Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-06-2010, 11:57 PM
Originally Posted by bugzy View Post
Ahhh but if you say you live in fort william I bet they would make up some excuse

Here is a link for another scam that uses fort william as it's fictional base http://www.highland.gov.uk/yourcounc...9-02-10-03.htm
ok I will give it a go

Originally Posted by Luchi View Post
Contact them back, say you live in Fort William, and can come see the pups. You will get your answer. I have read the email again, there are no pups. Don't go there!!

I know you say they have not asked for the money up front, Not yet!! They will do. It is definitely a scam.
ok Luchi, and no worries, the first thing that came into my head when I read it was 'BARGE POLE'

Originally Posted by MerlinsMum View Post
DEFINITE scam.
I have applied to some ads like these out of curiosity, and had the same reply back virtually word for word.

Think I have some saved if you'd like me to quote?

ETA: Play along. Then say you wish to meet the pups' mother and the seller first (not unreasonable) and you will be up near Fort William in two days' time on holiday, as you have family nearby.... how exciting..... the seller is so near!

I'll bet you £5 and the left hind leg of a pedigree Cocker the seller says that's not possible and/or he has suddenly had to move to Northern Ireland/Shetlands/Isle of Wight at no notice due to taking a new job or his 'mother' has died.
love that quote you made

Originally Posted by DevilDogz View Post
Reads like a scam to me!! Their questions make no sense! and its not a typical pup advert not even for a puppy farmer
no thats not the advert thats the email they sent when my daughter responded to the advert.
DevilDogz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:02 AM
ahh i get ya, sorry didnt read properly! Still i believe its a scam!
lozzibear
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:02 AM
definitely a scam! the questions are ridiculous, and if i was selling a puppy i would ask so many more questions than that! it surely cant be genuine! i would email them back, and say you live in/near fort william
liverbird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:05 AM
Originally Posted by lozzibear View Post
definitely a scam! the questions are ridiculous, and if i was selling a puppy i would ask so many more questions than that! it surely cant be genuine! i would email them back, and say you live in/near fort william
I will. with a false name and make out I'm loaded
och aye tha noo
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:06 AM
Yup its been a common scam in the US, looks like they are over here now
There aint no pups, and I would bet they dont live in fort bill either - just picked somewhere a little difficult to get to
MerlinsMum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:22 AM
Originally Posted by Ben Mcfuzzylugs View Post
There aint no pups, and I would bet they dont live in fort bill either - just picked somewhere a little difficult to get to
You got it! I'll bet you the right hind leg of a pedigree cocker on top, they really do suddenly relocate (with pups! huh, as if!) to somewhere just as remote meaning they still insist on delivery.

Like all the advice says, and many of the ad sites too in their cautionary disclaimer - Insist on seeing the puppies with their mother.

I replied to some last year advertising pedigree Malinois and Tervueren pups for £150 each (as if!!!!!!! ) - one in Oxfordshire, one in Somerset. I said I would travel to view. Both - to my utter surprise! - after two emails said something terrible had happened in family/got new job and oh my goodness me!!!!! .....One had relocated overnight (with puppies in tow?) to Scotland, and the other to the Isle of Man! Quelle surprise!

Oh and isn't it convenient - they always either have two male & two female pups available - (giving you a choice), never one or three of either sex, even in breeds that can have up to 11 pups at a throw.

What really got me giggling was one ad had a pic of the supposed pups at 6 weeks, showing them in a sunny leafy garden, when I knew the part of the country they were meant to be in, had been under a foot of snow for several weeks..........
lynnb
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-06-2010, 12:43 AM
Yep that reply letter stinks to high heaven as a scam, not only do they sometimes end up with someones hard earned cash but all there details aswell, i know where they can stick that barge pole.
mishflynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-06-2010, 05:48 AM
complete scam!
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

16-06-2010, 06:11 AM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
they don't ask for money up front!
They have for delivery £200 and if you sent that then you get some other story saying they have had problems.

Stay away defo a scam
powderworks
New Member!
Female 

16-06-2010, 06:28 AM
Originally Posted by liverbird View Post
My Daughter emailed someone on a adds site about an American Cocker Spaniel Puppy. she received this reply......

apart from the fact you don't get to see the Puppy with the Mum and siblings
does this stink of Puppy farm to any one it does me
Hi,
Yes it certainly stinks of it to me and one too certainly ignore,terribly written etc. Got to feel sorry for the victims of this--
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >