View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

26-02-2013, 08:11 AM
More healing vibe on their way and that you find something soon to get him back to his old self.
mastines33
Almost a Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 08:25 AM
Thank you Lynn... well had some results back.. apparently The blood test shows problems with liver enzymes and the poo only shows bad digestion of proteins.. we are still waiting for the immunity results.. going past the vet this morning to pick up special food.. Purina for intestinal disorders and see how he gets on with that.. no doubt we need more tests done but just want him to stop having bright yellow diarrhea and put some weight on again.. he begs for food all the time so need to have a word too about how much and how often I can feed him.. just hope he will eat the dry food as he hasn't touched his usual one which his sister is eating from the bowl next to his.. also looked on the websites ( as you do ) and saw that milk thistle might help.. need to ask about that as well... thank you all for your kind words and hopefully our boy will be back to good health soon.. xx
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2013, 08:58 AM
I give Pereg Milk Thistle and SAMe to help protect her liver as the Phenobarbitone for her epilepsy is known to cause liver damage in some dogs. The following is part of an article someone on the epi List posted. I know it is an old article but it is still valid.

Daily Telegraph 28 Jun 2000.

Milk thistle is described as most widely used to detox the liver. Shown in more than 300 studies to protect liver cells from the poisoning effects of excess alcohol or drugs.

The herb is thought to work by inhibiting the inflammatory chemicals responsible for liver cell damage and maintaining the antioxidant liver enzyme, glutathione.

It also alters the outer structure of liver cells so toxins do not penetrate as readily and stimulates protein synthesis to aid live cell regeneration.
I do hope your lad picks up soon.

(((hugs))) xx
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear it's still ongoing with your poor dog. We have had giardia, the yellow diarrhea and the smell is consistent with this parasite.

Please talk to your vet about giardi and ask him whether you can dose with Panacur to at least rule it out. Good luck with him, the weight loss, and the ravenous for food is also consistent with this parasite.
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 09:56 AM
Originally Posted by mastines33 View Post
My poor boy of 18 months is feeling very unwell and I am very worried about him. he has had diarrhea for over a week now and losing weight rapidly. have been to the vet and waiting for the results of blood test and poo test.. I am giving him rice and chicken a few times a day and he is wolfing it down but stil horrible smelly yellow poo and can see his ribs and hip bones now.. not sure what else I can do.. dreading the results tomorrow but hopefully the news won't be too bad and we can have hime treated and he will be on the way to a quick recovery.. Anyone had this as well with their doggies??
Hi it sounds dietary my 6 year old was like that,and we then found she couldnt tolerate chicken,I think you shouldgo back to vet and say the chicken isnt settling her tum down,because with Holly she became dehydrated andhad to go on the drip,even though I had rung the vet countless times,they kept saying keep on with the chicken,until I took her downand waited to seethe senior vet,he then took notice and admitted her,within a fewdays she wasok,but the food he recommended was a very old food Chappie,but it did tne trick,and also goatsmilk,I was a bit worried when he suggested goatsmilk as thought dogs were intolerant to allthings dairy.So gave her the Chappie and when her poo had cleared up,then gave her the goatsmilk.She was asa pup should be and was thriving crystalgirl
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
I give Pereg Milk Thistle and SAMe to help protect her liver as the Phenobarbitone for her epilepsy is known to cause liver damage in some dogs. The following is part of an article someone on the epi List posted. I know it is an old article but it is still valid.

I do hope your lad picks up soon.

(((hugs))) xx
Hi Is this for dogs only, because I am on some really strong drugs,and when I have a bloodtest my kidney and liver are not doing very well.Though the last time I mentioned an alternative for my thryoid as Im on 125mg of the normal stuff they prescribed Thryo ox line (spelling is crap)I had heard about B12, my doctor was absolutely furious and she said we dont give people drugs just for the sake of it,we have struggled long and hard to get your Thyroid under control,so pleasedont start taking anything else,that was me told.crystalgirl
Gemini54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 10:15 AM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
Sorry to hear it's still ongoing with your poor dog. We have had giardia, the yellow diarrhea and the smell is consistent with this parasite.

Please talk to your vet about giardi and ask him whether you can dose with Panacur to at least rule it out. Good luck with him, the weight loss, and the ravenous for food is also consistent with this parasite.
Hi Helen

I have never heard of this particular virus,when I took Holly to the vet when she had her problems,I was asked what colour andthe vet said its proberly dietary.They never mentioned a virus which is a bit worrying,and if you follow what the vets say,the dog could get worse like my Holly and in the end had to ask for the senior vet,and she was seriously dehydrated. But being of the old school, how can you tell a qualified person how to suck eggs (the phrase Im thinking of you shouldnt teach your grannie to suck eggs) but if you dont your dog suffers, It is such a worry crystalgirl
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-02-2013, 10:24 AM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
...[snip]...Hi Is this for dogs only
No. The article was about Milk Thistle for humans. Both the Milk Thistle and SAMe I give to my dog are human supplements, not canine ones.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-02-2013, 12:12 PM
Originally Posted by crystalgirl View Post
Hi Helen

I have never heard of this particular virus,when I took Holly to the vet when she had her problems,I was asked what colour andthe vet said its proberly dietary.They never mentioned a virus which is a bit worrying,and if you follow what the vets say,the dog could get worse like my Holly and in the end had to ask for the senior vet,and she was seriously dehydrated. But being of the old school, how can you tell a qualified person how to suck eggs (the phrase Im thinking of you shouldnt teach your grannie to suck eggs) but if you dont your dog suffers, It is such a worry crystalgirl
Hi Crystal, it's not actually a virus, it's a parasite that lives in the gut, and it's very hard to get rid of once your dog has got it. Gnasher who posted on this thread has a lot of experience with it because it lives in soil, especially where the farmer has used human excrement as a fertiliser (which a lot of them do nowadays as it's cheap!). It also lives in dog poop and stagnant water. I know a lot about it because both my dogs contracted it once, and that's the reason we knew it had to be something and not dietry or otherwise because they were fed differently, so it had to be a bug of some kind with both dogs infected.

This yellow diarrhea is a classic symptom along with the horrendous smell, and once you've smelled it you will never forget it I promise you! The o/p mentioned the smell along with the yellow, hence my reason for suspecting the giardia.

Dog get yellow tinged diarrhea through SIBO too (severe intestinal bacteria overgrowth), and also through bile travelling through with undigested food, but that smell wouldn't be there, it's like nothing on earth that smell.

Good luck I strongly suggest you mention the giardia to your vet and he can dismiss it or think it might be a good idea to treat anyway to rule it out.
SusieL
Dogsey Junior
Female 

27-02-2013, 05:02 PM
Quite a lot of dogs seem to be intolerate of chicken these days so that might not be helping.
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 > Last »