Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-08-2005, 10:32 PM
take you pick ................ you have 1 you have em all.....lol

how about cats...birds..rabbit thrown in for good measure?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-08-2005, 10:35 PM
lol
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 09:51 AM
Right...having been at work and reading this last night I am finally at home and able to answer a few points.
Firstly I didn't feel the need to explain anything when I posted ....I thought people on here would have known by now I am not the kind of owner who would buy or allow a friend to buy a breed without research.
Secondly,we have done the research about the breed on the net...this way you get a view of the breed from more than one source rether than just from the person you are on the phone to.The only info we could not find was 1/ price. 2/info regarding health tests. Now if I phone a breeder and ask aout health tests I will either get a helpful answer or maybe even some crap such as 'we don't health test because we don't need to'.....that is something that will tell me a lot about the breed and the breeder.If I phone and ask for a price,not needing to ask about other breed characteristics due to having done my 'homework' I'm likely to get the same sort of answer that I got from Mischevious.....
Thirdly PRICE! The cost of the dog is not a primary concern HOWEVER everyone has a price to which they will see any item is worth paying for.If I am looking to buy a car for eg and after research I find several that are suitable then price can play a factor in the decision.I love my elkhounds dearly but if someone had told me on enquiry that they cost £2000 I would have looked for another breed.
If I cannot find any more info on health testing in NI's then I will be seriously trying to persuade him to look at other breeds.£500 for a dog that is not a recognised breed and that has been bred with no health tests on the parents is not something I can encourage.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 10:52 AM
I am really sorry if I have jumped to any wrong conclusions here Archer and forgive me if I had done so....

The things is and I may be hugely wrong but I really get the vibe that you would be one of the last people on here to even want their friend to consider a Northern Inuit Dog...In no way am I saying they are not worthy of your friends of your attention because they are smashing dogs But it is just a feeling I get and if you were me you would have had quite a few people ask you about them for the wrong reasons, I.E. to fuel their amunition when writting or forming opinions against them, this doesn't happen everyday but it still happens...There are many people who would rather the Northern Inuit Dog just didn't exist because of not yet being offically 'recognised' After talks with Thordell on another thread and realising that you and her are friends I couldn't help but come to the conclusion that the answer wasn't as innocent as it may seem...Sorry if that is not the case...People before you jump me for saying that, I am indeed entitled to my opinion and I am allowed to express that in a non offensive way which I believe I have done...If I hadn't of had those posts back and forth the other day with Thordell I wouldn't be wondering why the question from Archer...Yes I know you should not continue one thread into a new one but sorry it is human nature to remember what has been said...

I will tell you all I know as an owner (not a breeder) and will gladly talk the hind legs off a donkey about the dogs but it just didn't feel right?

Archer I am truely sorry if I have got it all wrong but I am trying my best to explain my self here!...

Why not have your friend email me for a chat and I will put him in touch with the right people to talk about the dogs, tempraments, charateristics, health issues and any other areas including even cost
Wolfie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 10:53 AM
I can only speak as far as Utonagan's are concerned and they sell for roughly £600 and upwards.

I'm sure your friend is researching the breed. Assuming that they are similar, N.I's are not for the faint hearted, as I'm sure many of our N.I owners will tell you.

I'm biased to N.I's and Utonagan's. They are fantastic dogs with loads of character (stubborn, admittedly ) but, once you own one, you'll never look back. I wouldn't swap Luca for the world
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 11:09 AM
I've not yet known of any N.I.D's being sold for over £600 but between 4 and 6 I think is what is considered average. I was happy to pay that and not once have I ever regretted it, registered or not, my choice, I could have decided not to but I personally considered the dogs worth it, many wont and they can obviously decide against parting with their cash for one and choose something else.

There, the cost is no secret of mine...lol...seeing as others will add what they think the cost in I have told you straight so you don't have to play the guessing game, that wasn't intended.

Still have your friend email me and I can point him in the right direction to have proper answers given about health etc etc. I only know of one member, a breeder, who comes on this board who would be qualified to tell you anything here and she doesn't visit that often, so rather than have people take their best shot and have you have confusing information to give your friend it would be best to talk with people directly, who really know.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

10-08-2005, 11:16 AM
I can understand why the NI and Ut people are defensive when questions are asked , I once read dreadful things about these lovely dogs on another forum and people even questioned the reason for their existence. But we are all friends here trying to help and inform and know that no offence was intended on anyone's part, maybe we can go back to the original question... ..many of us are interested in these lovely dogs and would like learn more...so if anyone can give any information or help Archer with info on prices (maybe by PM ) or any info on health testing it may also help future posters .

Sorry Mys posted at the same time so did not see your helpful post until I had posted.
Luz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 11:32 AM
Read this thread with interest I can understand both points of view and the need for privacy on this subject as there are some unscrupulous people about to make money and it's not been unheard of on our forum (northern inuit) of these dogs being taken from backgardens etc to be re-sold or other un-namable things. This thread has been put on the open chat and anybody could be reading with these ideas in mind.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2005, 11:39 AM
Thank you mini

How come you always are there to save the day ...lol
iwlass
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-08-2005, 11:44 AM
Without intending to "fan the flames" - some good breeders will "drop their price" if they think the home is right for their pup and the prospective owner genuinely can't afford it .
I think its definitely worth contacting breeders; when you find one you are happy with you can build up a relationship with them in anticipation of future litters
Closed Thread
Page 4 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 > Last »