View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 11:58 AM
This is not directed at any breed in particular, but should I be looking to purchase "certain" breeds, the FIRST thing I would ask would be how much, because there are so many people breeding coloured or types of dogs for ridiculous amounts of money, to me they would stand out like a sore thumb! JMO.
Dawn.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 11:59 AM
Originally Posted by Luz
Read this thread with interest I can understand both points of view and the need for privacy on this subject as there are some unscrupulous people about to make money and it's not been unheard of on our forum (northern inuit) of these dogs being taken from backgardens etc to be re-sold or other un-namable things. This is thread has been put on the open chat and anybody could be reading with these ideas in mind.
I agree Luz...But I know that wasn't why Archer asking though
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by iwlass
Without intending to "fan the flames" - some good breeders will "drop their price" if they think the home is right for their pup and the prospective owner genuinely can't afford it .
I think its definitely worth contacting breeders; when you find one you are happy with you can build up a relationship with them in anticipation of future litters
That's what I would do and thought anyone else would do the same If I was interested I wouldn't ask a friend to come and ask on a general dog forum I would talk with breeders directly myself, but I guess we all have our own ways
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Borderdawn
This is not directed at any breed in particular, but should I be looking to purchase "certain" breeds, the FIRST thing I would ask would be how much, because there are so many people breeding coloured or types of dogs for ridiculous amounts of money, to me they would stand out like a sore thumb! JMO.
Dawn.
It would definitly be one of the things I would ask obviously but I can't imagine contacting a breeder and going 'right, how much' in the first words I said...lol

I would chat first find all out all about the breeder, get a feel for them ask about the dogs in all aspects and then cost would be one of my last questions personally....

I think some people are getting me wrong...I have no problem with people wanting to know the cost of a dog they may be interested in...of course at some stage you have to find out...lol...

I was just worried that the question may have been asked not because the friend in question was really interested but because of some other reason...I.E. to pad out some kind negative opinion against the breed...

Sorry, I'm really not that paranoid but when you have seen all I have seen and heard from people who do not appreciate the Northern Inuit Dog, because it isn't officially recognised because they think they are still nothing more than a mongrel etc etc then you will be used to having people ask out of the blue 'how much' because it helps strengthen an argument against them...I.E....'ha, not only are they mongrels, cross breeds, wolf hybrids (and whatever else they have gotten worong) but they cost this much!'...etc...I have already said this most likely isn't the case here, I would be full of joy if it isn't, but my initial feeling was that the question may have been for research for the wrong reason.

Mini sumed it up pritty good as usual
Mick_B
New Member!
Male 

10-08-2005, 12:53 PM
can understand how you feel myschievous my two main breeds being breeds that have no kc recognition but saying that i am very proud of my dogs what they stand for and what they represent im always happy to talk about my dogs to anyone and never ashamed to admit to what we paid for them wether or not people happen to think that we have been "ripped off" i am asuming the NI has their own breed club? (sorry i dont know anything about them) so any dedicated breeder would sell puppies with pedigree papers and any pup i am asuming would be registered with the relevant NI club? as our breeds do have their own breed club and most breeders do sell with pedigree papers. just be proud of your dogs i think they are beautiful dogs if anyone is really intrested in these dogs, genuinely intrested its not to me all about what they are worth and the current price of pups takes a bit more asking and learning about them before any cost of a pup comes into it of course this is just my opinion.
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 01:58 PM
When we were looking at getting a dog we had a few breeds in mind, one being the Utonagan. We had no idea of price and decided to pursue this breed based on its size, temperament, looks, exercise requirements and lack of health problems - all of which we found out from the Society's web page.

Then we rang the Chairperson to enquire if she could let us know if any pups were available and to ask more about the breed. She was more than forthcoming with information, told us everything and more that we wanted to know, elaborating on the website's info, and demonstrated a serious passion and love of these dogs. She told us she had pups and that people put their names down for them, but that she had a couple still available. She told us what sex they were and suggested we come and visit her and her dogs and pups so that:

1) we could see them for ourselves, meet the dogs, see her set up, ask questions and be sure we wanted a Utonagan
2) she could chat to us and see if we were suitable.

We were impressed with her obvious concern that her dogs went to a good home and her openness and then we asked about price. Obviously we had a figure in mind, beyond which we might not have gone, but we wanted to wait until we met the dogs and needless to say we were blown away. And we have been further impressed by the aftercare, advice and interest and are still in touch with her.

I can't speak for the NI regarding health - it really would be best to speak to a representative of the society. With the Utonagan, they only breed from dogs registered with the society and these undergo hip scoring, although health problems are, so far, few and far between and they are trying to keep it this way. They have increased the gene pool by importing and exporting dogs. However, there are unscrupulous breeders out there who are not members and who are trying to sell dogs that are not Utonagan.

I can only reiterate that the best way to find out more about the breed is to contact the relevant society and speak to the representatives there. They will be more than happy to answer any questions you have, and certainly the Utonagan Societies are very open and encourage this. And you could always ask to visit a breeder with pups - I know of a number of breeders who are happy to do this.

Just out of interest, what is it about the NI that has attracted your friend?
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Mischevious
You are right...they are not a breed I would consider OR recommend and yes I am a freind of Thordells.However I do have a mind of my own and Jackie and I have never exchanged words EVER concerning inuits...I have no idea what you and her 'conversed' about.I have no problems with them 'existing' however I cannot see them ever becoming a recognised breed since after 20 years they still breed no where near true to type and vary HUGELY in looks..but then thats JMO
My freind saw a dog in Cumbria at the weekend he described as 'wolf looking' with blue eyes and the owner of said dog told him it was a wolf dog!! I have explained to him about inuits and Utonagons and have,as I said,looked up as much as possible on the net.I have also emailed 2 people from the breed club concerning health tests to which I have had an unsatisfactory reply IMO.Inuits are not a dog I would own...however if a freind of mine wants to buy a dog I will do everything I can to make sure he purchases a healthy happy hound from a good breeder and that the breed is suitable for his circumstances....for the dogs sake as much as his.
Unfortuately Alan is not on the net and hence cannot email you.
Thankyou for your apology...you have got my motives 100% wrong.I am neither underhand nor do I run down other peoples breeds on other forums etc.I do not hide the the way I feel about your breed BUT I also do not feel the need to ask questions to fuel some kind of attack against them.

Originally Posted by myschievous
I am really sorry if I have jumped to any wrong conclusions here Archer and forgive me if I had done so....

The things is and I may be hugely wrong but I really get the vibe that you would be one of the last people on here to even want their friend to consider a Northern Inuit Dog...In no way am I saying they are not worthy of your friends of your attention because they are smashing dogs But it is just a feeling I get and if you were me you would have had quite a few people ask you about them for the wrong reasons, I.E. to fuel their amunition when writting or forming opinions against them, this doesn't happen everyday but it still happens...There are many people who would rather the Northern Inuit Dog just didn't exist because of not yet being offically 'recognised' After talks with Thordell on another thread and realising that you and her are friends I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that the answer wasn't as innocent as it may seem...Sorry if that is not the case...People before you jump me for saying that, I am indeed entitled to my opinion and I am allowed to express that in a non offensive way which I believe I have done...If I hadn't of had those posts back and forth the other day with Thordell I wouldn't be wondering why the question from Archer...Yes I know you should not continue one thread into a new one but sorry it is human nature to remember what has been said...

I will tell you all I know as an owner (not a breeder) and will gladly talk the hind legs off a donkey about the dogs but it just didn't feel right?

Archer I am truely sorry if I have got it all wrong but I am trying my best to explain my self here!...

Why not have your friend email me for a chat and I will put him in touch with the right people to talk about the dogs, tempraments, charateristics, health issues and any other areas including even cost
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 02:07 PM
Mick - course you are proud of your dogs and quite rightly. I have to agree; for the sweet-natured, intelligent, funny, loving, fantastic spirited companion I have got, I don't regret a single penny I have paid out for him.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 02:20 PM
Thankyou for your post
I have been on the Utonagon societys website and msut say was very impreesed with their attitude towards health testing....it is a credit to you breed.As I have said I have contacted the Inuit club and their replies concerning health tests were concerning.
The first thing that attracted my friend was looks....and although this is not a reason to buy a breed it is the thing that usually 'gets us started' on the research into the breed.
Once again thankyou for your very helpful post.

Originally Posted by Lucky Star
When we were looking at getting a dog we had a few breeds in mind, one being the Utonagan. We had no idea of price and decided to pursue this breed based on its size, temperament, looks, exercise requirements and lack of health problems - all of which we found out from the Society's web page.

Then we rang the Chairperson to enquire if she could let us know if any pups were available and to ask more about the breed. She was more than forthcoming with information, told us everything and more that we wanted to know, elaborating on the website's info, and demonstrated a serious passion and love of these dogs. She told us she had pups and that people put their names down for them, but that she had a couple still available. She told us what sex they were and suggested we come and visit her and her dogs and pups so that:

1) we could see them for ourselves, meet the dogs, see her set up, ask questions and be sure we wanted a Utonagan
2) she could chat to us and see if we were suitable.

We were impressed with her obvious concern that her dogs went to a good home and her openness and then we asked about price. Obviously we had a figure in mind, beyond which we might not have gone, but we wanted to wait until we met the dogs and needless to say we were blown away. And we have been further impressed by the aftercare, advice and interest and are still in touch with her.

I can't speak for the NI regarding health - it really would be best to speak to a representative of the society. With the Utonagan, they only breed from dogs registered with the society and these undergo hip scoring, although health problems are, so far, few and far between and they are trying to keep it this way. They have increased the gene pool by importing and exporting dogs. However, there are unscrupulous breeders out there who are not members and who are trying to sell dogs that are not Utonagan.

I can only reiterate that the best way to find out more about the breed is to contact the relevant society and speak to the representatives there. They will be more than happy to answer any questions you have, and certainly the Utonagan Societies are very open and encourage this. And you could always ask to visit a breeder with pups - I know of a number of breeders who are happy to do this.

Just out of interest, what is it about the NI that has attracted your friend?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 02:28 PM
Hi Mick

can understand how you feel myschievous my two main breeds being breeds that have no kc recognition but saying that i am very proud of my dogs what they stand for and what they represent im always happy to talk about my dogs to anyone and never ashamed to admit to what we paid for them wether or not people happen to think that we have been "ripped off"
As people know here, I talk for England about my two and the breed in general

and your right about the price I consider it money worth spent on my two another person might think I was mad but hey that's my choice, we all have different opinions on the worth of different things, what one person thinks is great another wont see what all the fuss is about. You have two choices, to pay or not...No one twists anyones arm and forces them to buy.

the NI has their own breed club? (sorry i dont know anything about them) so any dedicated breeder would sell puppies with pedigree papers and any pup i am asuming would be registered with the relevant NI club? as our breeds do have their own breed club and most breeders do sell with pedigree papers.
Your right like your breed we have our own society that keeps record of all details and registers legitimate pups. Each puppy has it's own pedigree issued to owners and special registration number and pups born from any unregistered dogs will not receive registraion.

just be proud of your dogs i think they are beautiful dogs
Oh I am more than proud of them, that shines through when I post about them here with stories and pictures

if anyone is really intrested in these dogs, genuinely intrested its not to me all about what they are worth and the current price of pups takes a bit more asking and learning about them before any cost of a pup comes into it of course this is just my opinion.
I also agree
Closed Thread
Page 5 of 13 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 > Last »