either BARF or prey model, nor is cooking the meat.
Perhaps read up on the subject a bit more?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...di%2Caps%2C275
or join Britbarf which is an excellent informative site where there are many many years of experience available to someone new to the subject
I do add steamed veg to my girls food as they do so well on raw I have to bulk it out to try and keep the weight OFF them. They come from 5 generations of raw fed dogs, I also wean my puppies onto raw, and the sires of any puppies I breed are also raw fed.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Originally Posted by k_azu View Post
Hmm well regarding street muts I always say that out there the law of "survival of the fittest" rules. So yes, those muts might be looking healthy but one must remember that there's also lots of dead muts who could not survive on what they could find. While not all dogs that we keep and raise as pets would survive after getting kicked out of the house...
There's also a lot of unhealthy and dead dogs that were bought for money and mistreated by their owners.

I see the same old street mutts (and cats) roaming round here that were here when I moved in over 6yrs ago. If one of them (even a cat) 'vanishes' we all remark on where have they gone to?

But animals (like us) die anyway for all sorts of reasons including old age.

My comments were mainly aimed at saying that 30 odd years ago you didn't see all this discussion of WHAT you feed dogs or the nutritional value of proprietary dog food. And that lots of dogs just lived on scraps from family table. And survived and lots of them to a ripe old age too.

I liken the street mutts to the population of the UK during rationing years. There were no obesity problems when food was rationed.