View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:45 PM
I am not against the idea per se. I however think it is a waste of time. Yes, ethical breeders will take pups back if given the opportunity but backyard breeders and puppy farmers will not. They also won't give two hoots about being on a list and, unfortunate as it is, most of the dog-owning general public wouldn't even consult any list. That is just a fact.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:51 PM
Originally Posted by Kanikula View Post
Just to point out that the greyhound list only contain the dogs RACING name - no breeder is mentioned on this list. If you were to start naming affix's that lead directly back to the breeder or the breeder themselves, - i imagine there would definatly be legal issues.
There can only be legal issues if what is being said is untrue, therefore Slander etc. If the facts and statements are true there is no case.

A list should be made available to potential puppy buyers somehow, so that any breeder they have visited, could be checked to see if they have dogs going to rescue.

It would certaily stop puppy sales for a breeder in my breed as they go on their flashy image etc yet many of their cast offs go through rescue, and people aren't aware of this.

I agree wit a list to a point, but it would have to be done correctly and be available in the right places.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
I agree wit a list to a point, but it would have to be done correctly and be available in the right places.
I think that applies to everything, if only KC registration was a true sign of quality there wouldn't be a need for any of this
Becky
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by Mahooli View Post
I think that applies to everything, if only KC registration was a true sign of quality there wouldn't be a need for any of this
Becky
I know, and again it comes down to the people who really care to come up with solutions while the KC sit back and just rake in the money for any old puppy.

It's a shame it has to come to people debating something like this.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:55 PM
A list should be made available to potential puppy buyers somehow, so that any breeder they have visited, could be checked to see if they have dogs going to rescue.
Great, if potential buyers would consult the list, but I still feel that the majority of Joe Bloggs dog owners wouldn't.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
Great, if potential buyers would consult the list, but I still feel that the majority of Joe Bloggs dog owners wouldn't.
I know a lot of potential puppy people that have called the KC and breed clubs to ask about breeders before now as they want to make sure they are buying from the right place, so there are many people out there becoming aware of the problems.
Moobli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 05:06 PM
I know a lot of potential puppy people that have called the KC and breed clubs to ask about breeders before now as they want to make sure they are buying from the right place, so there are many people out there becoming aware of the problems.
That is good news Malady, but I still don't think the majority of UK dog owners are that responsible.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Moobli View Post
That is good news Malady, but I still don't think the majority of UK dog owners are that responsible.
Or maybe they're just not given the chance to be !

Admittedly there will be breeders and owners that don't care, but I know for a fact that if a few certain breeders who come accross to the public as holier than thou, were shamed this way, it WOULD have an affect on their puppy sales, so even if people didn't refer to it that often, the thought of them being shamed would affect their practices, surely that's a good thing.

I know a lot of people are given wrong information or cant find what they want, so surely educating them is better than doing the same as the KC and doing nothing !
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 05:30 PM
I had a inquiry about a puppy on sunday past i told him to go to boxer club see who they recommended, he came back and said cant get one of the colour he wants, so i said he'd be best getting himself vetted for a puppy and put on a waiting list,to which he said i need one now, then last night called me back to say hed a deposit on another pup, from guess who a byb well known for interbred weak puppies who drops the price to buy a new pc, a byb commonly known for not health testing dogs,then the fella askes me to ask her if she is amongst us who health test i said do it yourself but becarefull she has a gob on her like a trucker with piles, but he still when on and bought the pup more the fool him,we can only try and educate but people dont see the problems with unhealth tested dogs unless there own dogs are effected, any body who knows about dogs dont buy for example hip dysplasia puppies sometimes its obvious when there small they have it,but heart defects in boxers i told him but god forbit the wee pup dies at 1 year old due to cardiomyopathy he cant say he werent warned xxzbxx
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-11-2007, 05:48 PM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
I had a inquiry about a puppy on sunday past i told him to go to boxer club see who they recommended, he came back and said cant get one of the colour he wants, so i said he'd be best getting himself vetted for a puppy and put on a waiting list,to which he said i need one now, then last night called me back to say hed a deposit on another pup, from guess who a byb well known for interbred weak puppies who drops the price to buy a new pc, a byb commonly known for not health testing dogs,then the fella askes me to ask her if she is amongst us who health test i said do it yourself but becarefull she has a gob on her like a trucker with piles, but he still when on and bought the pup more the fool him,we can only try and educate but people dont see the problems with unhealth tested dogs unless there own dogs are effected, any body who knows about dogs dont buy for example hip dysplasia puppies sometimes its obvious when there small they have it,but heart defects in boxers i told him but god forbit the wee pup dies at 1 year old due to cardiomyopathy he cant say he werent warned xxzbxx
I think its a case of the decide they want a puppy and they want one immediatly. Try telling them its not like going to the shop and buying a new tv they dont listen at all. Ive refused to put people on my list at times because I felt like i was banging my head against a brick wall and getting no where trying to educate them.
Page 4 of 25 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 > Last »