Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-05-2008, 11:51 AM

Dogs Playing In The Heat

Can somebody please let me know if it is dangerous for dogs to play together in the heat...and when I say dogs, I mean lunatic Boxer dogs?

Reason being, I've recently agreed to have my friends Boxer stay with me and Benson during the day while he works early shifts, and today is their first day together - the hottest day of the year in Bucks.

I've had her (Ty) here since 8.00am and they have free run of my kitchen, garage and garden.

I know this sounds daft, but the problem is that they get on so well together, they just won't stop playing together. They are panting for England, spitting saliva everywhere and look like they're are on the verge of collapsing...but still they just keep on playing.

Should I intervene, or will they stop when they've had enough? I can see them killing themselves with heat related heart attacks at this rate. They've got loads of water, a paddling pool and shaded areas, but they won't play or go in there.

Am I worrying too much? Ta
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
I've been a bit worried about Bryan playing in the heat too the past couple of days as it's been so warm and he's shaggy little fellow. But I think they will stop when they get too hot. Have you got any ice cubes? You could throw them a bunch to chew on and chase around
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 11:56 AM
Lol great to see them like this though isn't it! I used to stop my two playing like that in the heat of the day, but like your two, they didn't want to stop! Can't you encourage them to play in and out of the pool so they can cool off, that's what I used to do. I really don't have any proper answers, coz I'd just know when to stop them, you'd think they'd know that bit themselves though wouldn't you, but they never seem to!

Hopefully someone will have a good answer for you, but I would err on the side of caution in the heat of the day, and possibly MAKE them lie down in that shade or somewhere cool. Good luck!
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Mine's play whatever the weather, I would soak them down and leave them to it, you would think they will quit when theyve had enough.
I soaked all mine down this morning as it is so hot, and now they are all sleeping outside. xxxxxxxx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 12:26 PM
Trouble is, when they're wet, then it's imperative that you keep them in the SHADE, otherwise their body gets even hotter when lying in the sun with boiling water on them!! I learned this to my cost one day when bathing the horse and turning him out in the hot sunshine - not good! When they're wet, you MUST keep them in the shade
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 02:02 PM
My three have been playing in the heat all morning , I have just showered them with the hose to cool them off , They will settle down when they are ready ,But if yoiur still concerned I usually bring mine in doors for a while to give them a rest and for them to cool off , Its great to see them playing happy together isnt it xxxdk
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-05-2008, 02:07 PM
I would watch out for signs of them overheating as due to their short muzzles they can overheat quickly.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Maybe if you just bring them in for a wee while let the cool down and then let them out again and so on if your'e worried.
Toni.xx
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

06-05-2008, 02:21 PM
Fortunately (????) it never really gets that hot, up here in the Twilight Zone! Sunny, yes, warm, yes, but hot, no. The TZBCs usually rectrict their activities to basking when it gets warm - they don't get all that many opportunities!

Snorri
Hammer
Dogsey Senior
Male 

06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Thank you all, I appreciate your thoughts and tips
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >