View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-02-2013, 06:53 PM
I have the same problem with my gsd at the vets, due to a very bad experience when she was 6 months old, she was fine before that

I muzzle her when the vet is about to do something to her and it works for us. I don't use the basket type muzzle because she could still bark at him, which would then mean, she could lunge at him, so I use the soft, velcro type muzzle which shuts her up completely, so if she can't bark at him, I know she won't lunge either and will be very accommodating for him when I hold her, although she shakes, just like yours does.

When I first discovered she had turned aggressive towards male vets, I did a lot of visits to the surgery, just sitting there for 5/10 minutes, giving her bits of cheese, so that at least she relaxed in the waiting room without getting all stressed out. I did this lots of times. I also resorted to another branch of my vet's practice, in the hope that another surgery might cure her, but sadly, it didn't, once she was in the surgery itself, she knew exactly where she was!

I dread the thought of leaving her for a GA, God only knows what she'd be like, BUT, having said that, with this type of dog, they are often so much better when WE are not there. I've heard this from the vet nurses in the past, that my dog was "as good as gold and didn't need her muzzle" which surprised me somewhat. Maybe, and hopefully, your dog might be the same.

If they are going to give a pre-med before the GA, they often let you stay with them in another room whilst they get sleepy, so this could be your way to go? It didn't work for mine, she never got sleepy, she just got more anxious until they came to take her away but it could work for you.

I'd be inclined to go for that wrap around muzzle where just their nose pokes out, it's quite safe, and if you hold your dog's head, it's a quick procedure, he should be able to do what he wants to get his scrape? Good luck, and if he's a good vet, he will be nice and slow and calm, and not pounce on your dog from a great height cos that's what sets my dog off, the way some of them stand there, then proceed to walk straight over to her when she's cornered in a small room, causing her to lunge, and quite honestly, who can blame her!
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

20-02-2013, 07:37 PM
Thank you so much everyone for your advice I shall let You know how we get on - I rang to speak to my vet today to voice my worries but he wont be in till Monday and the Vet who I did manage to speak to says she cant really give me much advice as she only as whats on screen so I am better off calling Monday. Fingers crossed all will go well
Stamford
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

20-02-2013, 08:03 PM
I can't offer any different advice, but just wanted to wish you good luck for Tuesday pip.
Velvetboxers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-02-2013, 09:13 PM
Any time we had skin scrapes done, the vet did it there & then. Perhaps the vet thinks it would be less stressful for the dog if he was given a light anaesthetic. The dog will probably be put under for the least amount of time & anaesthetics are much lighter mowdays than they used to be.

'Rescue Remedies' - available from Boots, Health stores etc are very good at helping to calm animals down . You cn either add to their drinking water or drop directly onto their tongue about 30 Mins before the event, you could ask your vet on Monday if you can give it to your dog prior the anaesthetic on tues to help calm him. It was a vet that recommended its useage to us when one of our dogs had gone through a traumatic experience.
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-02-2013, 02:39 PM
I rang my vets again that fella must be sick of me by now I just wanted him to talk me through it as Alfie is a large dog with anxiety he has decided he is going to sedate him on the car park at the back of the surgery I so cant wait for tomorrow to be over and done with,
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-02-2013, 02:53 PM
Originally Posted by pip1976 View Post
I rang my vets again that fella must be sick of me by now I just wanted him to talk me through it as Alfie is a large dog with anxiety he has decided he is going to sedate him on the car park at the back of the surgery I so cant wait for tomorrow to be over and done with,
Keeping my fingers crossed that everything goes OK tomorrow. (((hugs)))
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-02-2013, 02:58 PM
Thank you Malka I shall need it x
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-02-2013, 03:03 PM
Originally Posted by pip1976 View Post
Thank you Malka I shall need it x
If you knew where Pereg had to have skin scrapes from, plus some hairs cut off and a few actually plucked out...

...and the little flirt just lay on her back and let Ram carry on!

And muggins here had to anoint all round that area with special cream four times a day!
pip1976
Dogsey Junior
Male 

25-02-2013, 03:13 PM
Awww they are our fur babies here is the picture if anyone is interested his little red spots on his body are dry and flaky they have gone since using Melaseb shampoo twice a week but this is his left eye he as also developed a small spot on his muzzle! ;(
Malka
Dogsey Veteran

25-02-2013, 03:35 PM
Your link did not work but here is a picture of Pereg's spots - which then spread...

...same area though

Page 2 of 6 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »