Our sister sites
Our sister sites
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2011, 02:06 PM

Max (Collie x) needs a new home.

I read the following on another (non dog related) forum:

About 18 months ago my remarkably dim sister in law gave my mother in law a collie cross puppy "to keep her company". Now since the MIL has MS this was never a good idea and it has now resulted in a very pissed off, bored, unbiddable dog that is now trying to bite people (not drawn blood but is clearly not a happy dog).

I've done my best to help out with the dog but realistically the poor thing was never going to get the kind of exercise that a dog of this type needs.

MIL has at long last decided that she wants rid, we can't take it as we have an eleven week old baby. No one else in the family can take it. Local SSPCA have said they might be able to take it if they have a vacancy and may end up having to put him down if they can't rehome him due to behavioural issues.

Max was taken to the vet this evening who said that he thinks the best thing is to put him to sleep. Now that doesn't rest easily with me. The poor ****** has done nothing wrong other than end up in an unsuitable home. He's a good enough dog but really needs sorted out and run until he's knackered every day.

I met Max this morning, and introduced my three to him. What a beautiful, happy, well behaved boy he is Absolutely no signs of aggression whatsoever, certainly no signs of any "rage".

He's mixed with children (9 & 11 year old), though s said to have bitten a 24 year old who was "playing" with him. Very biddable, and responded well to luring by someone who'd just met him (me !). A case of the wrong dog in the wrong home.

I mentioned that some rescues charge a surrender fee, they'd be willing to pay this, I also asked if they'd be willing to cover the cost of neutering - which they would.

Max is in the Stirling area. PM for further details/contact info.

A few pics:

Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 02:48 PM
Michael - if you contact Liz at GSD Rescue, she may be able to help (as the rescue do help other breeds if need be). (The dog looks more spaniel than collie, but is clearly a lovely wee thing)
rune
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 04:11 PM
I thought more spaniel as well, cute and so hope that he finds the right home.

rune
dizzi
Almost a Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 04:19 PM
OMG it's almost Layton's twin (apart from the ears)!
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2011, 04:22 PM
I'll contasct Liz.

I did actually write collie x spaniel, but seem to have deleted it for some reason.

Strangely, in the photos he does look more spaniel like, yet in the flesh was so obviously collie like.

I can't believe PTS has even been mentioned - he was lovely.
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2011, 07:31 PM
Update: Following a nice off lead walk this morning, I've just heard that Max has slept quietly all day at his owners feet - apparently a previously unheard of state of affairs
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-02-2011, 08:08 PM
Originally Posted by MichaelM View Post
Update: Following a nice off lead walk this morning, I've just heard that Max has slept quietly all day at his owners feet - apparently a previously unheard of state of affairs
Do you think with the required amount of exercise and mental stimulation, the owner may decide to keep their dog?
MichaelM
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-02-2011, 08:32 PM
The owner herself has MS, so she won't be keeping him.

The couple I met today were the daughter/son in law. They have an 11 week old child, he's at work until 7 mon - fri, they don't feel they can responsibly take the dog on.

But in the right home, I'm sure he'd be great.
Skyesmum
Dogsey Senior
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:23 PM
I hope he finds a good home, and someone that will appreciate him; he's a lovely looking boy

Is the lady that owns him severely disabled by her MS?
Just asking, as a fellow MS sufferer who owns 3 dogs............

Jann xx
Elizabeth13
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-02-2011, 10:35 PM
Have you tried Wiccaweys border collie rescue?
They are very well-known and successful at re-homing collies, collie x's and even the odd ABC dog!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >