View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Hi Jacquie, thank you again for your reply.. will go and speak to the vet again this morning and am going to get some goatsmilk and white fish.. as I said, will try anything.. He ate his pasta and kefir again this morning but it goes in and out in the same shape, lol.. ( not straight away though, not for a few hours )..we will see how he gets on with the paste first and if that does not do the trick either I will go and get a second opinion from another vet which I have used before as well... he is really the head honcho for our area but a little bit more "rough" with the animals ( acting more like the alpha male, lol )... a lot of brits don't like him because of that but he has always been spot on before with our dogs.. keep you posted xx
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
Hi Jacquie, thank you again for your reply.. will go and speak to the vet again this morning and am going to get some goatsmilk and white fish.. as I said, will try anything.. He ate his pasta and kefir again this morning but it goes in and out in the same shape, lol.. ( not straight away though, not for a few hours )..we will see how he gets on with the paste first and if that does not do the trick either I will go and get a second opinion from another vet which I have used before as well... he is really the head honcho for our area but a little bit more "rough" with the animals ( acting more like the alpha male, lol )... a lot of brits don't like him because of that but he has always been spot on before with our dogs.. keep you posted xx
Hi keeping my fingers crossed,sometime the olduns know some tricks crystalgirl
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi keeping my fingers crossed,sometime the olduns know some tricks crystalgirl
well, got the paste and will wait to give it to him when he gets up from the sofa.. apparently it is a mix of molasses etc, which we will have to inject into his mouth and wait half an hour then put the food in front of him.. this paste should make him hungry... watch this space!!! if all fails I will get fish and goatsmilk xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-03-2013, 09:37 AM
Eva, can you get Millet and/or Quinoa or Buckwheat Groats? They are all easy to digest and quite nutritional. More so than just pasta!

I am so lucky in that I have an absolutely wonderful Vet who will discuss anything and everything [in three languages as well!] - I doubt I could find a better Vet anywhere for Pereg, who sends "get well soon" tailwags to her friend in Spain.

(((hugs)))
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:42 AM
well, got the paste and will wait to give it to him when he gets up from the sofa.. apparently it is a mix of molasses etc, which we will have to inject into his mouth and wait half an hour then put the food in front of him.. this paste should make him hungry... watch this space!!! if all fails I will get fish and goatsmilk xx
Hi it reminds me of a friend of mine,she was getting married.and she was going to give her hands a special treatment,so took her engagement ring off put the thin cotton gloves on went to sleep got up in the morning,sorted out her dog,got dressed realised she hadnt taken the gloves off,did so but her ring was missing she pulled the bed out,and was getting realy frantic,then it dawned on her,her dog had jumped on the bed,he's swallowed it,so got in the car with the dog,one x-ray later there was her ring,the vet said you will have to wait for nature to take its course,so she followed her dog everywhere,waiting for the ring to appear,it was four days,so back to the vet,the ring had cleared the intestines,so any day now,the night before the wedding it made its appearance,so first thing in the morning went to a jewellers to get it clean,most of it she had done,but in some places it was still mucky,but the relief,Anyway keeping my fingers crossed keep me posted crystalgirl
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 09:57 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
Eva, can you get Millet and/or Quinoa or Buckwheat Groats? They are all easy to digest and quite nutritional. More so than just pasta!

I am so lucky in that I have an absolutely wonderful Vet who will discuss anything and everything [in three languages as well!] - I doubt I could find a better Vet anywhere for Pereg, who sends "get well soon" tailwags to her friend in Spain.

(((hugs)))
I will have a look for those, just translated it on google translater, lol...
thank you tailwags coming Pereg's way from poor boy and his 2 girls xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
I will have a look for those, just translated it on google translater, lol...
thank you tailwags coming Pereg's way from poor boy and his 2 girls xx
Ah, yes, the problems with having to translate everything - tell me about it! I have to translate from a different alphabet as well.

My problem with Pereg was, of course, totally different from yours. I first had to get all the weight she had gained due to her meds off her, then Ram wanted me to lower the protein content of her first meal due to a raised BUN level in her last blood test, and having gotten her back to her pre-epilepsy weight, I really did not want her to lose any more - but neither did I want her to gain again and somehow I had to fill her up with lower protein but easy to digest food to bulk out the already loads of veggies she has.

And it seems like Millet, Quinoa, Buckwheat Groats [and Buckwheat whole] is suiting her, along with all whole grains. No processed grains though. If I will not eat processed food, I certainly will not give it to Pereg.

The proof, of course, will be when she has her next weigh-in and blood work-up in about 6 weeks - but if I can get most of what I want here, I am sure you should be able to get in Spain. What I cannot get here I buy from the company in the US from where I get all Pereg's and my vitamins and supplements. And other stuff!

(((hugs)))
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 10:52 AM
Ah, yes, the problems with having to translate everything - tell me about it! I have to translate from a different alphabet as well.

My problem with Pereg was, of course, totally different from yours. I first had to get all the weight she had gained due to her meds off her, then Ram wanted me to lower the protein content of her first meal due to a raised BUN level in her last blood test, and having gotten her back to her pre-epilepsy weight, I really did not want her to lose any more - but neither did I want her to gain again and somehow I had to fill her up with lower protein but easy to digest food to bulk out the already loads of veggies she has.

And it seems like Millet, Quinoa, Buckwheat Groats [and Buckwheat whole] is suiting her, along with all whole grains. No processed grains though. If I will not eat processed food, I certainly will not give it to Pereg.

The proof, of course, will be when she has her next weigh-in and blood work-up in about 6 weeks - but if I can get most of what I want here, I am sure you should be able to get in Spain. What I cannot get here I buy from the company in the US from where I get all Pereg's and my vitamins and supplements. And other stuff!

(((hugs)))
I know, a totally diferent problem... mine needs to put weight on!!! have found the grains here and will go and get them tomorrow together with goatsmilk and fish.. will have to be shop bought milk though as not found any fresh or crude one yet..
Good luck with Pereg at the next weigh-in too. xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

01-03-2013, 11:00 AM
I know, a totally diferent problem... mine needs to put weight on!!! have found the grains here and will go and get them tomorrow together with goatsmilk and fish.. will have to be shop bought milk though as not found any fresh or crude one yet..
Good luck with Pereg at the next weigh-in too. xx
Do not forget that with Pereg it meant not just weight control but avoiding any foods that might be contra-indicated for an epi dog. Especially when half the world were saying "got to be grain-free, got to be grain-free" without realising that some things - Buckwheat springs to mine - are not grains! Also whole grains are not bad - it is processed grains that can cause problems.

Do you have an electric rice cooker? Only I use mine to cook Millet etc in it - some of the mixed whole grains I do twice as they are easier to digest when over-cooked.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

01-03-2013, 11:07 AM
Do not forget that with Pereg it meant not just weight control but avoiding any foods that might be contra-indicated for an epi dog. Especially when half the world were saying "got to be grain-free, got to be grain-free" without realising that some things - Buckwheat springs to mine - are not grains! Also whole grains are not bad - it is processed grains that can cause problems.

Do you have an electric rice cooker? Only I use mine to cook Millet etc in it - some of the mixed whole grains I do twice as they are easier to digest when over-cooked.
No I don't have a rice cooker but a friend of mine has so I can borrow it from her, not a problem there.. will definitely get some and try it out.. anything for him to eat something that he will absorb xx
Page 5 of 7 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 >